Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    #russiansdidit

Seriously, this witch hunt is amazing. An old art of making an enemy out of thin air and bravely fighting them, eliminating the undesirables as "agents of the Enemy", making money on "funding the fight against the Enemy", passing laws that "help protect us from the Enemy"... It's just like in 1930s' Germany.

It's really funny to watch conservatives suddenly be buddy-buddy with Russians as soon as it would just slap liberals in the face.

At the expense of throwing the nation to the wolves too. Is there no end to the low conservatives will fall to just to make sure they have some empty political victory?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's really funny to watch conservatives suddenly be buddy-buddy with Russians as soon as it would just slap liberals in the face.

At the expense of throwing the nation to the wolves too. Is there no end to the low conservatives will fall to just to make sure they have some empty political victory?
    It's not liking Putin. It's being impressed how this poor, collapsing nation lead by a vain dictator has pulled massive upsets against our big, bad intelligence communities.

Putin is probably jacking off to people regarding him as a threat again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    #russiansdidit

Seriously, this witch hunt is amazing. An old art of making an enemy out of thin air and bravely fighting them, eliminating the undesirables as "agents of the Enemy", making money on "funding the fight against the Enemy", passing laws that "help protect us from the Enemy"... It's just like in 1930s' Germany.
    You don't seem to understand what a "witch hunt" is or the context in which it's used. It's not a witch hunt in the spirit of the term if you keep finding witches.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    You don't seem to understand what a "witch hunt" is or the context in which it's used. It's not a witch hunt in the spirit of the term if you keep finding witches.
    Witch hunts are always about finding witches and burning them. The most convenient attribute of the process is the reversal of cause-effect relation: anyone who's burnt on the stake, becomes a witch. Couldn't have done wrong. If someone got evicted, exiled, or executed, it must've been for a reason.

Witch hunts are always about finding witches and burning them. The most convenient attribute of the process is the reversal of cause-effect relation: anyone who's burnt on the stake, becomes a witch. Couldn't have done wrong. If someone got evicted, exiled, or executed, it must've been for a reason.
    Wait..... You are Russian? No wonder you think this is a witch hunt. Dear Leader Putin might be implicated in collusion with Trump to get Trump elected.

It's not a witch hunt because Russia is not the real issue here. For all of its supposed military power, Russia is a flyspeck on the world stage these days, they will ultimately blunder into some trap and ruin themselves in short order. The real problem is that this whole fiasco has demonstrated the willingness of some Americans to submit to foreign influence to spite domestic enemies, setting a dangerous precedent for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Wait..... You are Russian? No wonder you think this is a witch hunt. Dear Leader Putin might be implicated in collusion with Trump to get Trump elected.
    Though it's not that he wanted Trump elected that is the problem. It's why. In fact we don't even know that he did want Trump elected. We only know that he helped Trump. But we don't yet know that they colluded, that's what they're investigating. The calculation from the Kremlin might have been that Clinton would win, but by helping Trump the way they did they simply sought to de-legitimize not only Clinton but American democracy as well. It could be that with Trump they bit off more than they could chew. Time will tell.

The why is the interesting part. Anyone who has not yet recognized that Russia is in the business of attempting to degrade and break down liberal/Western democracy needs to seriously wake up. They oppose the ideals of the Enlightenment on which our societies are built. They want the Russian people to believe that Western countries are just as corrupt as their country, so they don't see that they can reach for something better. That way the autocracy and the oligarchy of the Russian regime can continue. Both to help that domestic effort but also to ultimately expand this order they are constantly seeking to create alternative narratives to sow distrust and doubt in us about the legitimacy of our democracies by way of their various propaganda outlets and online trolls while they fund extremist political parties and candidates in the West. To that end, they want to see the US disengage from the world, the EU to break up and NATO to disband. Divide and conquer.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2017-05-28 at 12:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm Russian, and I also have at least minimal historic knowledge. And I also read books. Considering that the essence of politics hasn't changed since ancient Rome, it would be silly not to see the patterns repeat themselves over and over. Each time there's a big political fuss in the media, a man with at least basicly functioning brain asks himself, "what are they trying to distract me from?". Usually it's about blaming the foreign "witches" in domestic problems. Works all the time, because people eagerly believe that their way of life has been the only proper one. Most of all I like the lessons by Goering and Gebbels, they knew how to control the crowd.

