Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Sanity check:

Was lurking through the ffxiv reddit thread and saw a couple people claim and swear up and down that in Stormblood the requirement of having a "sub class" leveled to 15 to unlock the advanced jobs is going away (ie having Thaumaturge to 15 to unlock Summoner at level 30 Arcanist). They said they heard it during the most recent live letter...and I don't remember hearing that AT ALL, just the cross class ability change where leveling one job within a role unlocks the skills for every job of that role, so no need to level up classes just for their cross class skills.

Just making sure I'm not crazy.
    I remember hearing something about this a while ago actually. Fanfest I believe?

I do believe they mentioned the unlocking of jobs changing as a result of cross-class skils going away during the live letter, but there weren't any specifics.
    The assumption that you'd simply get the quest without the secondary prerequisite doesn't seem far fetched though.

It would explain why they said there were 13 job boost potions instead of 12. Doesn't seem like SMN/SCH will level together anymore.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    It would explain why they said there were 13 job boost potions instead of 12. Doesn't seem like SMN/SCH will level together anymore.
    I could see that, maybe SCH will level on its own and arcanist will level with summoner, but also unlock SCH at level 30. Would be nice for their bonus stats at least to not be linked anymore, but they do still share a lot of common abilities so not sure if they would separate that or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Added link to a very detailed summary of all things Stormblood to my OP. It's not my handiwork, of course, but it's pretty doggone good for an unofficial link.
    Just so you know, in the OP at the time of this post, this same link has an extra " at the end that's getting picked up as part of the link, so you can't just click it like you can here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    I do believe they mentioned the unlocking of jobs changing as a result of cross-class skils going away during the live letter, but there weren't any specifics.
    The assumption that you'd simply get the quest without the secondary prerequisite doesn't seem far fetched though.
    I think it would be a great idea, I just don't remember hearing anything about it and when I did some searching online I couldn't find anything explicitly saying that. Doesn't matter to me personally anymore anyway, I have all my jobs to 60, I'm just trying to make sure I get the accurate and appropriate information so I can talk about it to folks who may be asking. I like being well informed.

Yeah. In that same vein, Mr. Happy and someone on reddit both said something about RDM and SAM both not just starting out with a weapon, but a full set of gear from the quest giver/trainer/whoever. But I haven't seen/read/heard that anywhere else. And it doesn't really matter to me either way as I have the poetics gear ready to go (although not fully upgraded).
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    D:
    I hope not, I wish to be lazy.
    Will probably still level SMN in the end but lazy!
    Sanity check:

Was lurking through the ffxiv reddit thread and saw a couple people claim and swear up and down that in Stormblood the requirement of having a "sub class" leveled to 15 to unlock the advanced jobs is going away (ie having Thaumaturge to 15 to unlock Summoner at level 30 Arcanist). They said they heard it during the most recent live letter...and I don't remember hearing that AT ALL, just the cross class ability change where leveling one job within a role unlocks the skills for every job of that role, so no need to level up classes just for their cross class skills.

And you're not wrong for not hearing that. Live letter at least, no idea about other events.

15+ Year Old Account
    19 more days just 19 more days.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwill View Post
    Sadly not this expansion. Samurai and Red Mage are this expansion's job but I can easily see a Dancer/Blue Mage for the next expansion demanding on where the stroy'll go.
    I prefer to see FF14 come up with new jobs to the franchise which funny enough 1.0 actually did, the original Thaum was a new creation to the franchise and actually good, there wasn't any issue to its design or concept though did have balance issues but thats more fault of the devs ( same devs who made FF11 and thats unbalanced to fuck ) , just rest of the game was meh.

I want to see SE do something new and creative for this game, they seem to be able to bring something new out for their core single player games, so can't see why it can't happen here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    I prefer to see FF14 come up with new jobs to the franchise which funny enough 1.0 actually did, the original Thaum was a new creation to the franchise and actually good, there wasn't any issue to its design or concept though did have balance issues but thats more fault of the devs ( same devs who made FF11 and thats unbalanced to fuck ) , just rest of the game was meh.

I want to see SE do something new and creative for this game, they seem to be able to bring something new out for their core single player games, so can't see why it can't happen here.
    I don't know about you, but both these iterations of SAM and RDM are new and unique to the franchise.

The names might not be, but the style, aesthetic and gameplay sure the hell is.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    I don't know about you, but both these iterations of SAM and RDM are new and unique to the franchise.

The names might not be, but the style, aesthetic and gameplay sure the hell is.
    Pretty much this WoW also uses most of the same classes that D&D uses but puts their own spin to it With Final Fantasy the jobs are pretty diverse to so its easy give them a unique spin to them not to mention that the Jobs of Final Fantasy are pretty darn iconic in their aesthetic and looks .
    Last edited by Karamaru; 2017-05-28 at 09:04 PM.

I'd rather see the jobs that have already been well established lore wise throughout the Final Fantasy franchise be introduced. They've given them fresh aesthetics and/or game play than their previous iterations. While I'm all for them doing something new, I'm also incredibly excited to see how they would implement an already established and well liked job or story or character into this game world that I know and love.

Besides, I'm honestly pretty hard pressed to come up with a new class that hasn't been in the FF that isn't already touched by an existing FF job.

