Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Undergoes A Big Development Change

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fi...source=twitter

Shifting development to entirely in-house has a number of benefits, Square Enix says.
    Square Enix's Final Fantasy VII Remake is moving forward, but under a new development setup of sorts. Gematsu reports that the publisher said recently during a livestream event that the project is now being made internally at Square Enix instead of with the support of external help.

Additionally, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII main programmer Haoki Hamguchi is now leading development on Final Fantasy VII Remake for Square Enix.
    "I've taken charge on the development side for Final Fantasy VII Remake," Hamaguchi said during a livestream for Mobius Final Fantasy, for which he is the project lead. "As for the whole story, (it's a sensitive topic, but) until now, development was moving forward with external cooperation, but the company has decided to shift to an internal setup, including mass production and quality, because we want to control everything, including quality, on a stable schedule. (I won't be leaving Mobius Final Fantasy.)"

Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to PlayStation 4, though a release date has not been announced. Keep checking back with GameSpot for the latest.

In other news, some new art for the Final Fantasy VII Remake was released recently as part of the Final Fantasy 30-year anniversary event. The game is not coming soon, as Square Enix has told fans not to expect it until 2018 at the soonest.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Cool. So why can't original fans get straight up ports with current gen graphics and some new game+ and an extra dg or something again?
    This is just a current gen ff game with classic characters.
    Hard pass.
    Give me the original legend of dragoon, or legend of legia, or ff6, super Mario rpg, the same damn game, with the same gameplay, with current graphics. That's it. Throw your new ideas into new games, give me what I want, and take my money.

10+ Year Old Account
    i lost interest in the remake once they revealed it would be real time combat instead of turn based. and their "it's our franchise, we can do what we want" response to the people who didn't like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why the fug was it even outsourced anyway? Anyway, i only have a passing interest because i don't like ff7 that much, censorship, radical changes to the gameplay, no uematsu remixes, appearntly outsourced, episodic, ff not being that great anymore. I could go on but i hate phone posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Cool. So why can't original fans get straight up ports with current gen graphics and some new game+ and an extra dg or something again?
    This is just a current gen ff game with classic characters.
    Hard pass.
    Give me the original legend of dragoon, or legend of legia, or ff6, super Mario rpg, the same damn game, with the same gameplay, with current graphics. That's it. Throw your new ideas into new games, give me what I want, and take my money.
    I'm an "original" fan, got the game when it launched in 1997 and I'm quite looking forward to this action-rpg remake, same with my cousin and he's a huge fan of turn-based combat RPGs and he beat the game 3-4 more times than I (twice here) did. The story and setting of FFVII lends itself pretty damn well to a gritty action game.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I'm an "original" fan, got the game when it launched in 1997 and I'm quite looking forward to this action-rpg remake, same with my cousin and he's a huge fan of turn-based combat RPGs and he beat the game 3-4 more times than I (twice here) did. The story and setting of FFVII lends itself pretty damn well to a gritty action game.
    I bet it would be neat. If it was called final fantasy 7-2 or something. But it's not. So it won't be.
    FF7 graphic upgrade port. FF7-2 with all the current age dumb down rpg elements and uneccessary action injected into it.
    You can make both sides happy. They are just choosing not to. And I'll choose not to buy it.

I love how the game was announced 2 years ago and they are only know beginning real "production". The game will probably not be out until 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I love how the game was announced 2 years ago and they are only know beginning real "production". The game will probably not be out until 2020.
    That means it took around 5 years which isn't long for a game of that size.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I think you're being very nice to them thinking it'll be out by even then!

I used to love FF games, but ever since they shacked up with Enix its been kinda downhill since there. Development times ballooned out, shitty outsourcing (FF14 says hi!), lack of focused vision for projects (hello 4-5 FF13 games and the one being re-invented 3x before being made into FF15). Also being extremely tone-deaf in what fans ask for from the franchise/games. About the only thing I think they did right lately was green-light Tokyo RPG Factory, although apparently their budget is too small and executive meddling made the MSRP of the game too high which kinda hampered it.

Deleted
    I am terribly biased here, I didn't like any of the Final Fantasy games after FF X, and at this point I have absolutely no hope for the "Remake" of Final Fantasy 7. The fans were quite clear on it: They wanted Final Fantasy 7 with modern graphics, what we are going to get instead is an action game with RPG elements where we re-play the story of Final Fantasy 7...in episodes.

I am not even surprised at this point, in the last few years the Japanese developers/designers have been going down a weird path and this is just another case of it.

I had low expectations to begin with, which lowered after i finished 15 and saw what a 'complete' final fantasy single player game is to SE now and NOW they hand this over to the lightning returns guys?

This is going to either come out in 15 years or its going to be a massive shitshow. But i guess jrpgs needed their own duke nukem forever.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF7 was one of my least favourite FF's anyway.

FF8 remake WHEN?

10+ Year Old Account
    mmh

that doesn't sounds good
    or maybe it is

but Haoki Hamguchi seems to have little experience I'm afraid

my worst fear is the game being ff7 advent children + ff15

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Why the fug was it even outsourced anyway? Anyway, i only have a passing interest because i don't like ff7 that much, censorship, radical changes to the gameplay, no uematsu remixes, appearntly outsourced, episodic, ff not being that great anymore. I could go on but i hate phone posting.
    the soundtrack will be left as it is ? it's required as an option but it would be weird if they didn't remake the soundtrack with better instruments too
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-06-03 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    SE as developers are not very good and considering they still need to make NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW games, I mean they announced a full scale remake of an existing game as opposed to bring news regarding FF16, you know, a new game.

Bringing the remake inhouse now means developer resources has been taken from FF16, this is actually bad news, with it being outsourced, means they had more resources at the time for FF16.

Japanese devs can put money for a game, but the country lacks good skillful developers, at the moment the country as a whole is behind in so many areas for development its a joke, piling on more work for the same devs isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Bringing the remake inhouse now means developer resources has been taken from FF16, this is actually bad news,
    That's if FF16 is even in development yet. Between FF7,KH3 and any other titles they got in the pipeline its highly likely they don't have FF16 out of concept yet.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That's if FF16 is even in development yet. Between FF7,KH3 and any other titles they got in the pipeline its highly likely they don't have FF16 out of concept yet.
    FFXVI would probably be developed by BD2 who isn't working on any of the games you named. VII is BD1 and KH3 is BD3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Japanese devs can put money for a game, but the country lacks good skillful developers, at the moment the country as a whole is behind in so many areas for development its a joke, piling on more work for the same devs isn't great.
    I disagree with this whole paragraph and japanese devs are why 2017 has been the best year for games in forever.

I disagree with this whole paragraph and japanese devs are why 2017 has been the best year for games in forever.
    Yea his comment is nonsensical, if we compare reception of Japanese games to Western ones over the past 2 years or so it's not even close, Japanese are winning in a landslide.

It's almost like he took a time machine from 2009 and doesn't realize the dark ages of Japanese game development are gone.

FF7 with an FF13-3 skin at this rate, how to take something legendary and shit all over it.