Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wonder... can someone break down the effect all of the OP has on a possible impeachment process? Is any of that (except Russia, which is obvious) making it more likely he will be tossed out? So far as I understood it, impeachment was basically out of the question, as it would never get the final two-third majority required. Could this change that mindset enough to get Republicans to jump ship?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I wonder... can someone break down the effect all of the OP has on a possible impeachment process? Is any of that (except Russia, which is obvious) making it more likely he will be tossed out? So far as I understood it, impeachment was basically out of the question, as it would never get the final two-third majority required. Could this change that mindset enough to get Republicans to jump ship?
    They won't jump ship until it becomes politically dangerous for them to stay on the trumptanic. I think you'll see more calls for impeachment once indictments start being handed out to more people below Trump.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2017-05-29 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just when global politics are getting me down one of you swoops in to make it better.

Excellent, well referenced post as usual

<3

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    They won't jump ship until it becomes politically dangerous for them to stay on the trumptanic. I think you'll see more calls for impeachment once indictments start being handed out to more people below Trump.
    His son in law is under investigations, isn't he? How close would they have to get? Pence?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

His son in law is under investigations, isn't he? How close would they have to get? Pence?
    Kushner is under investigation, that is correct. I believe that it likely will lead up to Pence as well. He likely had knowledge of what has been going on sense he was in charge of the transition team.

Personal opinion, I believe the IC likely already has enough on everyone involved. I think the leaks are being coordinated to try and ease the public into the idea that their shit stinks.

It would be bad if out of the blue arrests were to be made. It would give a foot for the whole "deep state" conspiracy to stand on. People would go insane.

I love this.
    Hopefully this will teach people (outside of the US too) to not vote for populists.

My only hope is this winds up being so disastrous it forces us to rethink our excessively bipartisan outlook where we seem to vote like we're picking football teams rather than leaders. Favoring rulings because they stick it to that other team rather than because they're actually good or sane ideas.

He really has to be hitting a world record on number of dumb things a president can accomplish in a short time span. Even factoring in things like the internet allowing quicker spread and more time in general spent obsessing over such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaabbc View Post
    I love this.
    Hopefully this will teach people (outside of the US too) to not vote for populists.
    Political tests I've done have had me down as both left-wing and right-wing populist, if what I believe is populism I see no reason why people shouldn't vote for populists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very well done post. I sincerely hope to never have to read one like it again.

But if Don lasts to 150 or 200 days, I eagerly look forward to the next one, if not sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Political tests I've done have had me down as both left-wing and right-wing populist, if what I believe is populism I see no reason why people shouldn't vote for populists.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

Trump used populist rhetoric, but as we've seen in his failure to actually address any of those populist promises and rhetoric, he isn't actually a populist. He played his voter base like a fiddle, and they happily sung his tune while doing it.

"Hillary is an elite, and you hate the elite, right!?" Trump is an elite,a nd once in office, tries to push hardcore trickle down economics, which we know causes economic division.

"Hillary is corrupt and a liar!" Trump ends up being far more corrupt and lying far more.

Honestly, this seems like an even better outcome than if Hillary had been elected. If she had been elected, the alt-right would have continued festering til it reached a boiling point and overflowed. We might have actually ended up with a true tyrant, someone who actually would have done something as awful as the holocaust. Instead we got a buffoon and a simpleton who is tarnishing the Republican brand and dragging everyone down with him. Once ratings get low enough, they'll cut the anchor that is dragging them all down into the abyss.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    No. I sat down with a buddy today who is staunchly on the right, who isn't an uninformed guy. He told me all of this Russia stuff was non-sense, that if there was any damning information it would have come out already, and that he didn't support trump or like paul ryan, but was happy there were not democrats in charge. He also thought that the "for every one regulation, two have to come of the books" was the best policy of the last 30 years.

I don't even know what to say to these things.
    You say to yourself "how the fuck am I a buddy with someone this stupid?" and you fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Trump used populist rhetoric, but as we've seen in his failure to actually address any of those populist promises and rhetoric, he isn't actually a populist. He played his voter base like a fiddle, and they happily sung his tune while doing it.
    I'd argue that that's exactly what a populist does. Say whatever people want to hear, to get elected.
    It doesn't matter if they actually follow through on their promises or not.

I mean, it's not for lack of trying he's not gotten that travel ban through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    As much as I'd love to see Trump get thrown out of the oval office, I also realize that if he stays in it, 1. He may end up getting nothing done after all and 2. He'll be an easy political opponent for anyone to beat. If Hillary hadn't already used all of her political capital, she could beat Trump easily in round 2.