Deleted
    I'd rather see the jobs that have already been well established lore wise throughout the Final Fantasy franchise be introduced. They've given them fresh aesthetics and/or game play than their previous iterations. While I'm all for them doing something new, I'm also incredibly excited to see how they would implement an already established and well liked job or story or character into this game world that I know and love.

Besides, I'm honestly pretty hard pressed to come up with a new class that hasn't been in the FF that isn't already touched by an existing FF job.
    Sounds like you haven't played the original Thaum then, that was very original and had lore building up for it, if people want to see FF14 becomes its own thing, tying it down to pre existing stuff doesn't help, just twists doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    Just so you know, in the OP at the time of this post, this same link has an extra " at the end that's getting picked up as part of the link, so you can't just click it like you can here.
    Fixed. Thanks for the head's up!

- - - Updated - - -

Sanity check:

Given how the cross class skill system is being overhauled, I believe you won't have to level other jobs to unlock those role-shared abilities.

That being said, I can't recall exactly where I saw such a thing mentioned, either.

Sounds like you haven't played the original Thaum then, that was very original and had lore building up for it, if people want to see FF14 becomes its own thing, tying it down to pre existing stuff doesn't help, just twists doesn't cut it.
    You're right, I never did play the original THM, just the THM -> BLM iteration in ARR. I played Pugilist and Archer when I did play FFXIV 1.0 but didn't stay long because the game was pretty terrible, IMO. I didn't pick it back up until ARR launched.

FFXIV is already it's own thing. There are tons of jobs from previous games to pull from. I'm not saying I don't want them to be original, I'm saying I'd be a little disappointed to see some "new" class that could have been filled by a Final Fantasy class (I use that term lightly, as FF is hardly the first franchise to come up with these archetypes). I don't like originality just for the sake of being original, because there's VERY little ground for being original when it comes to class roles and designs in a fantasy game and Final Fantasy has already created several classes. Would seem really odd to me for them to create something totally unique and new when an already established class would brilliantly fill that role. It would come off as a little disingenuous, like they forgot about this already existing class, and were trying to be different. They don't need to be different, they need to be Final Fantasy.... but that's a pretty esoteric thing to say. I hope you get my meaning because I'm not sure I can provide more specific details.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Given how the cross class skill system is being overhauled, I believe you won't have to level other jobs to unlock those role-shared abilities.

That being said, I can't recall exactly where I saw such a thing mentioned, either.
    Yeah I knew you wouldn't have to level other jobs for the cross class skills I'm more asking about the requirement for simply having a secondary class at 15 to unlock your main jobs advanced class (Like neeing to have THM to 15 to unlock SMN at 30 for ACN, or CNJ to 15 to unlock SCH at 30 ACN).

You're right, I never did play the original THM, just the THM -> BLM iteration in ARR. I played Pugilist and Archer when I did play FFXIV 1.0 but didn't stay long because the game was pretty terrible, IMO. I didn't pick it back up until ARR launched.

FFXIV is already it's own thing. There are tons of jobs from previous games to pull from. I'm not saying I don't want them to be original, I'm saying I'd be a little disappointed to see some "new" class that could have been filled by a Final Fantasy class (I use that term lightly, as FF is hardly the first franchise to come up with these archetypes). I don't like originality just for the sake of being original, because there's VERY little ground for being original when it comes to class roles and designs in a fantasy game and Final Fantasy has already created several classes. Would seem really odd to me for them to create something totally unique and new when an already established class would brilliantly fill that role. It would come off as a little disingenuous, like they forgot about this already existing class, and were trying to be different. They don't need to be different, they need to be Final Fantasy.... but that's a pretty esoteric thing to say. I hope you get my meaning because I'm not sure I can provide more specific details.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I knew you wouldn't have to level other jobs for the cross class skills I'm more asking about the requirement for simply having a secondary class at 15 to unlock your main jobs advanced class (Like neeing to have THM to 15 to unlock SMN at 30 for ACN, or CNJ to 15 to unlock SCH at 30 ACN).
    I'm confused as to what you're complaining about here. Red Mage is a classic FF class

Deleted
    I really do have certain concerns regarding SAM though, feels it wont really be what people are expecting/hoping

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I'm confused as to what you're complaining about here. Red Mage is a classic FF class
    My post was in direct response to @Thorianrage who was saying an original class, like Thaumaturge from 1.0, would be more desirable. At least to them. I'm saying, that with the plethora of jobs Final Fantasy has established over the years, it would make more sense to use those rather than trying to come up with something original since doing so would be pretty difficult and IMO a little silly given the huge number of classes Final Fantasy has created that already fill several niche's a new "original" job would.

I'm not complaining about anything, just giving my opinion on future classes.

Looking through the 1.0 abilities, it sounds like Thaumaturge was originally Black Mage, White Mage, Time Mage, and extra spells tossed all on one class.

Shadow spells, heals, group heals, defensive shield damage buff, drain or transfer HP/MP/TP abilities, Raise, ice damage spells, poison, Banish (just aoe here), Bio, Bind/Paralyze/Silence, Blind.

Lots of spells from a gamut of traditional FF mage jobs all put together for one job. While the class may have had totally new lore, it doesn't sound like it was truly a new class. A lot of it is definitely Black Mage origins, so I see why it grew into the BLM class in A Realm Reborn.