Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wonder Woman exceeded all expectations this weekend, delivering an impressive $100 million opening, the largest opening for a female-directed feature, vastly out-performing the previous record holder Fifty Shades of Grey, which debuted with $85.1 million back in 2015. Meanwhile, Fox's release of the DreamWorks Animation feature Captain Underpants came up a little short of Mojo's forecast while mildly outperforming the studio's modest expectations. Overall, the weekend dramatically outperformed the post-holiday weekend from 2016 by a massive 38% as the top twelve delivered a combined $176 million.

At the top, Wonder Woman, directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot in the title role, went into the weekend boasting the best reviews out of the four films that have been released in the DC Extended Universe so far and the critical opinion definitely aided the film's awareness as the buzz only continued to grow throughout the week. Following an impressive $38.76 million Friday that buzz was no longer due to critics as audiences gave the film an "A" CinemaScore, pushing the film over $100 million for its opening weekend, the first female directed feature to achieve such an opening. And as far as female-led comic book adaptations are concerned, it's by far the largest opening as the second closest is Paramount's Ghost in the Shell, which debuted with $18.6 million earlier this year.

------------------------

A confirmed critical and commercial hit...

My gf was so hoping this movie wouldn't be a flop, it was like all of femininity was on the line, we're going to see it again.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's a peeve I have with the movie, in that WW's whole deal is to bring an end to the war, but by doing so she still effectively takes the side of the Allies and mows down dozens of faceless German troops in a way that would make Captain America proud. Granted, she doesn't use her sword too often so I assume a good number of said soldiers aren't outright killed. But the poor sap that gets jump-kicked by a super strong demi-goddess through a two-story tall window can't exactly have his health improved by the experience, can he? It's not a big deal, mind you, and it kinda works with the heroine's naivety and inexperience of real wars. But I still had this in the back of my mind when watching it.
    Maybe her first experience with the Germans on the island left a bad impression...

As for her relationship with Trevor, it was supposed to have been central to her character's development as his heroism and romantic relationship was what led to her belief in humanity.

I thought the move was good, i called Aries in the first seen he was shown in thou. I do agree with others thou, she should of bulked up some for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everything going on between Ares and Diana from the moment he dons his armor to the moment she blasts him with his own lightning is pure bullshit - it feels like a completely different movie, because everything else is awesome.
    I agree it would've been a much better ending if Diana didn't actually "beat" Ares but instead convinced him to give humanity a chance and/or prove his point in a more "honorable/fair" way.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-06-05 at 01:41 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Heading to see it in a couple hours with my bf. Or more like being dragged to, since I don't really have much faith in DC movies after Batman Vs Superman : The Marthaning.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    While I agree that would have been a cool way to end it, after he killed all the other Gods over humanities failings I imagine giving humanity an honest go is pretty much out of the question.
    With Diana pressuring him, perhaps. I'm not saying he'd suddenly drop the aggression, but throttle down.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by GrieverXIII View Post
    Can i be ahead of the curve and blame misogynie for its inevitable flop?
    Now don't you feel silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    I think the chances are it will be a flop, WW is not as popular as other DC heroes for a reason, and it has nothing to to with sex/gender its literally because she is basically the female version of Super Man (Yes I know theres Superwoman/Super Girl but WW is sort of the "female" asthetic approach to super *man*).

The problem is that she is more of a steriotype of the problem female characters had in the day rather than being anything modern. The issue is she will likley come across as a typical "strong woman surrounded by men" with no real story to shine for herself other than that particular trope.

As a result, this will devalue her as a character, rather than her having a story to tell it will be driven by typical gender politics and an effort to make people care. It didnt work with Ghostbusters it likely wont work with this movie either.

TLR SJW pandering is always a bad idea, and its clear from trailers this film is trying to play that card.
    Oh, this thread is a gold mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Now don't you feel silly. - - - Updated - - - Oh, this thread is a gold mine now.
    Indeed. There are quite a few that seemed to really believe it wouldn't do well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was average at best. I didn't expect much going into it, so I'm not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    My gf was so hoping this movie wouldn't be a flop, it was like all of femininity was on the line, we're going to see it again.
    Same happened to my SO. I didnt get it at first, but i kinda can put myself in their shoes after she explained it to me. She said all she wanted out of the movie was a super hero version of her favorite action/horror character, Ellen Ripley. In a movie that didnt suck ass. Geek girls just have less main characters they can pretend to be, imagine things around, you know for anything. Meaning they have less variety to play with. And alot of what they get are very limited stereotype or side characters or some pandering bullshit. Stereotype in fantasy is fine, but male characters have a variety of them.