Besides, why isn't anyone talking about the murder of that WikiLeaks whistleblower? Because it doesn't fit the official narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The why is the interesting part. Anyone who has not yet recognized that Russia is in the business of attempting to degrade and break down liberal/Western democracy needs to seriously wake up. They oppose the ideals of the Enlightenment on which our societies are built. They want the Russian people to believe that Western countries are just as corrupt as their country, so they don't see that they can reach for something better. That way the autocracy and the oligarchy of the Russian regime can continue. Both to help that domestic effort but also to ultimately expand this order they are constantly seeking to create alternative narratives to sow distrust and doubt in us about the legitimacy of our democracies by way of their various propaganda outlets and online trolls while they fund extremist political parties and candidates in the West. To that end, they want to see the US disengage from the world, the EU to break up and NATO to disband. Divide and conquer.
    Dude. You make an impression of a person who thinks he lives in a flawless society, because your standart of life is pretty high. By this measure, you're deeply wrong, because Saudis are much richer and influential than any of your democratic governments, and they live according to Sharia Law, which includes zero women's rights and executions of gays by beheading. And not a single fucking hypocrite in the West dares to call them on that, because they're pretty much bought. Point being - whoever has the most influence, financial or military, is the right one. It hasn't changed since the dawn of mankind. If you think that your opinion matters to your democratic overlords, try to remember whether you voted for crusades against Iraq, Libya and Syria, and whether anyone asked you if you minded the refugees that would flock to Europe.

And why the hell do you people believe that we have some cult of Putin? It's your media that's obsessed with him, not ours...
    Last edited by Haven; 2017-05-28 at 06:39 AM.

Well, I'm Russian, and I also have at least minimal historic knowledge. And I also read books. Considering that the essence of politics hasn't changed since ancient Rome, it would be silly not to see the patterns repeat themselves over and over. Each time there's a big political fuss in the media, a man with at least basicly functioning brain asks himself, "what are they trying to distract me from?". Usually it's about blaming the foreign "witches" in domestic problems. Works all the time, because people eagerly believe that their way of life has been the only proper one. Most of all I like the lessons by Goering and Gebbels, they knew how to control the crowd.

Besides, why isn't anyone talking about the murder of that WikiLeaks whistleblower? Because it doesn't fit the official narrative.
    What murder of the wikileaks whistleblower? If you are talking about Seth Rich, that is nothing but a conspiracy theory and there is no evidence that he was their whistleblower. There is more evidence that your government was in on it than Seth Rich was.

15+ Year Old Account
    What murder of the wikileaks whistleblower? If you are talking about Seth Rich, that is nothing but a conspiracy theory and there is no evidence that he was their whistleblower. There is more evidence that your government was in on it than Seth Rich was.
    Democrats simply can't handle the fact that they lost despite controlling the media. Though it's supposed to kinda flatter me that Russia is seen as being this influential and powerful in manipulation. Russia secretly leads a whole war in Donbass without OSCE noticing a single regiment, Russian stealth submarines encircle Britain and no one can catch them, Russian hackers choose who becomes American president... What, is US even a superpower still?

Dude. You make an impression of a person who thinks he lives in a flawless society, because your standart of life is pretty high. By this measure, you're deeply wrong, because Saudis are much richer and influential than any of your democratic governments, and they live according to Sharia Law, which includes zero women's rights and executions of gays by beheading. And not a single fucking hypocrite in the West dares to call them on that, because they're pretty much bought. Point being - whoever has the most influence, financial or military, is the right one. It hasn't changed since the dawn of mankind. If you think that your opinion matters to your democratic overlords, try to remember whether you voted for crusades against Iraq, Libya and Syria, and whether anyone asked you if you minded the refugees that would flock to Europe.

