15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that it's actual good quality though? At least, the one I looked at looked kind of poor and wouldn't even play in my mpc-hc properly for some reason.

I still have yet to see Kimi no Na wa, and will probably just wait for actual BD because I'm in no rush. Hell, I haven't even watched any of the Kizu movies yet.

What a beautiful story with amazing visuals, A Silent Voice was just amazing.
    9/10
    Was very emotional and the ending was ;__;
    Wish i saw it at the cinema.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

NGE: Way late to the party but, 9 for the anime and 10 for EoE. All subject to change as I digest the series. Maybe I just possess too much empathy and a desire to understand; the main characters' situations are all very comprehensible and I find them compelling, at that. I enjoyed it thoroughly and can envision a re-watch at some point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    NGE: Way late to the party but, 9 for the anime and 10 for EoE. All subject to change as I digest the series. Maybe I just possess too much empathy and a desire to understand; the main characters' situations are all very comprehensible and I find them compelling, at that. I enjoyed it thoroughly and can envision a re-watch at some point in time.
    so who is your pick for one of oldest waifu wars?
    also watch the rebuilds sometime

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    *cough* Asuka *cough*

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    BDs should be out in about a month anyway, I think.
    Yeah 26 July so super close.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Yui Ikari.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yui Ikari.
    nice choice
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

sukasuka - someones being overly deredere today...and is obviously experiencing some issues...

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    sukasuka - someones being overly deredere today...and is obviously experiencing some issues...
    It seems we have a glimpse of the 'price' she is paying for coming back and it is in the form of her memories. It seems to trigger when she does things involved with being a leprechaun, and the red haired girl is playing a part in it some how especially with Ctholly's hair turning more red near the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Oh, they come out in July? I thought it was June.
    Yeah it should be July if I looked good enough on my pre-order for it.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call myself pretty new to anime. I watched DBZ, Naruto, and a handful of Studio Ghibli films as a kid/early teen back in the day. Been going through and watching a bunch of classic and recommended anime films/shows in the past couple months. Here's the list so far:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (X) 8/10
    Kiki's Delivery Service (X) 8/10
    Princess Mononoke (X) 9/10
    My Neighbor Totoro (X) 6/10
    Spirited Away (X) 8/10
    Perfect Blue (X) 10/10
    Paprika (X) (7/10)
    Ghost in the Shell (X) 8/10
    Akira (X) 7/10
    Kimi No Na Wa (X) 8/10
    Millenium Actress (X) 9/10
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (X) 7/10
    Digimon the Movie (X) Classic/10
    Sword of the Stranger (X) 7/10
    Tokyo Godfathers (X) 8/10

Series:
    Terror in Resonance (X) 3/10
    Serial Experiments Lain (X) 10/10
    Naruto (X) Classic/10
    Attack on Titan S1 (X) 5/10
    FLCL (X) 8/10

Turns out I'm a really big fan of Satoshi Kon. I've always loved psychological horror/mystery. I have no idea what FLCL was about but it was a great ride, sort of scared that there's a S2 coming. I can't handle the exposition in Naruto nearly as well as I could in 2007, but it still gives me nostalgia overload. I thought the first half of Attack on Titan was borderline unwatchable (the exposition), but it seemed to pick up in the second half.

Right now I plan to watch Grave of the Fireflies, Texhnolyze, more Studio Ghibli, and probably more Mamoru Hosoda.

@Alewyn: Zankyou no Terror at a 3, wondering what you thought about it. I had a very different reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyn View Post
    Serial Experiments Lain (X) 10/10
    Too bad you just missed goriq.

I ended up dropping Zankyou no Terror when the girl from the facility came in. I felt like it was toeing the line of irrelevance, and with that it went over the edge to me. I don't think it was as bad as a 3/10, but it definitely didn't live up to the big-name billing it had.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Alewyn If I may also inquire, what did you like so much about Perfect Blue? I just watched that myself and gave it a 7/10.

Oh shit, I just realized we got a nigga who loves Lain.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Alewyn: Zankyou no Terror at a 3, wondering what you thought about it. I had a very different reaction.
    Sorry to rip into it like this if you really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I thought I signed up for.