Plus if it didnt do well, super hero women movies would be set back decades. Because suits only know money and really didnt think the reason catwoman and electra sucked ass is because the movie were trash and not because the lead was a female apparently. Geoff Johns has been trying to get a WW movie for decades and everyone turned him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's a peeve I have with the movie, in that WW's whole deal is to bring an end to the war, but by doing so she still effectively takes the side of the Allies and mows down dozens of faceless German troops in a way that would make Captain America proud. Granted, she doesn't use her sword too often so I assume a good number of said soldiers aren't outright killed. But the poor sap that gets jump-kicked by a super strong demi-goddess through a two-story tall window can't exactly have his health improved by the experience, can he?

It's not a big deal, mind you, and it kinda works with the heroine's naivety and inexperience of real wars. But I still had this in the back of my mind when watching it.
    You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    Thanks for your useless input
    Thanks for your useless reply. At least my input still talked about the subject in question.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Thanks for your useless reply. At least my input still talked about the subject in question.
    Not really. your input was just a general statement. Nothing specific to this particular movie.
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pvrwizard View Post
    Not really. your input was just a general statement. Nothing specific to this particular movie.
    That general statement was about superhero movies, this is a superhero movies, thus the statement was, also, about this movie. Oh and why are we still arguing and adding nothing extra to this thread? Your reply is just as much wasted space as the one you push me into making here. You could reply to this again, but it would only be more empty fluff. So let's agree to both stop posting aye? (and that doesn't need a reply)

So who's shield is stronger, WW's or Captain's?

Signature Created by Jassinta

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    So who's shield is stronger, WW's or Captain's?
    You comparing a God-given shield versus a man-made shield?
    - says Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just saw it yesterday. Really don't understand why some people are applauding it so hard. It's probably the best of the Snyderverse DC films, but that's not a high bar. I'd still rank it below most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe suite of films.

Things I liked:
    - Gadot pulled the character of Diana off fairly well. No complaints about her acting.
    - WWI setting is underused and a great pick.
    - Ares was great up until the last 2 minutes (more on that).
    - The setup all seemed fairly faithful to the comics (though I don't read DC nearly as much as Marvel).
    - They made the Lasso of Truth seem awesome.

Things I got annoyed/angry about;
    - Really wish Gadot had bulked up just a LITTLE bit for the role. She was just this side of being overly slim, to me.
    - The romance with Pine's character felt forced and pointless. And then aggressively stupid (more on that). A roll in the hay would've been fine, but Wonder Woman doesn't need a romantic interest.
    - The ending was mind-bogglingly stupid. And by that I mean literally the final minute or so with the big bad. Everything up to that was epic and fun. And then it turns into "Diana can't figure out how to beat Ares until she remembers that a man said he loves her", and she pulls a "love is my strength" bit of garbage and blasts him with a lightning bolt that somehow works because shut up. It's a simple fix, in the writing, too. Change "love" to "hope" or "to protect humanity from the likes of you", and all works and flows better. You don't need to make it about love just because she's a chick, guys.
    - The finale should have been "you can't beat the God of War at his own game, by fighting him. He will ALWAYS win. Because he's the God of that. This is why the other Gods all died when they tried that." But Diana can stop him, and you can set it up for an eternal battle between Ares and Diana, as he tries to corrupt Mankind and she stands against it. They had that RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, and said "nah, she nukes him with a big lightning bolt." C'mon.

In all, the movie's perfectly on-point to me until the celebration in Veld. That's where it starts to fall apart, and it felt to me like some studio wonks forced rewrites in that caused it, because it would be SO easy to write them back out. It was really let down narratively, IMO, by way that finale went.
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I felt pretty much the same way.

Though being that as it may I still give the movie a thumbs up. Could have been much better. What say you?

Personally I didn't feel that having Ares at all was even necessary to the film. I thought her just realizing that men were imperfect and destructive beings but still worthy of living would have been enough. Similar to a Seven ending but nope we have to have this big stupid battle of the gods. If they had to have Ares in the movie I felt he should have been more mysterious in nature.
    Similar to the concept of the Devil where Ares has been stripped of most of his power but still has power to influence and manipulate.
    This would have fit better with the theme they were looking for I think. Then rather than having this big fight at the end he is more just a whisper in the night. That's how I would have liked it anyways.

Otherwise it was a satisfying movie.
    Last edited by Revik; 2017-06-05 at 04:14 PM.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I do want to. Still, the fact that there appears to have been little done to actually make WW seem to be built like an actual fighter of some sort, superhero or not, really disappoints me.