Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The answer is easy.
    It is practically the same as this one.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

Dreams, accomplishments, and experiences make a life full. I'd rather die young knowing I did something than grow old doing nothing.

For some, that's climbing the tallest mountain in the world. For others it may be diving into caves knowing you're the first person to be there. If you don't have goals and dreams you aren't living. If you don't find ways to accomplish those, you'll be depressed. Life is about living. People do drugs because they want to be high. These people climb this mountain for a personal high that will last a lifetime. Much better option in my opinion.

I hit a major roadblock in a goal of mine this year. It took me two months, but, I learned how best to get around it, accepted it will take 2-3 years, and am striving to ensure it happens then, and ultimately, will be better.
    and then he cupped my balls...

#notallmountainskillpeople

There are plenty of people climbing Mount Everest without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Of course, the risk and challange of anal sex compared to climbing Mt Everest is not quiet proportional.
    Yeah, one definitely demands more lube than the other.

OT: I'm not really sure I "get it" either. I like hiking in the mountains, but I'll stick to the well-worn trails, thank you very much. There was a movie, "The Walk" that came out a couple of years ago about the man who walked on a wire between the WTC towers- and I thought it just looked like a terribly stupid premise.

Deleted
    Being an adrenaline junkie, or "adventure junkie", is pretty much no different from being any kind of other junkie; they get dopamine, adrenaline and other such sweet drugs from their activity, plus from the accomplishment of doing such a thing.

If it didn't make them physically feel good, nobody would do it, because boiled down to cold hard logic it's dumb as hell. Just like parachutes, wingsuits, parasails, all kinds of dangerous motorsports be it on land, water or air, and so on. People want to "live on the edge" because that's where they get their drug fix.

Most people pay boost groups to get on top of the mountain. I'm not a fan of this mount everest boost service tourism industry.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    btw: the tallest peak far away from earth's center ist not Mt. Everest; you better move to Ecuador and climb the Chimborazo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimborazo

and all those adventurers would happily sacrifice more than a toe to climb Mt. Olympus on Mars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reinhold Messner was the first man to climb Mt. Everest without the use of compressed oxygen. When he was interviewed by a reporter, he was asked… "Why did you go up there to die?” He responded…

“I didn’t go up there to die. I went up there to live.”

There's like 200 dead bodies on Mt Everest I read somewhere, frozen, some dehydrated.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    “I didn’t go up there to die. I went up there to live.”
    That's exactly right, and their idea of "living" is getting that sweet, sweet release of dopamine, adrenaline, serotonin and so on. Drug addicts.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I fully understand why people do this. I know I will never actually do it, but a part of me definitely wants to. It's the experience, to be among the few who have climbed the highest mountain in the world. To tell your grandchildren one day what you did.

Obviously people don't climb to kill themselves, as your title would suggest. They're simply willing to take the risk for an adventure of a life time. Some people like a quiet life at their home with their family. Others are adventurous and jump out of planes, bungee jumping, mountain climbing, extreme sports, etc.

I'm sorry your friend died while doing an activity like this. But he most likely knew the risks he was taking, and was ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    That's exactly right, and their idea of "living" is getting that sweet, sweet release of dopamine, adrenaline, serotonin and so on. Drug addicts.
    Wow, you sure have a negative view of the universe. And, just so you know, to be a drug addict you have to actually partake of any drug. And your own dopamine doesn't kill you. The activities to get it released can, in very extreme cases. These are incredibly rare. Calling them drug addicts is just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    I fully understand why people do this. I know I will never actually do it, but a part of me definitely wants to. It's the experience, to be among the few who have climbed the highest mountain in the world. To tell your grandchildren one day what you did.

Obviously people don't climb to kill themselves, as your title would suggest. They're simply willing to take the risk for an adventure of a life time. Some people like a quiet life at their home with their family. Others are adventurous and jump out of planes, bungee jumping, mountain climbing, extreme sports, etc.

I'm sorry your friend died while doing an activity like this. But he most likely knew the risks he was taking, and was ok with it.

I don't think he knew, he was young. But his whole life he was a fighter though, club foot and other ailments. I swear to god man, he was the funniest guy I ever knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Seems very odd to me. What are they trying to prove?
    Is this seriously that hard for you to understand......wait a minute saw the name.

Makes sense now.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

“Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?” This question was asked of George Leigh Mallory, who was with both expeditions toward the summit of the world’s highest mountain, in 1921 and 1922, and who is now in New York. He plans to go again in 1924, and he gave as the reason for persisting in these repeated attempts to reach the top, “Because it’s there.”

Mallory wasn’t being entirely flippant. He went on to explain:

“Everest is the highest mountain in the world, and no man has reached its summit. Its existence is a challenge. The answer is instinctive, a part, I suppose, of man’s desire to conquer the universe.”

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010/...its-there.html

Honestly, I don't think it could be explained any better than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Good read on the post, and I think the comparisons to climbing everest to anal is pretty funny as well.

Overall: people do things as accomplishments, why keep working that dead end job, or even do anything in life? It's just something else to do and it's something that people choose to do typically over the course of many years due to training, and money/etc. I think it's an amazing challenge, and I know I'd die trying to climb it myself.. but I don't need to climb it to feel better/or more accomplished - I'm here on mmo-c.com , that's good enough for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    If you even need to ask this question means you will never understand why they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I lost my best friend 26 years ago because he thought mountain climbing was cool. I miss that fucker to this day.
    I have a hard time beliving you're that old.

On topic: Yeah, fame and glory is worth quite a bit for some people it seems.
    The thrill might also be a reason. Danger is fascinating for some people as well.