Plus if he runs in 2020 for reelection, we have another 3.5 years of political fuck ups to mar his presidency and give the Democrats plenty of fire to win tons of down-ticket races.
    I hope the democrats put up someone under the age of about 55. We need younger newer blood in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    You say to yourself "how the fuck am I a buddy with someone this stupid?" and you fix that.
    It gets even worse, as I was drinking before I wrote what you quoted I forgot why he thought the Russia stuff was nonsense, he said it was obama's deep state that was trying to sink Trump.

We're friends for life, it doesn't matter what stupid thing he says or believes in or what stupid things I say or believe in. But the problem isn't that of stupidity, I always feel like I am not articulate enough to clearly explain my philosophy on life.

Feels like 128 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Political tests I've done have had me down as both left-wing and right-wing populist
    So essentially, a sucker :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Kushner is under investigation, that is correct. I believe that it likely will lead up to Pence as well. He likely had knowledge of what has been going on sense he was in charge of the transition team.

Personal opinion, I believe the IC likely already has enough on everyone involved. I think the leaks are being coordinated to try and ease the public into the idea that their shit stinks.

It would be bad if out of the blue arrests were to be made. It would give a foot for the whole "deep state" conspiracy to stand on. People would go insane.
    How big are the chances the US will overthink the two-party system? I think the US could do with a lot less polarisation and a lot more options. It seems to me that the system itself is somewhat corrupt and neither party has an interest or the abilities to change that with the current system.

7+ Year Old Account
    How big are the chances the US will overthink the two-party system? I think the US could do with a lot less polarisation and a lot more options. It seems to me that the system itself is somewhat corrupt and neither party has an interest or the abilities to change that with the current system.
    It's not written into law or anything like that ( the two party system), but it would require a seismic shift in so many things that it would only happen in response to something outlandish.

For instance, if the Republican party establishment is uncompromising and drags the party back to the center-right positions of the "Rockefeller Republicans", lots of arch-conservatives will flee the party. They'd rather be purists on their own than win in a coalition.

Something that mitigates against the above scenario is that the GOP would be in the political wilderness for years as they dumped off the far Right and tried to rebuild a more centrist base of support, and lots of Republicans refuse to do anything that decreases their power. Even if they have to make deals with the Trumpists. This will only stop if Trump and his circle do something absolutely beyond the pale that blatantly and without any question in anyone's minds demands impeachment.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    It's not written into law or anything like that ( the two party system), but it would require a seismic shift in so many things that it would only happen in response to something outlandish.

For instance, if the Republican party establishment is uncompromising and drags the party back to the center-right positions of the "Rockefeller Republicans", lots of arch-conservatives will flee the party. They'd rather be purists on their own than win in a coalition.

Something that mitigates against the above scenario is that the GOP would be in the political wilderness for years as they dumped off the far Right and tried to rebuild a more centrist base of support, and lots of Republicans refuse to do anything that decreases their power. Even if they have to make deals with the Trumpists. This will only stop if Trump and his circle do something absolutely beyond the pale that blatantly and without any question in anyone's minds demands impeachment.
    Like... being in league with Russia? Because aside from butchering the senate, I don't see what else Trump can do that could impeach him.

I'm just confused, because... guys, you almost impeached a president for getting a fucking bj. I mean, the discrepancy in scale is really confusing.

Like... being in league with Russia? Because aside from butchering the senate, I don't see what else Trump can do that could impeach him.

I'm just confused, because... guys, you almost impeached a president for getting a fucking bj. I mean, the discrepancy in scale is really confusing.
    I am the senate!

As for why there hasn't been an impeachment yet, I couldn't tell you. I'm only 23, going on 24. The two party system and polarization of the parties has been around for as long as I can remember.

The best way to see some real changes though would be constitutional amendments. Voter reform, money needs to be moved out of politics, give term limits to those in congress, etc.

A good change would be a voter run off system. A lot of people in the states feel their vote simply doesn't matter, either because of where they live or because they feel obligated to vote the lesser of two evils so to speak. A voter run off system could help change that and let people vote for who they really want.

Current problem is that those in charge really don't want the system to change because they are benefitting from it. Too many here in the US also don't pay any attention to politics. They pay enough attention to catch a few headlines and know a tid bit or two, without really knowing the details or nuances. That helps lead to voter apathy (aka "both parties are equally bad") which helps keep the broken system around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Feels like 128 years.

So essentially, a sucker :P
    Yep, 128 years of haters hating. Par for the course though.
    Have great Memorial Day everyone!