Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then there is no issue, and it should be legalized, great. The free markets win, consumers win, and businesses win.
    I was only warning you that competition is not going to be the result of legalizing illicit drugs.

BIG PHARMA and drug cartels (that grow the ingredients) will own that space, hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm calling you a hypocrite, because you are not being consistent. You are not basing it on logic, you are basing it on what is easier to do. Junk food and unhealthy food/eating has a far higher toll on society than all the drugs combined. It leads to more than a million deaths a year in this country, and costs upwards of a trillion dollars. Our society would be far healthier and stronger if they were banned, and people were forced to only eat healthy foods. Is that the path you want to take?

If your justification for banning something, is that it is harmful to society, then choosing to not ban something else that is just as harmful... makes you a hypocrite. Either that, or you are being disingenuous about the reason you want it banned, and just want to use societal harm as a justification.
    So Mr. Free Society Limited Government, how do you suppose you and your free society/limited government will enforce such a ban? Are you going to strap people down and force feed them the government mandated food, no more, no less?

Unhealthy eating isn't just eating junk food, it is eating unhealthy amounts of any food. Are we going arrest people for soda trafficking when they cross state lines to drink sugar water? What if they put some sugar in their iced tear? That's cause for summary execution, no?

Your argument is obtuse, make some more false equivalencies why don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    I was only warning you that competition is not going to be the result of legalizing illicit drugs.

BIG PHARMA and drug cartels (that grow the ingredients) will own that space, hands down.
    Competition will be the result, we are already seeing it in various states. Growing a crop is easy. As long as the government does not protect the monopolies, then there won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So Mr. Free Society Limited Government, how do you suppose you and your free society/limited government will enforce such a ban? Are you going to strap people down and force feed them the government mandated food, no more, no less?

Unhealthy eating isn't just eating junk food, it is eating unhealthy amounts of any food. Are we going arrest people for soda trafficking when they cross state lines to drink sugar water? What if they put some sugar in their iced tear? That's cause for summary execution, no?

They DON'T want to ban junk food, they are admonishing YOU for NOT wanting it banned if you want to ban things that harm people.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as the government does not protect the monopolies
    Government is made up of consumers, of course they are going to protect the businesses that can produce the best and cheapest products for consumers to buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    They DON'T want to ban junk food, they are admonishing YOU for NOT wanting it banned if you want to ban things that harm people.
    Yeah and I am pointing out the absurdity of what a ban like that would entail and pointing out his own hypocrisy for calling me a hypocrite not supporting it. Especially with his continued bragging of supporting limited government.

Well, you are the authoritarian, you tell me? How are they going to enforce a ban on alcohol? Oh wait, that didn't work. If people want something badly enough, then it's nearly impossible to stop them. Marijuana has always been easy to get, and it was illegal in every state for a very long time. Here we are, still spending billions trying to stop what shouldn't be stopped. If you are going to waste your time in one fruitless venture, why not another?

Here's a solution, stop being a hypocrite.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Government is made up of consumers, of course they are going to protect the businesses that can produce the best and cheapest products for consumers to buy.
    There would be no need for government to protect them at all, the consumers clearly want it. No government involvement is needed.

Yeah and I am pointing out the absurdity of what a ban like that would entail and pointing out his own hypocrisy for calling me a hypocrite not supporting it. Especially with his continued bragging of supporting limited government.
    YOU are the one who wants to ban things that harm people, not him, so YOU are the one who wants the absurd to happen.

I called you a hypocrite, if you want to ban some things that are "bad for society" but not others. Now, if you want to ban everything that is bad for society, you are not a hypocrite... just a huge authoritarian. I'll let you choose.

- - - Updated - - -

YOU are the one who wants to ban things that harm people, not him, so YOU are the one who wants the absurd to happen.
    On that note, I would ban something if that action harms others. I have no desire to ban anything that just harms the user.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am both hypocrite for not wanting them banned AND in favor of absurd measures to have them banned simultaneously?

There would be no need for government to protect them at all, the consumers clearly want it.
    Of course there is a need to protect them from other businesses.

- - - Updated - - -

So I am both hypocrite for not wanting them banned AND in favor of absurd measures to have them banned simultaneously?
    Either you want to ban things that harm people or you don't. Make up your mind!

Of course there is a need to protect them from other businesses.
    Only if such an action causes actual harm.

10+ Year Old Account
    On that note, I would ban something if that action harms others. I have no desire to ban anything that just harms the user.
    The irony...

Do you genuinely believe drug use, alcohol use, etc., only harm the user?

Only if such an action causes actual harm.
    It would cause them harm if other businesses took resources from the space they own!

The irony...

Do you genuinely believe drug use, alcohol use, etc., only harm the user?

Yes, yes I do. The act of using, transporting, selling, manufacturing, growing a drug does not harm anyone else.

Now there are other actions that a drug user or dealer may do, which is harmful. I would much rather ban the action which caused the actual harm.

- - - Updated - - -

It would cause them harm if other businesses took resources from the space they own!
    And that's why there are laws against theft and trespassing on private property.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My city has an epidemic right now, people are ODing left and right and many are dying to Heroin, it's so bad we are running short on the drug that counters oversose.

Worse a cop pulled someone over and someone had some in their carpet, he touched it and he went into an overdose and had to be rushed to the hospital

Pot is one thing, it's natural but fuck making drugs legal, drug users are a burden on society. There is no such thing as a casual user.
    I assume you are talking about this.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-could-ve-died

Heroin does not absorb through the skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionwoman View Post
    ^

Also, I think if drugs were legal there would be there would be as many drugged assholes drivers that assholes drunk drivers or smokers are now.
    Maybe even more.

I do not take drugs (other than the occasional alcoholic drink every now and again) but I am for decriminalisation of all drugs. The reason being that I think we're much better off treating it as a medical problem rather than a criminal problem. I believe the number of deaths would be cut substantially if it were legal.

There is also a lot of misinformation about drugs in this thread (which is understandable given the propaganda against it). 1 cocaine will not turn you into a girlfriend beating child abuser (I have many friends who take it recreationally who are perfectly acceptable members of society).

For what it's worth I think alcohol is worse than most illegal drugs but I do think the "alcohol is terrible and MDMA is not as bad so let's legalise it" is a terrible argument.
    Last edited by ShortWarning; 2017-05-30 at 04:18 PM.

People will go through phases in their life that are very difficult and sad, depression and anxiety, difficult break ups , the loss of loved ones... if you haven't had a very rough phase in you life you might not understand but you can lose your sense of judgement and become weaker than normal... you really don't want addictive drugs readily available in front of you during these times...because they are an escape. But this could destroy your life long term where as with them difficult to obtain , you are less like to take them and will get out of your funk naturally with time..

personally I feel we should be targeting the makers and sellers of the drugs a lot more than the victims who are often being taken advantage of.

(I'm taking about hard drugs not pot)
    Last edited by Spramp; 2017-05-30 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

Permanent markers? Strong glue?
    How many people are dying to huffing markers and glue each year as opposed to heroin? How many people are stealing and killing to support their marker and glue habit? How addicted to markers and glue do people really become?

Look man, if this is the best you can do, I'm sure the people who have legitimate arguments on the topic would like you to stop posting on behalf of the cause because you're making them look silly.

Deleted
    Many dangerous drugs arent illegal. As like tobacco and alcohol. Both are deadly.