Poll: First spec and Secondary Spec

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which Spec are you going to play for ToS

Hi guys a simple Poll for you all to express your opinion on the spec your going to pick!

Thanks!

Between Demonology and Destruction, whichever brings the most in overall power level to my raid. I'll alt the other if it has a good niche situation (Destro on Council fights for example).

Affliction is a cool spec and all but I have a hard-on for hard casting for some reason. Makes me feel more like a Warlock.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction primarily and if they ever change demonic empowerment I will switch my offspec from affliction.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I like the poll. But a suggestion: Maybe another option in the poll should have been:

"It's too early for me to tell at this stage of the PTR"

I picked AFF/Destro. But it could be Destro/Aff. And that's all going to depend on tuning.

The only thing I know is that unless they dramatically change demo mechanics, I'm not even going to consider it. All the OPness in the world won't get me to play that POS spec.

I usualy play afliction no matter what unless I see afliction is way way behind other spec

Why do so many go Affliction Primary / Destruction Secondary

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    Because they're the specs people most likely have the legendaries for.

At least that's how it is for me.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    From what i can tell Tos will just like Nighthold be a heavy split add fight. And affliction shines if the boss has more than 2 health bars

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to be Destro main and Affli off, but mechanically it seems Affliction lines up better with available content. I've been Destro main up till now, but I've been increasingly working on Affli to make sure it's up to par. If early indication for the patch is that Affli will again be the go to spec, then I will likely make the switch and start investing into Affliction full time and hopefully get better legendaries.

I voted Destro main, Affli off, cause I hope it works out like that (against my better judgement).

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because they're the specs people most likely have the legendaries for.

At least that's how it is for me.
    Likewise ^^

I chose Affliction as my primary and Destruction as my secondary because of performance (at the time) and legendary luck... I started as Destruction and collected Feretory as my third... Fast forward, swapped to Affliction as time went on due to overall performance and collected every legendary. Now, I am waiting for Space Time which is my absolute last Destruction specific legendary left.

My plan is to keep leveling Affliction (will be 55 after work) while my Destruction sits at 52 for the time being until TOS drops and we get our tuning pass... But that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I want to be Destro main and Affli off, but mechanically it seems Affliction lines up better with available content. I've been Destro main up till now, but I've been increasingly working on Affli to make sure it's up to par. If early indication for the patch is that Affli will again be the go to spec, then I will likely make the switch and start investing into Affliction full time and hopefully get better legendaries.

I voted Destro main, Affli off, cause I hope it works out like that (against my better judgement).
    Affliction changes (nerf to MG, buff to baseline dots) mean that it's getting more mobility but also less burst on adds (not that it was ever top on those)

Destro will have more burst on adds in most cases.

Raid fights often come down to whether adds die fast enough. They rarely come down to sustained boss dps (sometimes burst windows on bosses to push a certain % matter).

So I think it's highly likely that even if affliction has better overall numbers, destro may be the better progression spec. Recent history supports this idea

Deleted
    Sad but true, they have gone to great lengths to ensure affliction has zero burst potential, not even the half-arsed stuff it has now, which is a Reap+UA/UA+MG+pray-for-crits combo.

They nerfed Haunt's upfront heavily and reduced the uptime by a third, 10 seconds is notlong enough to dump a full UA load.

As Turturin says, in progress, on demand burst, particularly with low switching penalties, generally beats sustained, there are only somany ways to make an encounter exciting, and one of th emainstays if "you have to kill ths before it kills you".

Whereas there are few Patchwerks with enrage timers. Even addless fights - it often pays off to be able to "pump and dump" a burst of DPS to get through a phase or mechnic as quickly as possible, again, destruction wins.

It;s why destruction was THE progress spec, and probably will be again

Affliction only really shines when stuff is on farm, and you can leave the add crap to other classes.

I think new legendary ring, Soul of the Netherlord, could make a huge difference for Affliction and destruction.

For destro, we are getting a buff to Chaos bolt, so that new ring allows us to take Reverse Entropy (another 10% buff to CB) and Eradication (2nd CB will do increase damage), that could be fun. I don't see another good legendary for destro besides Sin'dorei Spite and Lessons of Space-Time, maybe The Master Harvester.

