Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Feminists are just going to call the movie racist and sexist anyway. Might as well just mess with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not going to happen. "Things random people are posting on facebook and twitter" has somehow become news, so this sort of shit is never going to stop.
    Not until we can acknowledge and accept that some separate events based on either gender, race, nationality and I know not what, it is likely going to be news, yeah.

I'd actually be for more male only events, because I feel they get somewhat left behind in these sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    The problem is that it's a stupid complaint, but it also trivializes the long running debate on access to essential and government sources -- which is why I'm rolling my eyes at the whole thing.
    It's only a "stupid complaint" because the reverse would literally never happen, despite the cries of the same people who would try to equate attending a movie (or being "represented" in a movie) to the "long running debate on access to essential and government sources." Everyone knows it's wrong to discriminate against women in such a blatant manner. Feminists are just unable to acknowledge that because it destroys half their narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    good on him. If they had a man only showing feminazis would lose thier mind.

Well, I think its glorious. I can't wait to see how its gonna go for him.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    It's only a "stupid complaint" because the reverse would literally never happen, despite the cries of the same people who would try to equate attending a movie (or being "represented" in a movie) to the "long running debate on access to essential and government sources." Everyone knows it's wrong to discriminate against women in such a blatant manner.
    It's a stupid complaint because it's stupid and reaction to it is, by it's very nature, an over reaction. Like I said, outrage culture. It would be the other way too, particularly considering we're still having this debate on what demographics we can legally discriminate against not only in regards to public businesses but also in access to government services.

The guy is in a lose lose situation.

If he turns up on the night and they turn him away he has done his money..

If he turns up and they let him in, he gets to watch a movie that will suck like a black hole and he will have done his money.

At least all those lucky ladies will have a man there to explain the movie to them. Chivalry is not dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will only get interesting if they deny him access to the showing, which I doubt they would be that stupid.

You never know. They were stupid enough to create the one gender admittance to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    This will only get interesting if they deny him access to the showing, which I doubt they would be that stupid.

You never know. They were stupid enough to create the one gender admittance to begin with.
    didnt you know, if your not white straight or a male you can yell for equality then make segregated events at the same time.

Kinda sad that anyone would entertain what this guy did, and the fact that all he did was pay to see a movie.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    But the point is: At no point are they denying him service, they are denying him a service to which he does not meet the qualifications - He is not at any point denied all service because of that. That creates a distinction between "Bakery refuses to bake cake for gay wedding" because the entire bakery will not service the gay couple. The entire rest of the movie theatre, bar this one showing, is still open for the man.
    "The qualifications" are against the law.

Which part of this is hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Or he bought himself a minimum of several days of Twittertainment for the low price of a movie ticket and is thoroughly happy with his purchase.
    That's a lot of entertainment for eight bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's a single event and not an overriding policy. Which part of this is hard?
    It's not at all enforceable.

You really think they're going to risk a civil rights law suit over a movie ticket? LOL.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    "The qualifications" are against the law.

Which part of this is hard?
    It does bring up the question of how whether or not the folks outraged by this are also the ones who argue we should leave those poor bakers alone. Or who are now defending legislatures looking to protect the Kim Davises of the country.

I just noticed this thread and not completely read up on the "issue" but it seems like the easy way to get around discrimination laws for this is to declare the theater room showing the movie as a privately rented out. I know that back in the day we would rent out a theater room but we still had to buy tickets from the box office of the theater to enter. While this was an independent theater I wonder if the excuse will be you can watch this movie in another room but not for this "private party" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It's not a civil rights issue if you're still allowed the service in every other imaginable situation. The entire theatre isn't closed to you - Just a single showing, which is easy to do by setting up a private screening and inviting only women anyway.
    But "gender is a social construct", so xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Or he bought himself a minimum of several days of Twittertainment for the low price of a movie ticket and is thoroughly happy with his purchase.
    Yeah you are right, you cannot put a price on a few days of 'Twittertainment'.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    I just noticed this thread and not completely read up on the "issue" but it seems like the easy way to get around discrimination laws for this is to declare the theater room showing the movie as a privately rented out. I know that back in the day we would rent out a theater room but we still had to buy tickets from the box office of the theater to enter. While this was an independent theater I wonder if the excuse will be you can watch this movie in another room but not for this "private party" one.
    They've already precluded that argument in their public statements.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    At least all those lucky ladies will have a man there to explain the movie to them. Chivalry is not dead.
    Lol.

Someone should throw a road map into the building and watch the ensuing panic.

So these examples are things that can easily be considered "clubs" with memberships and not open to the public. Good luck fitting a movie theater under that classification.

I've read a couple articles about this particular topic from the usual sources...and I can only imagine how their smug self-satisfaction would turn to the same anger/frustration/annoyance they're mocking if it had been a men-only screening, and how suddenly these excuses and justifications would vanish.
    Gyms, night clubs, spas and barber's are not clubs. Typically they do not require member fees and are open to the public. Some service only men or women, or both.