• Think about my actions and how they effect Barron Trump

17 65.38%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    The public doesn't want to look bad?.
    I'm not following you here.
    A boycott is not buying stuff. Pro life strict Catholics are /always/ performing that boycott. What would pressure anyone to change their behaviour if prolifestrictCatholics are not changing theirs?.
    The company or business. And a Boycott can mean simply not participating or doing business with associates
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Is it possible to steal something stolen from someone else?
    Yes yes it is why even ask that of course the awnser is yes

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but what about the over all appearance company's cave political parties compromise frequently to appease those that really have no position because not to looks bad.
    Companies/politicians give in to boycotts because they make them look bad to their supporters/customers, which could lead to a drop in sales/support. That's not the case here. People who use birth control couldn't care less about what pro-life Catholics have to say about a company that sells birth control. They are not gonna stop buying birth control just because pro-lifers are boycotting said company/product.
    Last edited by zephid; 2017-06-01 at 02:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    Catholic church?

Is that still a thing?
    Largest religious denomination worldwide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Overall public?"
    The thread topic is about "strict Catholics;" are you moving the goalposts to include everyone now?
    No the question is about boycotting, and using a real example of a position over an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Companies/politicians give in to boycotts because they make them look bad to their supporters/customers. That's not the case here. People who use birth control couldn't care less about what pro life catholics have to say about a company that sells birth control.
    Doesn't stop empty threats though, people often say they are going to boycott products they never use all the time, say like Nordstroms.

No the question is about boycotting, and using a real example of a position over an issue.
    Bt no one gives a shit about what strict Catholics boycott. Especially something that everyone knows ideally that they don't even use... So to make this outrageous claim that the public gives a crap that strict Catholics boycott birth control is not only redundant, but damn silly.

10+ Year Old Account

Doesn't stop empty threats though, people often say they are going to boycott products they never use all the time, say like Nordstroms.
    Sure, but empty threats rarely work, because they are empty.

Deleted
    The company or business. And a Boycott can mean simply not participating or doing business with associates
    Ah, that's more involved that I thought.

Um, aren't they already boycotting the product by definition of being "pro-life" (I prefer to call them pro-birth)?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Bt no one gives a shit about what strict Catholics boycott.
    Especially something that everyone knows ideally that they don't even use...
    So to make this outrageous claim that they boycott birth control is not only redundant, but damn silly.

Well people do care, because parties and business cave all the time to this kind of sillyness, that's the point, if the choice was up to you would you concede to not look bad, or....

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but empty threats rarely work, because they are empty.
    Are you sure, are you 100% positive you don't see the effects of this kind of scenario pretty frequently in the news?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the OP title would have muslim in it this thread wouldn't get past first page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Ah, that's more involved that I thought.
    I guess it depends on the sacrifice some are willing to make for what they believe or what some will pretend to.

Well people do care, because parties and business cave all the time to this kind of sillyness, that's the point, if the choice was up to you would you concede to not look bad, or....
    No they don't...
    What could possibly make you imagine that they do?
    You should change your poll to "Does anyone really give a damn that strict Catholics only use abstinence and waits until marriage to boink?"

I'm certain that no one here does.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Oh, Mall Security is back.
    I wonder how many of his accounts are now banned that he's back to using that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure, are you 100% positive you don't see the effects of this kind of scenario pretty frequently in the news?
    I'm 100% sure I've never seen the scenario you described in the OP. Which is a group who doesn't use Product X threaten to boycott product X, leading to the producer of product X to withdraw an advertisement for said product.
    Last edited by zephid; 2017-06-01 at 02:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% sure I've never seen the scenario you described in the OP. Which is a group who doesn't use a Product X threaten to boycott said product, leading to the producer of product X to withdraw an advertisement for said product.
    Bill O'Reilly comes to mind, I mean I never watched his program because I never liked him, but when he made a few off the wall statements people threatened to boycott his advertisers and they caved.

Kathy Griffin got fired from CNN because a lot of Republicans and people that never really watch CNN and consider them fake news targeted ADT and a few other of their advertisers.

Shawn Hannity is being targeted according to some and he is firing back with calls for a Boycott of Rachael Maddow and MSNBC.

All examples of people who over all generally seem to hate or not even contribute to their rivals but threaten to not watch or boycott.

Bill O'Reilly comes to mind, I mean I never watched his program because I never liked him, but when he made a few off the wall statements people threatened to boycott his advertisers and they caved. Kathy Griffin got fired from CNN because a lot of Republicans and people that never really watch CNN and consider them fake news targeted ADT and a few other of their advertisers. Shawn Hannity is being targeted according to some and he is firing back with calls for a Boycott of Rachael Maddow and MSNBC. All examples of people who over all generally seem to hate or not even contribute to their rivals but threaten to not watch or boycott.
    Are you stoned?
    Where are the specifics here that claim to be "strict Catholics boycotting stuff they never use?"
    Or anything remotely comparable?

Pointless boycott?? I don't know if I ever felt compelled to boycott it would never be for something pointless. But to answer your question, NO not often, because before I do business with anyone that I view as a luxury usually I do research on the owners or those running the company.

If it is something however I feel there isn't much of a choice, I will voice my disagreement, but I would never make some empty threat to boycott, because it's disingenuous and takes power away from that position.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I think people starving to death because of how people FEEL about a piece of paper or useless morals is a hell of a lot more selfish.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but what about the over all appearance company's cave political parties compromise frequently to appease those that really have no position because not to looks bad.
    People are not starving to death, because Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire. You seem to FEEL a great deal about that very same money, which is why you want to forcibly steal it from all the wealthy people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you stoned?
    Where are the specifics here that claim to be "strict Catholics boycotting stuff they never use?"
    Or anything remotely comparable?
    I just cited some but here is another example with a Source

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...-to-pro-trump/

Now I completely agreed with the boycott, but I honestly can't say I believe most or even the majority claiming they would or throwing support behind it generally shop there over all.

OK let me put it another way, Say you have a group, and in that group you have you have a few in that group that NEVER contribute anything, they don't show up when you need them, they always point fingers and blame others, and they come to you and say they want you to do things their way or they are leaving.

Or what about another group, that is fundamentally against YOUR group, telling you that if you don't run YOUR group the way they want, they will never vote for YOU in the future, even though they never been in your group, and most likely never would be.

The idea is what is there about a empty threat or ultimatum that makes it in any way compelling?

Or might you entertain such opposition because of your fear of how it looks to others, including those not in your group or any other?
    At that point I will rely on my gut feeling. But honestly I won't let religion hold me back on basic human choice.Outside of that I think what causes people to decide on certain issues is peer pressure and social expectations. We live in a society they if you do not belive in this your entirely out of tune. Yet most of things promoted today is really propaganda and false. It's like the phrase if you tell a lie enough everyone will eventually believe it.
    Hopefully this answers my response a little better.
    Last edited by Taso; 2017-06-01 at 02:47 PM.