Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    No matter what the cinema does about it, the reactions are gonna be entertaining.

So why doesn't the theater just do this... you let this guy into the screening and give him exactly what he paid for, however you also setup a different theater and you send every woman who bought a ticket to that theater. They still get their all-women screening and you give the guy exactly what he paid for. Seems win/win to me, even us people who aren't going get to laugh at the idea of this guy sitting all alone in the theater.

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Why the hell does it need to be an "all women screening" in the first place...?
    Imagine if it was a superman all male screening...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Perhaps you'd like to read this little bit that I said literally the line before you cut off my quote:

It's not a civil rights issue if you're still allowed the service in every other imaginable situation. The entire theatre isn't closed to you - Just a single showing, which is easy to do by setting up a private screening and inviting only women anyway. The part that becomes a problem is that they allowed a man to buy a ticket to the showing they claimed was all women. Either they let him into the showing, because they effectively gave him a contract saying they would by allowing him to buy a ticket and have an entire theatre of angry women who are suing them for false advertising - Or they kick him out and end up with a single lawsuit. Neither is a good option for them.
    It's not just that they sold a ticket to a man - it's that they opened ticket sales to the public. They are a public business, selling tickets to the open public for a screening of a movie they have openly admitted (not just admitted, but bragged) they will be discriminately be only admitting women into.

That is wildly, completely illegal. There is no defense of this that will last five minutes in court (at least not in New York, Texas is another matter entirely).

The ONLY way the Alamo Drafthouse in New York could get away with an all-women screening is if a third party organization booked a private showing of Wonder Woman, and it was that third party, not Alamo Drafthouse, that disseminated and sold the tickets. That would make it a private event and that third party would have every right in the world to exclude men if they so desired.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a dickhead move. Not sure what's worse though, him or the people cheering him on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Why would you laugh at someone who gets an entire room to themselves? That's the fucking dream.
    Having worked in a theater and having to screen movies the night before they come out. Its not all its cracked up to be. Even with movies you really want to see.

Like most movie theaters if there is a group of women that want a woman only screening. They should be able to "rent" out the theater before the normal times for a private showing. Then they can pick and choose who gets to come and see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Saying that gender is a social construct doesn't mean that it's meaningless to distinguish between men and women, just that most of society's idea of what a man or woman is and how they should behave is a social construct that doesn't account for individuality and variation.
    I don't know how I could have possibly conveyed sarcasm better in that statement.

The amount of uproar over this is hilarious, I don't think I've ever seen a woman browsing wonder woman comics in a comic book store today, so watching the millennial masses get up in arms over this is probably the highlight of my day. I don't think this guy could have gotten more entertainment out of such a small sum of money anywhere else in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Now that they have set a precedent, I wonder when the all male night will be?
    They had the first and last male only showing in 1996 for the Pamela Anderson film Barb Wire. Everything was covered in semen and they had to eventually demolish the building.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    They had the first and last male only showing in 1996 for the Pamela Anderson film Barb Wire. Everything was covered in semen and they had to eventually demolish the building.
    I feel sorry for that poor high schooler that had to pick up all those cucumbers after the opening night of '50 Shades'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Neither of those options are as bad as the people acting as if he just kicked their dog over buying a movie ticket.
    Who cares about things like the American Education Budget being cut by 10 billion dollars when we can collectively laugh/scream about a dude buying a ticket to a women's only showing of Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Gyms, night clubs, spas and barber's are not clubs. Typically they do not require member fees and are open to the public. Some service only men or women, or both.
    I couldn't find an example of a male-only nightclub. (do many gay nightclubs strictly prohibit women from entering?) Barbers might be an issue of training/practicality... You don't want someone who doesn't know how to cut women's hair cutting your hair if you're a woman. And gyms...well, I found two examples of male-only gym franchises, and both of those were a direct response to the popularity of Curves (which has been sued with little success... one state even going so far as to change its anti-discrimination laws to exempt them). So it seems like I didn't even need to go the "club" angle in the first place.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-05-29 at 12:22 AM.

