Thread: Black Desert

Steam is different from other stores which simply sell CD keys.
    These stores get a very small cut.

Steam gets 30%, but have to provide a "download" server.
    Steam CD keys are different.
    It forces you to download the game/patch from Steam.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, figured i'd get this and give it a shot since it's only 6 euro on steam, immediately felt like i just got thrown in at the deep end. Apart from just following the main(?) quest, I have no clue what to do with all this information about nodes, conversations, farming and god knows what else

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Well, figured i'd get this and give it a shot since it's only 6 euro on steam, immediately felt like i just got thrown in at the deep end. Apart from just following the main(?) quest, I have no clue what to do with all this information about nodes, conversations, farming and god knows what else
    honestly just plod along it will slowly start to make sense, and then you'll find you learn something new each day even after you sort of have a gist of most of the systems.

a little advice is that questing doesn't level you up, at least completing quests gives you mainly contribution and sometimes free energy, some combat point exp (talents). to level up you mainly just have to grind mobs until they start giving you bad gains, then you move onto harder mobs.

http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

that interactive map can show you where farming / leveling locations are and the recommended ap/dp.

the node system will become intuitive, i think a bit of advice is to eventually pick a town to be your bank and home and connect your grinding zones to that town so any trade items you loot will sell for more at the trade manager of your linked town.

invest in storage space and workers to passively farm things like potatoes and wheat, then make beers to keep them farming for you. and then go from there.

you will need a lot of contribution points to get a few workers and link nodes to your chosen hub.

personally i like heidel because its roughly in the middle of the map but i don't think it matters too much which hub you decide to be your home.

don;t worry too much about spending your contribution points trying things out you can recall them at any time and spend them on something else.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-05-25 at 05:39 PM.

So I purchased the game and started downloading it. It will take some hours.

What I want to ask is the following: for healing do I go for the Witch or the Wizard? I am talking fully min/maxing. Also, if you're able to tell me what I want to do early for maxing my healing output later in the game (I'm a completely new player on bdo) like professions or stuff, please do.

Are there some intricacies I need to be aware of?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    So I purchased the game and started downloading it. It will take some hours.

What I want to ask is the following: for healing do I go for the Witch or the Wizard? I am talking fully min/maxing. Also, if you're able to tell me what I want to do early for maxing my healing output later in the game (I'm a completely new player on bdo) like professions or stuff, please do.

Are there some intricacies I need to be aware of?

This game doesn't really have the holy trio in this game. There is no dedicated healer.

It's close to g2w in terms of having a holy trio.

How is the PvP in this game, is the population decent?

Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    How is the PvP in this game, is the population decent?
    You won't. E relevant in PvP unless your put in an obscene amount of playing time.

Character creation is so good, i set out to try and replicate my GF in the creator but got carried away and came out with a Rachel from friends lookalike instead. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    You won't. E relevant in PvP unless your put in an obscene amount of playing time.
    I hear this for almost every MMO, is it really like this or is it where 99% of other MMOS are where only like 20% of those who PvP will destroy you while the other 80% are in an even playing field? I dont mind a good grind, but is the PvP fun and is the population decent?

I hear this for almost every MMO, is it really like this or is it where 99% of other MMOS are where only like 20% of those who PvP will destroy you while the other 80% are in an even playing field? I dont mind a good grind, but is the PvP fun and is the population decent?
    There's no even playing field in BDO. PvP is extremely unbalanced. Lv60+ > Gear > Class > Skill. If you want to be relevant in the true PvP endgame of BDO I'd say you need a decent AP/DP (200+ of each). The game is a HUGE grindfest, You can play it casually, but please don't expect to compete with the top end players. They will one shot you and move on like if you were a bug in their way.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no even playing field in BDO. PvP is extremely unbalanced. Lv60+ > Gear > Class > Skill. If you want to be relevant in the true PvP endgame of BDO I'd say you need a decent AP/DP (200+ of each). The game is a HUGE grindfest, You can play it casually, but please don't expect to compete with the top end players. They will one shot you and move on like if you were a bug in their way.
    Is the PvP something you run across in the world, or is something you have to queue up for that has an objective-based goal (like Control Points or Capture the Flag)?
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Is the PvP something you run across in the world, or is something you have to queue up for that has an objective-based goal (like Control Points or Capture the Flag)?
    once you hit a certain lvl you are flagged for pvp. Last I knew there was only 1 map to que for

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    There is a map you can queue up for but once you hit lvl 50+ you get flagged for pvp and can pick a fight with anyone you come across.
    Usually you fight over the different farming spots as it's much more efficient having the whole place for yourself.
    You can also be part of a guild and fight for nodes or against other guilds which is essentially just Guild vs Guild.

when i played this game daily i had no problems finding someone to pvp and we had several guild vs guild fights every week.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    So how well are classes balanced in this game?

