Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    DC movies outside of batman suck so no it will flop hard.
    So does that mean Batman and Robin doesn't suck? Since it is a Batman film?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What does that woman wonder about?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It worked for Fury Road.
    Not for me it didn't(I found it to be quite boring), and, for me, that's the most important fact. I'm not intending to sound full of myself here, but, the point of my post (that you quoted) was to state what would, or would not, make a movie good in my eyes.

Similar to a lot video games these days, movies are more concerned with flash than content. I'll take a movie with zero flash and a great story over a movie with lots of flash and 50% story.

For example, Logan: lots of people liked/loved the movie. Watching it at home I, literally, found myself wondering away from it every 5-10 minutes cause I find action scenes to be insanely boring: oh look the screen is vibrating again, excuse me while I yawn. This is my concern for Wonder Woman: heavy on flash, light on story. Which, if its true, I think will be a shame because the little bit of story that I have seen in the trailers has potential. I should note, I felt the same way about Logan before seeing it.

On the flip side, look at the movie version of Watchmen. There was some flash but the story was there, the bulk of the story, if not the whole story, was presented in the movie. Sadly, the movie was considered a failure but for me I thought it was very well done, and well done for one reason: the movie successfully transferred the story to the screen.

Anyway...

I think about what I loved about comic books (and movies) when I was a kid : the story. Early comic books aren't about flash. Early comic books were about a story. The movie versions of many comic books don't adhere to what made comic books great in the first place: story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Not for me it didn't(I found it to be quite boring), and, for me, that's the most important fact. I'm not intending to sound full of myself here, but, the point of my post (that you quoted) was to state what would, or would not, make a movie good in my eyes.

Similar to a lot video games these days, movies are more concerned with flash than content. I'll take a movie with zero flash and a great story over a movie with lots of flash and 50% story.
    Movies are a visual medium. Not novels.

That's precisely why people loved Fury Road. It communicated its story almost entirely through visual means.

For example, Logan: lots of people liked/loved the movie. Watching it at home I, literally, found myself wondering away from it every 5-10 minutes cause I find action scenes to be insanely boring: oh look the screen is vibrating again, excuse me while I yawn. This is my concern for Wonder Woman: heavy on flash, light on story. Which, if its true, I think will be a shame because the little bit of story that I have seen in the trailers has potential. I should note, I felt the same way about Logan before seeing it.

On the flip side, look at the movie version of Watchmen. There was some flash but the story was there, the bulk of the story, if not the whole story, was presented in the movie. Sadly, the movie was considered a failure but for me I thought it was very well done, and well done for one reason: the movie successfully transferred the story to the screen.

Anyway...

I think about what I loved about comic books (and movies) when I was a kid : the story. Early comic books aren't about flash. Early comic books were about a story. The movie versions of many comic books don't adhere to what made comic books great in the first place: story.
    Again: because films are visual mediums.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-05-28 at 09:52 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Until DC proves otherwise, the only sensible thing to do at this point is just to assume that every movie they release will be beyond awful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Movies are a visual medium. Not novels.
    That's precisely why people loved Fury Road. It communicated its story almost entirely through visual means.
    Again: because films are visual mediums.
    This doesn't talk to my point. Of course movies are visual. Of course novels are not visual. Regardless of the medium they both should have a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    This doesn't talk to my point. Of course movies are visual. Of course novels are not visual. Regardless of the medium they both should have a good story.
    If you don't think Logan or Fury Road had a good story, then you must not have watched the same movies as the rest of us. Fury Road had an awesome story, even with the fact that it had less dialogue than half of the trailers for most movies, and Logan is probably the best thing to come out of the X-men franchise (next to Deadpool) in nearly a decade and a half. There are loads of movies out there with bad stories, both of those are not among them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    If you don't think Logan or Fury Road had a good story, then you must not have watched the same movies as the rest of us. Fury Road had an awesome story, even with the fact that it had less dialogue than half of the trailers for most movies, and Logan is probably the best thing to come out of the X-men franchise (next to Deadpool) in nearly a decade and a half. There are loads of movies out there with bad stories, both of those are not among them.
    See now, Deadpool I did think had a good story and it had enough dialog to be entertaining for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. Fury Road and Logan.... boooooring.

