Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Many? I only know of Aquawhatever and POtD what are the others?
    I think they mean 'first of many'. Palace of the dead in gridania is the first, the second is somewhere in Othard and others will follow.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was excited to play the game again on a new Steam account and get it caught up for Stormblood especially after hearing how POTD was essentially a supplement when it came to leveling.

Unfortunately, I wanted to hang myself out of shear boredom even when powering through. It'd be nice if I could make bank on the loot I got at the end but it's literally the most useless junk.

If I pick it up again I'll probably prioritize fate-grind on top of the core story missions providing there are actual fate groups in the entire zone. Fate grinding on Leviathan a month ago is about as far from what I remember the months proceeding the release of ARR where it's not so much a train but rather a trickle.

I'm sure this is just one of those bathtub curves where the majority of players are either level 1 bots or level 60 though so it's not entirely discouraging.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    They'll add butt sliders when they also add a squat emote (and if they don't...that's a helluva marketing opportunity missed).
    Mog-Station exclusive!! $7 USD. Please look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Yes that's how I am taking it as well. The lvl 70 spell - Foul, sounds awesome but I notice its element neutral so it wont benefit from the fire/ice dmg buffs. I wish we could have seen what the spell graphic looks like though
    Can we talk about this for a second? Sometimes I REALLY fucking hate their ability names. Why would a completely badass BLM spell be called Foul? Is it weird that this annoys me?

Another really bad offender, arguably the worst is PLD's DPS cooldown "Fight or Flight". That's quite arguably the dumbest name for an ability in the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    The only zone that applies to really is the final zone which is probably the one you're referring to. Western Coerthas, Dravanian Forelands and Hinterlands are all very open... with Churning Mists being 50/50. I don't really know what you expect from a zone unless you want it almost completely empty such as Tanaris in WoW.
    You know, I actually really liked Tanaris in vanilla WoW (heh like last time I leveled a toon). If you asked me why I don't have a good answer. In fact I don't have an answer at all why.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well, I don't spam "gogogo" but I do run in front to both guide and semi-force a smooth run.
    I don't pull for the tank or anything but I run ahead to mark stuff etc. What I hate most is a tank that stutter steps towards the mobs.
    UGH just grow a pair and pull fluently.

Oh and depending how I feel I do hop around a lot.
    Oh I hate that stutter stepping thing. I don't know why it bothers me so deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    As a tank, I fully expect good DPS to try and run ahead and try to outpull me on Ex to keep up things like GL3, Aethertrail Attunement, or use procs like Thundercloud or Firestarter procs. It's nothing a provoke can't fix - or even just an overpower as I'm running through to grab the next pack. Granted - if they are actually ahead of me, I'm going too slow.

This game is different than others insofar that a non-tank isn't going to get pasted by a mob's autoattack, and errant damage while the pull is getting rounded up can be easily rectified by a HoT or fairy healing.
    In Legion, as a Ret Paladin, over 60% of my damage is done during Crusade. It lasts 37.5s with my talents/gear, etc. If I was ever in a pug and I popped Crusade on a trash pack I would immediately pull the next if it was still up because pug tanks often move too slow and I can't waste that precious time . I can easily survive even in high M+ between E4E, SoV, BoP then Bubble so it's never a huge risk. ironically only ever had one tank yell at me about it, and the healer actually defended me.

I've done it in HW on my DRG because I was really aggressive with Gierskoguls and my BotD timing was really tight and I needed something to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Can we talk about this for a second? Sometimes I REALLY fucking hate their ability names. Why would a completely badass BLM spell be called Foul? Is it weird that this annoys me?

Another really bad offender, arguably the worst is PLD's DPS cooldown "Fight or Flight". That's quite arguably the dumbest name for an ability in the entire game.

You know, I actually really liked Tanaris in vanilla WoW (heh like last time I leveled a toon). If you asked me why I don't have a good answer. In fact I don't have an answer at all why.

Oh I hate that stutter stepping thing. I don't know why it bothers me so deeply.

