Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Option 1 sounds very plausible.

And it would be relieving to have a Naga expansion at the surface, instead of underwater
    No idea why anyone ever thought it would be underwater. The whole reason why Azshara and naga did stuff in Vashj'ir back in Cataclysm was just so that they could raise their continent to the surface using Trident of Neptulon. They don't need water to live.

Deleted
    having some fish bosses would be neato imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    I don't think they would risk it.
    There's nothing to risk. It works the exact same way it would work if you were to walk on land. You'd be running on the ocean floor, no swimming. Though you're definitely underwater. Just enhanced with some waterbreathing or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Actually, I would say it's The Lich King saw the future and prepared for it. Bolvar is still up there as the new LK, so we wouldn't get new character as you had hoped.

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at Vashj'ir and Abyssal Depth, just look at how well they are received

Oh wait...
    "Take a look at how Rift pulled off an underwater expansion"
    I highly advise you go take a look at how Rift pulled off an underwater expansion with underwater zones. They literally play the way you'd play on land.

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    There's nothing to risk. It works the exact same way it would work if you were to walk on land. You'd be running on the ocean floor, no swimming. Though you're definitely underwater. Just enhanced with some waterbreathing or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

"Take a look at how Rift pulled off an underwater expansion"
    I highly advise you go take a look at how Rift pulled off an underwater expansion with underwater zones. They literally play the way you'd play on land.
    Yeah but I'm not sure many people would love underwater, I would personally love it.

Yeah but I'm not sure many people would love underwater, I would personally love it.
    People hated the mechanics of swimming underwater. Take away the swimming and place running at the bottom of the ocean floor and the problem's solved!

People hated the mechanics of swimming underwater. Take away the swimming and place running at the bottom of the ocean floor and the problem's solved!
    It's not just swimming underwater. WoW is a game meant to be played in 2D, that is, we face our targets in the same plane, and they never go above or below.

People's complain about Abyssal Maw and Vashj'ir has rarely be swimming since we get swimming mount rather quick in the zone. The problem is the mobs attacking you in 3 dimensions. Remember when you have to swim downward to be able to attack the Naga that's not in your Line of Sight despite he's MELEE HITTING you? And when you reach the same plane as him, he moved and now you have to go up again. That's assuming you only pulled 1 Naga as oppose to 3 or 4, have fun swim up and down.

People who're used to normal, 2D Land combat WILL hate a 3D, watery environment, if the water is realistically implemented. And if Blizz doesn't care about realism and just make water 2D like land? You bet a bunch of people will be complaining, saying Blizz is lazy or the game is unrealistic, etcetc.
    Last edited by nothingsjim; 2017-06-01 at 08:34 AM.

Deleted
    It's not just swimming underwater. WoW is a game meant to be played in 2D, that is, we face our targets in the same plane, and they never go above or below.

People's complain about Abyssal Maw and Vashj'ir has rarely be swimming since we get swimming mount rather quick in the zone. The problem is the mobs attacking you in 3 dimensions. Remember when you have to swim downward to be able to attack the Naga that's not in your Line of Sight despite he's MELEE HITTING you? And when you reach the same plane as him, he moved and now you have to go up again. That's assuming you only pulled 1 Naga as oppose to 3 or 4, have fun swim up and down.

People who're used to normal, 2D Land combat WILL hate a 3D, watery environment, if the water is realistically implemented. And if Blizz doesn't care about realism and just make water 2D like land? You bet a bunch of people will be complaining, saying Blizz is lazy or the game is unrealistic, etcetc.
    Yeah exactly. Aoe spells doesn't work properly underwater cause there are multiple levels and spells like Death and decay or Blizzard which requires you to target the ground doesn't work at all cause there is no surface to target.

Like I said, everybody would be running on the ocean floor. Enemies included. And I'm very positive Blizz could come up with a good reason to make the water 2D, lorewise. Rift did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Like I said, everybody would be running on the ocean floor. Enemies included. And I'm very positive Blizz could come up with a good reason to make the water 2D, lorewise. Rift did it.
    I'd imagine a larger zone laid out like the Throne of Tides instance wouldn't go badly - no real underwater combat required, but just a very heavy aquatic "feel" to the environs with perhaps a darker tinge to reflect the closeness to the Old Gods.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    Yeah exactly. Aoe spells doesn't work properly underwater cause there are multiple levels and spells like Death and decay or Blizzard which requires you to target the ground doesn't work at all cause there is no surface to target.
    And heroic leap as well. So annoying trying to leap over water or in water and only go the wrong way (such as going down when i wanted to go forward)

I didn't mind Vashj'ir back in cata, it was one of my fav zones.

Now I am curious, what's the lore reason behind Rift that got every sea creature stuck onto the sea floor?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'd imagine a larger zone laid out like the Throne of Tides instance wouldn't go badly - no real underwater combat required, but just a very heavy aquatic "feel" to the environs with perhaps a darker tinge to reflect the closeness to the Old Gods.
    I suppose this is the only way for it to work.

Personally, I loved the aesthetic of Vashj'ir. The shallower region in Kelp'thar Forest gives a smoothing and tranquil underwater feel, which slowly turns into a mysterious (And horror!) of deep dark ocean as you progress to Abyssal Maw (The huge Abyssal Breach trench is real creepy). If Blizz can actually fix the multi-level issues and bugs associated with water, I bet a lot of people will enjoy it.

But chances are...they are just gonna raise Nazjatar to the service and give only small pocket of water quests. Like the eastern region of Suramar.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflower View Post
    Well up to Cata it was just finishing loose ends from Warcraft 3, MoP was the first genuinelly original story since WC3.
    At least they did a great job fitting the MoP lore in the pre-sundering past via Chronicle

Can't wait for Chronicle 3 if it includes any WoW timeline. (rumor is up to cata)

Now I am curious, what's the lore reason behind Rift that got every sea creature stuck onto the sea floor?

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose this is the only way for it to work.

Personally, I loved the aesthetic of Vashj'ir. The shallower region in Kelp'thar Forest gives a smoothing and tranquil underwater feel, which slowly turns into a mysterious (And horror!) of deep dark ocean as you progress to Abyssal Maw (The huge Abyssal Breach trench is real creepy). If Blizz can actually fix the multi-level issues and bugs associated with water, I bet a lot of people will enjoy it.

But chances are...they are just gonna raise Nazjatar to the service and give only small pocket of water quests. Like the eastern region of Suramar.
    Well, go take a look, instead of arguing against me lol

If you think they thought today's story out 8 years ago, you're pretty delusional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    If you think they thought today's story out 8 years ago, you're pretty delusional.
    They're a few steps ahead in the story, perhaps a few more than we might otherwise give them credit for. But no, they're not 8 years ahead, or anything close to that.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

They're a few steps ahead in the story, perhaps a few more than we might otherwise give them credit for. But no, they're not 8 years ahead, or anything close to that.
    Why did you respond? That's exactly what I said. What the fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Why did you respond? That's exactly what I said. What the fuck.
    Because I thought it was an interesting opinion and agreed with it save the nuance at the beginning, and felt like responding accordingly?

I don't think they would risk it.
    MoP says hi.

Just look at the lashback they got for the initial Pandaria cinematic, they probably knew how a huge part of the "MUH SAVAGE!!"-players would react and still went ahead.

World building doesn't need to directly or immediately impact the main plot. They can set something up without any intention to use it for years to come, especially when it's as simple as a single sentence in a book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they do think ahead in the story. There is a fact that during Vanilla/TBC era they were preparing to make the Cataclysm and the return of Deathwing.