For Affliction, it could be more difficult, Soul of the Netherlord allows us to have 2 level 100 talents. Siphon Life does alright damage, compared to Agony and Corruption. However, if you are running Absolute Corruption and Sacrolash's Dark Strike, corruption far out-damages Siphon Life and Siphon Life doesn't benefit from Death's Embrace.
    Affliction definitely has better legendary choices at this point, maybe I'm wrong. I think destro got more buffs for 7.2.5 then affliciton.

I comment on demo, but i just got back into wow after an 8-week break so i'm not caught up on that spec.
    Please do one thing on the forums, read the whole post first, form an opinion, and then state whether you agree or disagree.

High level view of 6 of the 9 bosses in ToS. Aff should be quite strong on 5 of those 6.

Harjatan - Groups of murlocs spawn that need to be AOE down
    Maiden of Vigilance - Single target with movement
    Fallen Avatar - Add that requires burst for its shield.
    Goroth - Single target with movement
    Demonic Inquisition - Two boss fight with shared health pool.
    Mistress Sassz'ine - High movement with handfuls of adds that have a decent amount of health

Quote Originally Posted by severan View Post
    High level view of 6 of the 9 bosses in ToS. Aff should be quite strong on 5 of those 6.

Harjatan - Groups of murlocs spawn that need to be AOE down
    Maiden of Vigilance - Single target with movement
    Fallen Avatar - Add that requires burst for its shield.
    Goroth - Single target with movement
    Demonic Inquisition - Two boss fight with shared health pool.
    Mistress Sassz'ine - High movement with handfuls of adds that have a decent amount of health
    Thanks for the insight. For the Maidens of Virtue, are they stacked or spread apart?

Deleted
    I will play best spec

Deleted
    After being more or less pigonholed into playing aff in NH, more than anything, I want it to get nerfed into line with demo and destro in ToS. I just hope ToS will be a good raidtier for people like me who main/off demo and destro.

Deleted
    Affliction doesn;t need a nerf, Nighthold was Nighthold, which was full of adds to cheese buffs from, it was like a paladin being able to have wings up like 70% of the time.

Look at affliction before the change they brought in in 7.2, which was that every add would proc shards and tormented souls and wrath of consumption, or a fight like Trilliax where the adds do not die. Affliction was not dominating anything. Warriors, rogues,demon hunters beat us on single target and shadow priests domianted the only true council fight, Botanist. Then they changed the way adds procced stuff, and suddenly afflocks had wrath/reap/shards in excess, just having reap + wrath is a 50% damage buff.

Sargeras fights do not feature a steady stream of adds, most fights soul flame will do nothing (but they nerfe din anyway), wrath of consumption will donothing (but they nerfe dit by 50% anyway), many fights are single target or cleave, and they just reworked affliction around being a multi-dot spec.

And multidot specs, well, they are balanced around being able to spread dots around, which usually means they are crappy at single target, because if your single target damage is good through dots, your multidot damage does through the roof.

Nighthold was a raid that played to affliction's strengths after the change to how adds worked, before that affliction was middle of the pack, except on Skorpyron.

Sargeras is not like that and they have nerfed our single target damage - there's a limit to how much damage they can bake into dots you can put on more than one thing, and they have massively nerfed our single target multipliers, namely Haunt and Malefic Grasp. They have also removed Soul Effigy completely, and the replacements - Siphon Life and Death's Embrace, are both "spreadable". Embrace ramps up damage on anything below 35%, and Siphon can be put on any many things as you like.

Demo for Sargeras has much higher St damage than aff does, but it will be restricted because demo relies on being a motionless turret, as eveyrthing had cast times.

Whatever's best as always. #makedemogreatagain

Deleted
    I miss the option "Affli/dunno'" or "Don't decide yet" or "All' of em'"

Personally, I would like to stay w/ Affli, hope so it will be viable after this rework. If not, then I will try other spec or just reroll* for something else.

*reroll - play main on different class and using as alt the lock

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jinxd View Post
    Whatever's best as always. #makedemogreatagain
    But demo is great yet and will be fine - as far as I know - in ToS as well.