Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I still say "tier" as "tire" and not "tear."

Deleted
    Butt-chair

Only when I'm with a certain friend do I like to pronounce "maintenance" as "maintain-ce", cause it provokes him to no end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    I can pronounce your handle as Spleen-duh if I want to, but it would still be wrong.

GIF has no T at the end, so pronouncing it like gift is wrong. You can feel free to continue being wrong all you like. Being wrong is your own prerogative.

To counter your stupid example, tier is tie with an r at the end, yet it is pronounced completely differently.
    You are wrong if you think gif is not pronounced like give.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    I wonder how people pronounce/read FBI, as JASD? or CIA as AUSJFHOAS??"!(#/#/)!"`? or MIT or countries. Seriously ,its a fucking G and stands for Graphics.

The end.
    From my days as a rebel teenager 2 decades ago, "FBI" we pronounced as "Feebs"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    This has to be one of the most pretentious things I've read in this thread. I'd wager it's a pet peeve for most people, not something to be legit embarrassed by.
    It's a gimmicky argument at best, or, as he pronounces it, jimmicky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    At this point, you're just trolling.
    No, you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The G stands for Graphic.

In addition, what other English word starting with a G is pronounced with J? "Geez"? Anything else?
    I don't know if there's something wrong with your genetics, or that you're just too much of a geriatric gentleman to think of such words, but they are definitely around.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's a gimmicky argument at best, or, as he pronounces it, jimmicky.
    I start using "juraphics" whenever someone insists on peanut butter names, and move on to any other g's I can find over the course of the day if they persist. I'll jit it. Jiv it to me. Boys and Jirls. Bacon and ejjs. Electric pluj. Everyone caves eventually.

i say in-famous, instead of infamous...

oh i also say mee-lee, instead of mee-lay

Usually, a c or g sound is hard or soft depending on the vowel that follows it. Here's the general rule: When c or g meets a, o, or u, its sound is hard. cap, cave, colt, comedy, curly, cuddle gas, gather, goblet, goddess, gum, gutter. When c or g meets e, i, or y, its sound is soft.
    Cuddle gas always gets me in trouble with my wife...

OT: As someone who has always done a lot of reading, there have been many words that I've known and been able to use, but not actually known how they were pronounced. As to words that I pronounce wrong even when I know they are wrong...forte. Most people (including me) say it with two syllables, but it's technically supposed to be one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    i say in-famous, instead of infamous...

oh i also say mee-lee, instead of mee-lay
    The in-famous El Guapo?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The in-famous El Guapo?
    i don't know what that is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The in-famous El Guapo?
    At a mexican place nearby I was at, on a taco tuesday, the bathroom has TV screens over the urinals. They play stereotypical stuff. Some lucha libre clips, mariachi music videos, and rarely movies. I realized I'd spent 30 minutes standing at a urinal having finished quite some time ago because that movie came on and I was watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    i don't know what that is
    Three Amigos. Go watch it. Now. Then write a 10 page summary about why it's awesome. We'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

i used to say wand as band for a very long time cos i never heard it spoken before, then i saw the harryp otter movies (non english speaker)

7+ Year Old Account
    Lol @ people arguing over "GIF". It's a fucking acronym with less than four letters. Pronouncing it as an actual word is stupid to begin with.

I still catch myself saying "shaman" as "sha-mun" (short a as in "catch") instead of "shah-mun" ("ah").

Also, translators are annoying. Why the hell do they feel the need to add extra letters where they've no purpose? Regardless of how it's "spelled" in their native text, in English it should represent how it sounds. Eg, the silent "u" in Japanese-to-English translations. If "Asuka" is pronounced "Askah", fucking spell it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Many Americans say it neitou instead of näto.
    Everyone I've ever heard say it pronounces it, "nay-toe".

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Because they don't know how to properly pronounce A, E and I anyway.
    Says someone who admittedly butchers the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I refuse to embrace the British English pronunciation of "lieutenant".
    Most sane people do.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-06-04 at 06:39 PM.

A giant one, as long as a giraffe's neck. Gift (and its derivatives) is the exclusive word that uses the hard G sound for the 'gif' string. Gif is always pronounces with a soft G unless followed by a T.

That is simply the rule the English language uses. I'm sorry that you feel bad for being wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Except for the fact that you're wrong.

Usually, a c or g sound is hard or soft depending on the vowel that follows it. Here's the general rule: When c or g meets a, o, or u, its sound is hard. cap, cave, colt, comedy, curly, cuddle gas, gather, goblet, goddess, gum, gutter. When c or g meets e, i, or y, its sound is soft.
    Except you are the one that is wrong. There is a rather extensive list of words that start Gi that have the gif sound beyond the gift and its derivatives(go back through the thread and look). Either way it is up to personal preference since either is technically acceptable, however Jif is dumb regardless of the creators desires.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Despite being British I pronounce cache Australian style, because that's how I heard it pronounced and it was over a decade before anyone tried to correct me.

There is a small regional area (like literally 3 or 4 neighborhoods big area in a large American city) here that pronounces a few words differently than most people, and while I escaped most of those horrifying mispronounications, I got caught with one I still try to correct but have slip out:

Radiator...Said Rad-EE-ay-tor

Of course it's nomally it's said Ray-DEE-ay-tor, like the word "radiate" and I know this, but my upbringing emerges every so often and there's snickers...But whatever, we all have our little foibles.