Edit:
    I've distracted the thread, temporarily, from the OP and I didn't intend to. I merely want(ed) to express my desire/hope that the movie has more of a story than other movies of the same genre. From the previews it looks to have a decent story. Hopefully it gets fully flushed out in the movie.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-05-28 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What does that woman wonder about?
    Mostly about bondage.

William Moulton Marston, Wonder Woman's creator, is one of the most fascinating people to ever create comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Moulton_Marston

Its worth a read. I wonder what modern America would make of him, especially him being the creator of basically the strongest (figuratively) female hero in comics history.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2017-05-28 at 10:24 AM.

Deleted
    Deadpool I did think had a good story
    Deadpool had a story?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Deadpool had a story?
    Yes, it did. Shame you missed it.

Edit:
    I should say, I also thought Logan and Fury Road had a story. Logan, in particular I was very interested in, story wise. The snippets in previews had me thinking I was in for a really good story. The story in Logan wasn't bad its just that there wasn't much there: thin soup comes to mind. And that to me is really sad because, with Logan in particular, there is A LOT of potential there for a "meaty" story. Anyway, I'm mainly posting this edit because I don't want to come across as a "hater". I didn't hate Logan, or Fury Road. I just wish they had more to chew on story wise rather than being another vehicle to showcase modern day special effects.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-05-28 at 01:33 PM.

I for one liked Batman vs Superman, but when was the last time we had a good movie with a female hero starring the movie?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    I for one liked Batman vs Superman, but when was the last time we had a good movie with a female hero starring the movie?
    My personal opinion about the reason for this is that they always try to push some sort of agenda and also focus waaaay to much on the main character being female, instead of just trying to make an entertaining movie in which it doesn't matter what gender someone is.

Wonder women, at least going by what I've seen from the trailers, is also pushing the feminist agenda pretty hard, which is too bad really.
    Just focus on a good story and exiting action and keep the rest out of these movies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Kill Bill V1 & V2. Not everyone will agree, for sure, but I thought both movies were very good and Uma did a great job as a leading lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Wonder women, at least going by what I've seen from the trailers, is also pushing the feminist agenda pretty hard, which is too bad really. Just focus on a good story and exiting action and keep the rest out of these movies.
    Umm...the movie is set in World War I. The movie can't help but be seen in a more "feminist" angle since women in combat wasn't a thing to be even thought of...let alone a consideration. A woman-warrior? Completely unheard of...(Unless a fan of Greek Myth..)
    I would be unpleasantly surprised if not one male character mentions it.
    The social mores of the time should be accurately depicted in that regard.
    Women had their place. And it wasn't on the front line of a battlefield..

is there any actual reason for women-only premiere going on with Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    It's a fun promotional thing. And If we weren't a decade into this morass of harpies and crotch grabbers that's all it would be. For people who don't live on the internet it probably still is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    It's a promotional thing for a single cinema thats probably worked better than they ever intended it to, because the people who would probably go to it are now more likely to go to it because the people who don't like them said it's bad.

Literally 1 cinema has done the showings only for women, and it's blown up into this controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    It's a fun promotional thing. And If we weren't a decade into this morass of harpies and crotch grabbers that's all it would be. For people who don't live on the internet it probably still is.
    It is fun how?

Literally 1 cinema has done the showings only for women, and it's blown up into this controversy.
    Just imagine those sweet tears of "feminists" if there was a men-only(any movie, not this one in particular) premiere to be announced..

F.e. Mad Max: Fury Road.
    Men Only.
    Glorious.
    Shiny and Chrome

+10 points for thread title.