And why the hell do you people believe that we have some cult of Putin? It's your media that's obsessed with him, not ours...
    When did I mention standards of living? I'm talking about the fact that we political and personal freedoms that you lack in Putin's Russia, which is not surprising since only 25 years ago you came out of a totalitarian state only to see your country's wealth being grabbed by a handful of people who now conduct scam elections and control the media, whereas our freedom have been progressively advanced for hundreds of years, in the last 70 in an unprecedented way. Like how we have free elections, independent judiciaries, checks and balances on our governments, rule of law, a free press, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and basic human rights that means we won't be persecuted for our sexuality, religion, etc. Things you lack in Russia. About the Iraq War.. most European countries opposed that and didn't participate. And with regards to the refugees, what would have been the option for the incumbent governments at the time? Shoot them at the border? That's insane. But you're the exact thing I was talking about. You think our society is the same as yours, as corrupt, that our democracy is a scam too. Well, that's exactly what the Russian regime wants you to believe, and they're trying to spread that perception into the minds of people in the West too.

#russiansdidit

You mean like the whole illegal immigrants thing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    When did I mention standards of living? I'm talking about the fact that we political and personal freedoms that you lack in Putin's Russia, which is not surprising since only 25 years ago you came out of a totalitarian state only to see your country's wealth being grabbed by a handful of people who now conduct scam elections and control the media, whereas our freedom have been progressively advanced for hundreds of years, in the last 70 in an unprecedented way. Like how we have free elections, independent judiciaries, checks and balances on our governments, rule of law, a free press, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and basic human rights that means we won't be persecuted for our sexuality, religion, etc. Things you lack in Russia. About the Iraq War.. most European countries opposed that and didn't participate. And with regards to the refugees, what would have been the option for the incumbent governments at the time? Shoot them at the border? That's insane. But you're the exact thing I was talking about. You think our society is the same as yours, as corrupt, that our democracy is a scam too. Well, that's exactly what the Russian regime wants you to believe, and they're trying to spread that perception into the minds of people in the West too.
    But it's comforting to believe that your options are not pure formality, that "free press" doesn't have sponsors who dictate the agenda (ever heard of Udo Ulfkotte's "Bought Journalists"?), that theoretically "free elections" aren't controlled by media or the fact that one person can vote multiple times and no one would check that, no registration needed (Russians abroad have actually checked that)...

Not to mention that your "hundreds of years of progressing freedoms" have been built upon pillaging the resources of colonies in Asia and Africa, and plain and simple slave labor.

Oh, right, but how dare I question the perfection of your world and think that there's greed and dishonesty in the shining First World?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    You mean like the whole illegal immigrants thing?
    I meant how NSDAP turned normal people into tyrannic maniacs that treated Jews and Slavs worse than cattle because their independent and free media told them with authority that "hordes from the East" and "greedy jews" were plotting against them, the best and rightest people in the world, the true pureblood Aryans.

I meant how NSDAP turned normal people into tyrannic maniacs that treated Jews and Slavs worse than cattle because their independent and free media told them with authority that "hordes from the East" and "greedy jews" were plotting against them, the best and rightest people in the world, the true pureblood Aryans.
    I know that you were alluding to that. I just wanted to point out that the same could be applied to how the other side was building up the boogeyman of illegal immigrants streaming into the US in massive droves to murder, steal, and vote for Hillary. Which is not to say the stuff that Breitbart produces on a nigh daily basis.

#russiansdidit

And yet i bet you still believe Hillary and the benghazi bullshit? Now THAT was a witch hunt! At least Dumps troubles has evidence...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I know that you were alluding to that. I just wanted to point out that the same could be applied to how the other side was building up the boogeyman of illegal immigrants streaming into the US in massive droves to murder, steal, and vote for Hillary. Which is not to say the stuff that Breitbart produces on a nigh daily basis.
    Don't the republicans say that literally all the time anyway?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    It is my belief that 2017 will be the year where the world couldn't handle the reality that a political opponent won fairly and instead turned to political propaganda to weave their problems away.

You are about 8 years to late for this claim.

Don't the republicans say that literally all the time anyway?
    Yeah, that's why it is not exactly a new observation, is what I am saying. But it is too early to call this a witchhunt. There is an investigation ongoing and who knows, maybe they actually find something? The difference between this and witch trials is that no one is killing the witch and then base their innocence on that. There is proper rule of law being exercised, so everything is fine.
    Trump just calls it a witch hunt because he says he is innocent and everyone should just believe it. Therefore, anyone saying the opposite is clearly trying to get him punished even though he is innocent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You are about 8 years to late for this claim.
    The main difference is that before, it was just Republicans. Today, it's the world. Or maybe just a group in the US being way over the top. It's hard to tell with the public platforms available today.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..