In Legion, as a Ret Paladin, over 60% of my damage is done during Crusade. It lasts 37.5s with my talents/gear, etc. If I was ever in a pug and I popped Crusade on a trash pack I would immediately pull the next if it was still up because pug tanks often move too slow and I can't waste that precious time . I can easily survive even in high M+ between E4E, SoV, BoP then Bubble so it's never a huge risk. ironically only ever had one tank yell at me about it, and the healer actually defended me.

I've done it in HW on my DRG because I was really aggressive with Gierskoguls and my BotD timing was really tight and I needed something to hit.
    Lol, its just a name man. I can see why it would be a little frustrating but seeing as how they're Japanese developers, their thinking might be different. Maybe it has a different name in Japanese and that's just the translation from Japanese? I don't know man but don't let an ability name bug you that much. I am sure it's easier said than done and I get it. The name of the last ability you acquire ends up being "Foul"? I mean come on.. that doesn't seem all that great, i agree

Considering the definition they intend with Foul, I'm not sure many synonyms would be better. Most either sound silly or sound so much like ACN abilities there'd be little distinction. I guess the closest would be Profane, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I was excited to play the game again on a new Steam account and get it caught up for Stormblood especially after hearing how POTD was essentially a supplement when it came to leveling.

Unfortunately, I wanted to hang myself out of shear boredom even when powering through. It'd be nice if I could make bank on the loot I got at the end but it's literally the most useless junk.

If I pick it up again I'll probably prioritize fate-grind on top of the core story missions providing there are actual fate groups in the entire zone. Fate grinding on Leviathan a month ago is about as far from what I remember the months proceeding the release of ARR where it's not so much a train but rather a trickle.

I'm sure this is just one of those bathtub curves where the majority of players are either level 1 bots or level 60 though so it's not entirely discouraging.
    PotD isn't exciting as a catch up grind, but it's efficient at least. The exciting part is going past floor 100 with a static group. As you go further, it gets more tense because something going wrong loses ALL PROGRESS back down to floor 50. Some hate it, but when my friends and I were doing it, there was definitely some excitement to the risk of a lure trap or having a room with a lot of dangerous enemies in it.

As for making bank, well, bit late to expect that. The market's flooded, so no way for prices to stay high with supply having gone up for months now. It's nice to have gotten Nutkin for less than 1 million, though!

I don't recall FATE trains being as heavy in Heavensward as they were in ARR, but they were still out there. I'm sure there will be some in Stormblood as well. Pretty much everything since the week after the last patch is pre-expansion lull, so everything's a tad quieter at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Vanilla relic weapons only take a week or two to complete as they are severely nerfed. A week if you go at it hard.
    As far as i remember they are removing the questline in Stormblood though, so you better get to it if you want them.
    Uh...what?

They've made no such hint, nor is there any legit reason, to remove the relic weapon quests from the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet no matter how many times I don't pay up, enough people will that it further encourages the sale of emotes in cash shop...

Heck, /playdead alone guaranteed more emotes for sale for at least the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post

When leveling a fresh toon now, there will be gaps where you won't quite be the appropriate level to start the next Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) so you'll need to find something to fill that xp gap. That said, the MSQ is by far the most rewarding thing xp wise to level so you should only ever be finding something to get xp when you hit these gaps. I'm leveling a totally fresh toon right now to experience the story again and came across this gap several times between 35-50. I ran PotD during this time (during this level range it took an average of 3 runs per level, with each run being ~15 minutes) and knowing I'd have this issue during this level range ran FATEs as I came across them. It's taken me ~2 weeks of casual play (~1-2 hours a day 6 days a week) to get to 50 and am now in the string of quests between ARR and HW, which will take me a while but I'm gaining xp for quests that are all level 50 and I've heard I'll be close to 54 before I even get to HW.

