Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Then that should make for a simple translation.
    It was a knee jerk reaction by the media once again. They thought they had a "gotcha" moment. They were wrong.
    They don't need to cook them up, he provides plenty of them.
    That's not what was happening at all. Newspapers don't wait for Trumps little helpers clarifying everything that comes out of his mouth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Americans on average travel much more than Europeans. In some case double as other European countries. America is a HUGE country.
    America is sparsely populated compared to Europe. That's why you need to often drive longer distances to get from a to b. The absolute size doesn't generally matter. That's why we Finns drive quite a lot, too. Americans drive about 14k miles annually on average. Finns drive 16k km, so it's about the same. Just checked the statistic by googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    At what speeds does it matter? In most passenger cars, the difference since I bought a car in the 90's was a couple mpg here or there. Is that worth it? Given that I'm sure there are bigger differences in some classes, but in the stuff I looked at, it certainly wasn't a big deal. Do Europeans use Cruise Control?
    Traditionally the difference has been 20-30% in fuel economy. Which is a lot of money with the fuel prices here.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I don't get where people think European cars are more reliable. According to JD Power it really isn't European cars. Should ask why are Japanese cars so reliable, cause they top the charts. In fact from the list only two cars are European and they're near the bottom. Toyota though is like everywhere, with Chevrolet here and there.

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/awards/V...tegory/1882ENG

And those German cars aren't as reliable as you think, and are a huge pain in the ass to work on. My friend has a 2010 BMW X5 with a plethora of problems, and he wants to sell it. Besides the engine oil leak and already needing to change the coils for spark plugs, the rear tires are getting chewed up. Turns out BMW's have a common issue with worn bushings in the control arms. Quality my ass.

Mercedes is also just a nightware to deal with. Sorry but from my experience the European cars are designed so nobody but dealers can repair them. And they're no Toyota where the cars don't need to visit a shop often. And yes, I'd rather buy American over European due to reliability.
    ]
    Most BMW and Mercedes you buy in America are... well, made in America. As out Minister of Foreign affairs pointed out towards Mr Trump when he asked for an import tax on german cars. So the problem with most 'european' cars you have over there can probably be reduced to faulty or inferior engineering, and not design flaws. I'm not saying americans are incapable of precise and high quality engineering, but the overall quality of all products made in US I had so far was... lackluster.

The reason people in the US think german cars are superior is because it used to be that way, and a Benz is still seen as a status symbol. With us, it is rare american cars. Mustangs for example are more likely to get looked at than a Benz. I think americans are more than capable of designing decent cars for all price classes. It's more of an overall issue with quality control, rather than being limited to just cars.

I also never had an issue taking my BMWs, a brand that I am sticking with for something like 20 years, to any shop. At all. Software updates used to require a BMW dealer, but that rarely happened. Also had very little issues with the cars. It came down to the regularrily required check-up, and a replacement piston (I hope I have the right word here), and that's it. I never owned an american card. But even If I would buy one, it wouldn#t be made in the US, would it? Ford and GM have plants all over Europe aswell.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-05-28 at 10:03 PM.

Si, pero es latino basado.
    And you don't understand how something simple can mean something vastly different translated? I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Wow, seems like there are a lot of butt hurt yanks qq-ing about their shitty trucks in this thread. 'Merica lol.
    Actually, it is quite the opposite if you read the entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Different languages work differently. What is the go-to understanding in English, can be translated very differently. The problem with the original quote was how vague it was and how the translation would have needed interpretation and changing for it to even make sense or not sounding weird.
    While I can agree with that on some level, it IS a newspaper/ reporter, right? I mean, it's their job to clarify, not guess. Not that I want to be sticking up for Trump, but it seems like they should have asked someone else for a clarification since they were unable to gauge context.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Most BMW and Mercedes you buy in America are... well, made in America. As out Minister of Foreign affairs pointed out towards Mr Trump when he asked for an import tax on german cars. So the problem with most 'european' cars you have over there can probably be reduced to faulty or inferior engineering, and not design flaws. I'm not saying americans are incapable of precise and high quality engineering, but the overall quality of all products made in US I had so far was... lackluster.

The reason people in the US think german cars are superior is because it used to be that way, and a Benz is still seen as a status symbol. With us, it is rare american cars. Mustangs for example are more likely to get looked at than a Benz. I think americans are more than capable of designing decent cars for all price classes. It's more of an overall issue with quality control, rather than being limited to just cars.

I also never had an issue taking my BMW to any shop, except for the software maintanance. Worked like a charm.
    Sadly for the Germans, the modern truck is just as expensive as a mid level BMW or Mercedes. And just as nice too. That's why they got on the SUV train a long time ago.

