Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Master skins became low tier

Anyone else here who thinks that the previous Master skins are sold below value nowadays? I thought the idea was great - people with master skins invested a lot of time and gold into it. Kinda sad what has become of them and the very loss of its original purpose.

15+ Year Old Account
    As skins go, most of them weren't very "flashy" - just visible enough as status symbols of "I got this hero to Master".

Seeing as the Master category is no longer relevant, these skins have turned into regular skins. And seeing as they're not as visually impactful as other premium skins - barring a couple - then they're priced lower.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the sentiment. However I agree most Master Skins were underwhelming to be anything other than symbol of dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I feel the sentiment. However I agree most Master Skins were underwhelming to be anything other than symbol of dedication.
    Yeah, the master skins were in most cases only slightly different from the regular skins. Its like "Oh look, I've got more spikes", or "ooh see my bigger hat?", or "check my enlarged shoulder pads!". Of all of them, Thrall is one of the only ones I really care for.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well seems like new heroes won't even have them anymore.
    Space magic.

It depends on the skin tbh. Thrall and Rexxar have really good looking ones, for example. D.Va and Tracer are pretty potato and probably worse than even some rare skins, so I'd say they're right where they belong.

If Blizzard get the Master Taunts off the ground and maybe integrate them into the B step, you'll still be able to flaunt your "mastery" of a hero without having to use visually inferior skins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Master skins meant nothing, they weren't that hard to get, harder than they are now certainly.

But people with master skins didn't define anything other than that they played a lot. Good riddance of that old system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Master skins meant nothing, they weren't that hard to get, harder than they are now certainly.

But people with master skins didn't define anything other than that they played a lot. Good riddance of that old system.
    It was an alright indicator that a person had at least a halfway decent idea of what they were doing with a hero. Same with levels of skin tints. If I saw a master skin Murky or Nova on my team, I didn't immediately lose all hope.

Not that that was something you could really do anything about whether they had a master skin or not.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It was an alright indicator that a person had at least a halfway decent idea of what they were doing with a hero. Same with levels of skin tints. If I saw a master skin Murky or Nova on my team, I didn't immediately lose all hope.

Not that that was something you could really do anything about whether they had a master skin or not.
    It honestly really was not, nobody in a master skin ever made me really think they were any good. Most cases it was the opposite they farmed on one hero and complete had no perspective what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing about them was spending the 10k on them, the only one worth having is Xul the rest aren't that good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea of Master Skins was really cool.

The practice of Master Skins not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It was an alright indicator that a person had at least a halfway decent idea of what they were doing with a hero.
    Not really even that. For a long time you could literally level a hero to 10 without even playing them, just leave them AFK in training mode, then 20 minutes later tab back into HotS, pause Netflix or whatever, start a new training match, repeat until you hit 10.

Deleted
    Mh kinda interesting how you guys are so different from the "scene" I am in. But... seriously - back in days all payed and master even over them said something imo. At least in the world I live, which might be small and not include US

Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Mh kinda interesting how you guys are so different from the "scene" I am in. But... seriously - back in days all payed and master even over them said something imo. At least in the world I live, which might be small and not include US
    It's never meant anything in any world, to anyone who knew anything about the game. It was ridiculously easy to get master, as I said above, you could literally do it without EVER even playing the hero, just AFK farm XP in training mode, then buy them using the gold you got from daily quests and leveling heroes to 5. I know a dude who got the Thrall master skin doing exactly that, he played Thrall to 5 for the gold, decided he wanted the master skin cause it looked cooler, then he did daily quests, leveled other heroes to 5 for the gold, and when he wasn't working on one of those 2 things, he afked Thrall in training mode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    just AFK farm XP in training mode
    Nobody I know does this (and besides the normal buddies and scene I know about every german streamer and most of their regular viewerbase) - would be considered waste of time or effort?! But welp - we have different opinions on that which is ok.
    Last edited by mmocb759c3dfe2; 2017-06-04 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Nobody I know does this (and besides the normal buddies and scene I know about every german streamer and most of their regular viewerbase) - would be considered waste of time or effort?! But welp - we have different opinions on that which is ok.
    How do you know nobody did it? It's not like most people were announcing it(a lot of people thought it was an exploit, then Blizzard later removed it), and I kinda doubt you monitored their gameplay 24/7(esp since they could mark themselves as "offline" while doing it, so you wouldn't see them doing it even if you were friends with them). And of COURSE people aren't going to be streaming it, it's something people did when they were doing OTHER things, like watching Netflix or shopping on Amazon or posting on forums or cooking dinner. It essentially allowed people to gain XP without SPENDING any time on it, so no, it's not a "waste of time", it was a way to save time. You could get a full game's XP while doing other things, with no effort required other than "logging in, starting game, tab back over 20 minutes later".

I had master Dehaka, Brightwing, Greymane, Diablo
    I leveled 'em legit and not with the training free exp thing. I liked some other master skins too but the gold was often an issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    master skins were bassicly
    hero+abit more
    because they were simply suppose to share flavour with the orignal hero, so if you liked the orignal, you would like the master skin
    but show that you have something, they were not suppose to be these amazing changes the hero to look completly different

you like johanna, you like johanna master skin (suppose to be, im not saying this worked)
    but shows you are a master ,but now that it is removed ,they are rather basic skins in comparison to others
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n7stormreaver View Post
    Well seems like new heroes won't even have them anymore.
    What makes you think that? D.Va was released with a Master skin and I think it's safe to say that Malthael will have one as well instead of just launching with that set of Grave Warden skins (assuming that isn't his Master one).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

The only ones I really liked were Murky's, Nova's and ETC's.

Honestly the way they were implemented was never a good idea. Definitely shouldn't have cost so much gold. The gold cost was a far bigger limiting factor than actual hours played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.