On a whim, being done with my main for now, i rolled a new character on Lich and picked Archer since i might be picking up BRD to play more in HW and man, Gridania is a goddamn ROUGH starting experience compared to Uldah or Limsa Lominsa. You can tell it was made first.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyati View Post
    POTD is a tricky one - everyone is going in with different expectations. I have recently been doing it to get Aetherpool levels up so I will have an easy time running it to level RDM in early access.
    Sometimes that first floor or two can be pretty amusing before everyone gets on the same page. Watching people run around a bit before they get into a rhythm. I've been leveling tanks recently, so I tend to take the initiative and hope people follow me.

Even when you are all on the same page (ie "speed-run")... There's still so many different methods. Some people like to split off on a room with multiple exits and poke their head in to open up the map. Some people like to stick together. Some people like to kill everything on the way to the exit, so that you don't have to double back if there's not enough mobs in the exit to activate the cairn.

I personally like to skip all the skipable mobs on the way to the exit, and double back when (rarely) necessary. I still pop intuition, but only bother getting it if we happen to walk past it. I'll also usually kill the mobs for a silver chest (if necessary), but won't go out of my way to look for them. I'll absolutely fight my way to silver chests if I see someone with a blue weapon, becuase I know they need it, but still won't go out of my way to find them.

Edit:
    The most amusing thing I saw recently was getting hit by a landmine 20 yards between a silver chest and the exit. 3 of us (injured) ran up to the chest. We all stopped short, looked at eachother and ran away to stand in the cairn. You could almost hear us all say "fuck no". Finally the 4th guy (un-injured) looked at us, walked over, and clicked it. You could almost feel his amusement when he realized what was going on by the way he sauntered to the chest.

We had a good laugh in party chat. Funny as hell and much better than having 3 dead people. Worked out well. Kind of amazing all 3 of us were able to pull up, instead of clicking on a dead run out of habit.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2017-06-05 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Uh...what?

They've made no such hint, nor is there any legit reason, to remove the relic weapon quests from the game.
    Yoshi mentioned it once at a liveletter, some time back.
    I might have just misunderstood, so calm your titties.

Just had to explain to a FC friend that SE made a japanese netflix show about a guy catfishing his own dad in FFXIV. They still dont believe its real.

wtf did I just watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    wtf did I just watch?
    A show based on a real story of a dude ensnaring his dad into an erp relationship in FFXIV.

They should have kept the name 'Daddy of Light'.

I think tumblr has ruined the word daddy in english speaking regions forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly annoys me because i think "he is going to pull" and start precasting a DoT or sth.
    Then he stops, the DoT lands and people bitch because I pulled.

It's ridiculous in this game anyway, one unleash after I am at the tanks position and he has the aggro but nooo people go all drama queen because s/o who is not the tank dared to aggro a trivial dungeon mob. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    A show based on a real story of a dude ensnaring his dad into an erp relationship in FFXIV.
    Wh...what? I hadn't gotten that impression of what got them to start playing together at all so far. O_o

From what I understood, he just got his father, who's already a gamer, a copy and was going to set up to play alongside him in game without revealing it was his son the whole time. He was just going to befriend his father in game, but secretly it was a chance to play together. They didn't have a bad relationship, but he was a businessman, so growing up they weren't terribly close.

Seems more just a story of how a son managed to reconnect with his father through the game.

Someone has been translating the original blog here.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-06-05 at 06:28 PM.

Just got flamed by a tank for using cleric stance in a dungeon :P I find it hilarious to come across this when pretty much every single discussion I've seen about healers has been people complaining about people NOT using cleric stance lol. Nobody was dying at all, dungeon was going smooth as butter. Tank waited till the very end to start flaming me for using cleric stance "HEALERS AREN'T FOR DAMAGE!". Tried to reason with the guy but oh well, guess there's all types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Just got flamed by a tank for using cleric stance in a dungeon :P I find it hilarious to come across this when pretty much every single discussion I've seen about healers has been people complaining about people NOT using cleric stance lol. Nobody was dying at all, dungeon was going smooth as butter. Tank waited till the very end to start flaming me for using cleric stance "HEALERS AREN'T FOR DAMAGE!". Tried to reason with the guy but oh well, guess there's all types.
    There's always going to be someone....
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.