I wanted the protagonists to be legitimately bad/psychopathic dudes instead of being flipped into the good guys after a few episodes. Twelve threatens to kill the girl (I forget her name) if she goes to the police in the second episode, but the Twelve that would say that doesn't sound anything like the Twelve we come to know. The girl herself was sort of a pointless character there for a romance subplot. I also wasn't shown anything to believe the level of depression she had. I wanted her to join them out of misery/hatred for the world and then end up being the one who thwarts them. Nine and Twelve being a lab experiment gone wrong was handled in a very generic way. I thought it was a great premise that turned into a lackluster melodrama. I just wanted them to go darker and experiment more. The outro song was great. The mystery in the first couple episodes was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Alewyn If I may also inquire, what did you like so much about Perfect Blue? I just watched that myself and gave it a 7/10.
    I may be biased, but psychological horror is easily my favorite genre. I was really captured by the imagery (ex. the intentional use of red as a symbol for insanity), the additional subject matter such as body image, rape, women's roles in film, I remained unable to predict the end (predictability was a big reason Paprika got a 7), I loved the open ended-ness and thought provoking ending, the story felt compact and showed/told only what it needed to, and it handled tension build up/release perfectly.

These are pretty general statements, but there's many things I feel like I could talk about with this film. I've done a lot of film production in and out of college and Perfect Blue, although it's animated, felt like it really made use of those cinematic concepts.

I may be biased, but psychological horror is easily my favorite genre. I was really captured by the imagery (ex. the intentional use of red as a symbol for insanity), the additional subject matter such as body image, rape, women's roles in film, I remained unable to predict the end (predictability was a big reason Paprika got a 7), I loved the open ended-ness and thought provoking ending, the story felt compact and showed/told only what it needed to, and it handled tension build up/release perfectly.

These are pretty general statements, but there's many things I feel like I could talk about with this film. I've done a lot of film production in and out of college and Perfect Blue, although it's animated, felt like it really made use of those cinematic concepts.
    I'd like to hear more about it. I spend quite a bit of time analyzing what I watch, but I'm a biologist/school teacher by trade. I can take things apart intellectually, but when it comes to cinematography I am blind. People rank Perfect Blue very highly, but I walked away a little disturbed without a sense of purpose to it. In my research I ended up following Wiki threads to "feminist film," which made mention of much of what you bring up; I just have no codex for interpreting it.

I've always loved psychological horror/mystery
    I'm surprised nobody's insisted that you watch Shinsekai Yori/From the New World yet. It's basically the "official" collective favorite of the thread.

Sorry to rip into it like this if you really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I thought I signed up for.

I wanted the protagonists to be legitimately bad/psychopathic dudes instead of being flipped into the good guys after a few episodes. Twelve threatens to kill the girl (I forget her name) if she goes to the police in the second episode, but the Twelve that would say that doesn't sound anything like the Twelve we come to know. The girl herself was sort of a pointless character there for a romance subplot. I also wasn't shown anything to believe the level of depression she had. I wanted her to join them out of misery/hatred for the world and then end up being the one who thwarts them. Nine and Twelve being a lab experiment gone wrong was handled in a very generic way. I thought it was a great premise that turned into a lackluster melodrama. I just wanted them to go darker and experiment more. The outro song was great. The mystery in the first couple episodes was interesting.
    It's been a bit since I watched it, but I do understand where you're coming from. The vast majority of the complains orients towards 5's arrival and her intentions (which were a bit vindictive and humdrum). The girl was a contrived plot device and the romance was never really developed. I guess I was just smitten by the extravagant explosions and the mind-games played against the law enforcement. I couldn't nitpick the tedious elements because I didn't think the anime delved too deep into them.

As you've mentioned your own thoughts, I tend to reflect on what I thought of it. Maybe my 9 is way exorbitant; however, I can't ever see myself drop it to a 3.
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2017-05-31 at 02:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    SSY is essentially requirement to be able to join this thread, so yeah you should watch it.