I was on earlier and saw two different guilds say they were specifically recruiting berserkers.
    Classes matter much less than gear. Thing is, you're almost never DONE gearing. So class balance doesn't matter that much. Every class can destroy people, some just have it easier ( they hit the sweet spot faster in gear progression )

At a certain AP you start oneshotting people ( used to be ~200 back in my day )

- - - Updated - - -

BDO makes Vanilla/TBC grinding look like a childplay. You need to grind like a slave for 1 year to get where people are now. And by the time you're there, they'll be even stronger.

It does have soft caps for gearing and levelling, but they're just that, soft caps. By now most have gone past those caps.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Classes matter much less than gear. Thing is, you're almost never DONE gearing. So class balance doesn't matter that much. Every class can destroy people, some just have it easier ( they hit the sweet spot faster in gear progression )

At a certain AP you start oneshotting people ( used to be ~200 back in my day )

- - - Updated - - -

BDO makes Vanilla/TBC grinding look like a childplay. You need to grind like a slave for 1 year to get where people are now. And by the time you're there, they'll be even stronger.

It does have soft caps for gearing and levelling, but they're just that, soft caps. By now most have gone past those caps.

That honestly sounds like the absolute worst possible PvP system any MMO could ask for, is there no even playing field or instanced combat? The game is fun, just a bummer PvP is so lopsided

That honestly sounds like the absolute worst possible PvP system any MMO could ask for, is there no even playing field or instanced combat? The game is fun, just a bummer PvP is so lopsided
    The game is basically farm for hours to upgrade gear, after your gear downgrades or your accessories get destroyed when upgrading them, its back to grinding again to repeat the same cycle.

I was originally excited for this game for it's PvP, but after realizing all of the stuff everyone above already mentioned, I quit. I honestly don't know what people play this game for. It's an endless silver grinding simulator - like a more elaborate version of clicker heroes or something.

We need more western developed MMOs - no more of this asian grindfest/afk-play stuff.

Add in the pay to win elements and yeah, you have about the worst pvp mmo on the market. The folks who tell you different have already dumped hundreds or thousands of bucks and equal hours into the game and want you to play so they have someone to stomp on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is basically farm for hours to upgrade gear, after your gear downgrades or your accessories get destroyed when upgrading them, its back to grinding again to repeat the same cycle.
    You can lose your grinding progress in this game?
    That doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    You can lose your grinding progress in this game?
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Okay so basically.

Weapons can upgrade from +0 to +15, then

I
    II
    III
    IV
    V

As you can guess, your odds of success go down as you level them. Up to II if you fail you only lose durability, which isn't THAT bad. However, upwards of II, it can regress. If you fail II to III, it goes to I.

If you fail III to IV it goes to II.

Those are all very expensive to do, so the people that nolife have more money so they have more chances to upgrade, which, on average, means they have better gear. This game is 95% gear 5% skill. Skill only matters when players of roughly equal gear meet.

For accessories, they go

I
    II
    III
    IV
    V

But when you fail upgrading those, you don't just lose durability. The necklace/ring/belt outright blows up. Some accessories cost the equivalent of hours of grinding in their +0 form. You reach the point where a III accessory costs a few hundred million silver, which in turn means a couple days of grinding.

And you can lose all that if you fail an upgrade.

It's a horrible design made for nolifers and people that pay to win. If you thought all this was bad, there's Boss Armor/Weapons which can only be upgraded with Memory Fragments ( which are not cheap ). However, the pay to win shop allows you to get more out of those fragments ( for 1$ you can turn 1 fragment into 3 ).

Just writing this disgusts me, knowing that I spent months playing this game.

However I sold my NA account for 300$ so I got my money back and then some.