Everything about this is idiotic. A theater chain holding women only screenings, a man feeling the need to troll said screenings, and the idiots getting profoundly butthurt about it.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Now that they have set a precedent, I wonder when the all male night will be?
    The next Expendables movie? I am pretty sure thats the biggest dick flick we men have :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Everything about this is idiotic. A theater chain holding women only screenings, a man feeling the need to troll said screenings, and the idiots getting profoundly butthurt about it.
    For me, it's not about getting "butthurt". I'm a paralegal, so for me, this is about the law. It's either legal to discriminate based on gender, or it's not. You can't have it both ways. In Texas, it's legal to do this kind of gender-based discrimination. In New York, it's illegal. So men calling foul on this have every right to, and they should. The guy who bought a ticket to the NYC showing is standing up for his rights. There is nothing wrong about that, and it should be applauded.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-05-29 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Perhaps you'd like to read this little bit that I said literally the line before you cut off my quote:

It's not a civil rights issue if you're still allowed the service in every other imaginable situation. The entire theatre isn't closed to you - Just a single showing, which is easy to do by setting up a private screening and inviting only women anyway. The part that becomes a problem is that they allowed a man to buy a ticket to the showing they claimed was all women. Either they let him into the showing, because they effectively gave him a contract saying they would by allowing him to buy a ticket and have an entire theatre of angry women who are suing them for false advertising - Or they kick him out and end up with a single lawsuit. Neither is a good option for them.
    It doesn't matter whether they sold that ticket to him or not, or whether or not he specifically targetted that specific screening due to it being "all wome". A business establishment cannot deny service to someone based on their gender.

That's the law. The same would be true if a theater decided to hold an "all whites only movie event" and some black guy specifically bought a ticket for that viewing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man buys ticket to all women screening by public theater.
    Gender is a social construct

Teacher goes to work on student-fabricated event not approved by campus owner.
    Race is a social construct

It's not even fun making fun of libtard idiocracy anymore. These people need help. Maybe they should spend time in an actual civics course instead of some social pseudo-science indoctrinate seminar.

Jabs aside, all the women had to do was organize with the theater which they clearly had no intention of doing it properly. The theater itself instead tried to scam women with false advertisement. They were lazy and stupid, open and shut case Johnson.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    For me, it's not about getting "butthurt". I'm a paralegal, so for me, this is about the law. It's either legal to discriminate based on gender, or it's not. You can't have it both ways. In Texas, it's legal to do this kind of gender-based discrimination. In New York, it's illegal. So men calling foul on this have every right to, and they should.
    I'm not talking about people raising legal questions and challenges. I'm talking about the idiots crying on twitter.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Jabs aside, all the women had to do was organize with the theater which they clearly had no intention of doing it properly. The theater itself instead tried to scam women with false advertisement. They were lazy and stupid, open and shut case Johnson.
    Or I don't know- if you're going to hold an event catering to a specific demographic- maybe don't sell tickets to said event, publicly, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I'm not talking about people raising legal questions and challenges. I'm talking about the idiots crying on twitter.
    The twitter crazies are the best.

I want just one of them to post a selfie with their Wonder Woman comic book collection. Just one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are male only gyms, barbers, spas and night clubs. Just as there are women only of the same.
    a woman sued a barber shop for asking her to go get a haircut somewhere else, she won and everyone of you defended her on the ground of "it's illegal to discriminate"

the hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    Or I don't know- if you're going to hold an event catering to a specific demographic- maybe don't sell tickets to said event, publicly, on the internet.
    Nailed it. If the theatre wanted to reserve the screening for a group of lesbians so they can enjoy the movie without having to put up with a bunch of teenage boys jerking off into a bag of popcorn, then it should have been a closed private session unavailable to the general public.

How sad must your life be that you would want to inflict yourself the pain to see and pay for a shitty capeshit only to prove a point.