Because they don't have the quotation marks holding them back.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    cars are disposable in America. /end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    While I can agree with that on some level, it IS a newspaper/ reporter, right? I mean, it's their job to clarify, not guess. Not that I want to be sticking up for Trump, but it seems like they should have asked someone else for a clarification since they were unable to gauge context.
    I am not sticking up for him either. It is the job of the reporter/editors to double check their work. Unfortunately, in today's world that has gone the way of the do-do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    And you don't understand how something simple can mean something vastly different translated? I don't buy it.
    I am not a professional translator, these people are. It is what they are paid to do for a living by the government. Let that sink in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The what?

I would really like to have a Ford Mustang some day. They are just so incredibly expensive here. Starting price at nearly 75k dollars in Finland. 25k in the US......

Righto....
    I remember When I was stationed in Germany back in 01-04.. You could get a 250 Kompressor for like 18 to 20 grand.. in the states? 50k... Import prices.. different standards for each country and such. Mustangs, outside of Shelby/Mach class are garbage class.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    I remember When I was stationed in Germany back in 01-04.. You could get a 250 Kompressor for like 18 to 20 grand.. in the states? 50k... Import prices.. different standards for each country and such. Mustangs, outside of Shelby/Mach class are garbage class.
    Cars are super cheap in Germany. New Mustang starts at 38k e in Germany, 67k e in FInland.

It's just that cars are expensive here in Finland, Mustang is no outlier.

EDIT: The taxation on new cars has actually gone down quite a lot in the past 10 years or so. The cars used to be even more expensive in comparison.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-05-28 at 10:26 PM.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Maybe because they don't ship over the crappier versions of their cars to the states. Simply cause they won't sell that well.

Pulling up the list of Consumer Reports most reliable manufacturers of 2016, the majority of the cars are built in Japan, S Korea, or N. America (US, Canada, Mexico). With Audi being the only European built car showing up in the top 10. But CR is a shit metric, because it's all survey based.

But that's also being disingenuous to what quality ratings generally mean. CR does surveys, some people use recalls (which brings up the problem of mfgs not starting recalls), some use a combination, it's really all BS. Some of the best stats come from warranty sellers in Europe, since that business model doesn't work at all in the US, these stats are basically just the UK. But if you look at their top 100, it's a decently even mix but Japan has an edge there. But it's no run away, they just have better market penetration and the Japanese tend to make the cars UK drivers want in the smaller size area, which makes them cheaper which is also a factor on this list.

Some look at maintenance rates, but that's an easily skewed metric. If 100% of Ford's had their dashboard emblem falling off, vs 10% of Chevys that don't start on days below 32 degrees, which car would you want to own?
    Last edited by McFuu; 2017-05-28 at 10:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.vdtuev.de/en/news_policy_...-manufacturers

There you go, some real reliable data on car reliability. All of the German annual inspection data put together. Not some survey bullshit.

Oh damn, the data isn't available for free. They've shown the data in Finnish auto sites, but cba to link sites in Finnish.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-05-28 at 10:55 PM.

I seem to remember it was VW who hid the emissions of their diesels. Millions of polar bears lost their lives because of that.

French cars are quite shit btw.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    I seem to remember it was VW who hid the emissions of their diesels. Millions of polar bears lost their lives because of that.
    I wouldn't be surprised if all of the major manufacturers did that. Haven't all the big ones been caught of it already?

French cars are quite shit btw.
    Newer French cars are good, just like Americans!

American cars were made with their old insane money standards in mind.
    In the USA for many decades the price of fuel was minimal and overall owning a car was extremely common even for teenagers.
    The standard of living was so high that families could afford to have a car each for both parents and even children.

Then the european/asian industry started (war wrecked most of those countries) and because everyone was sh*t poor they had to be very cost and fuel efficient.

Jump forward 50 years and the american vehicle companies are completely out of touch with reality and what the modern world needs.
    These days almost everyone just cares how cost-efficient something is and how "green" it is - and that is something the USA car manufacturers never cared or learned about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    You mean the Volkswagen Golf? Most sold car in many european countries for years now.

VW Polo is also doing very well for a long time.

Ford Fiesta is on the rise however.
    Maybe I got the names confused its been a while since Ive seen that episode.

Edit: it was the Ford Focus.

Top Gear covered this pretty well with James May's history of cars.

TLDR: After WWII defeat Japan and Germany were not allowed to develop their military's, so their brightest minds (the ones that didn't move to America/UK)went into engineering and automobile development, instead weapons manufacturing.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.