Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb How high to die?

Hey guys, I was flying on my hearthstone steed one day and accidentally hit the dismount key. Well guess what, I died. But this got me thinking, how high am I able to be to survive a fall? I thought this would be a fun little trick that I could show off to my friends so I dug into the topic. Although I had not found anyone who knew about the concept so I decided to find my own.
    I first just flew up in the sky and measured the time it took me to fall. From there I was able to find the gravity of WoW which I got was about 10.6 m/s^2. Now that I know the gravity, I can figure the max height of which I can die. This took some time since I had to estimate and assume certain heights. Also using WoWwiki I based my height scales off of the fact that my race which is a male Blood elf hunter, is 6 feet tall and I was able to go from there. But after I was able to scale the heights in relation to the game, I found that at about 165 feet is where a character can fall and still survive. And around 170 feet is where someone will die. I also found an interesting thing where the amount of max health points I had was irrelevant to the damage taken. I learned this when I got bored of walking to my dead body so I did the resurrection from the grave angel. Apparently, at the same height of 165 feet, my character survived the fall and at 170 feet, my character died. So it is possible for fall damage to go off a percent health damage when falling. So now I know what height I should be flying at and not kill myself again lol. Hope this was interesting, I certainly had fun doing this little experiment!

i was told even 1 marijuana can kill you

10+ Year Old Account
    falling damage is definitely percentage based, but this was an interesting read. glad you figured out how to land in the middle of a fight with as few hitpoints as possible haha
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    I am finding this way more hilarious than I ought too. I might be more tired than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

There is an achievement.... figure the height needed for the achievement and you win the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    I am finding this way more hilarious than I ought too. I might be more tired than I thought.
    Maybe you're higher than you thought. Don't come down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    There is an achievement.... figure the height needed for the achievement and you win the Internet
    That one place in Orgrimmar, I think. Bunch of orcs figured it out.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The achievement is to fall 65 yards (195 feet), so I'm going to assume the limit is slightly past that.

I too am high so i gotta ask is this a wow question or a gen OT question i cant tell?

Or play a Mage, Paladin, Druid, Priest, invest in goblin gliders, etc....there are a ton of ways to avoid death from falling damage
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

They don't call it Terminal Velocity for nothing OP.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Become a subtlety rogue and amaze your friends by taking literally no damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijen5 View Post
    So it is possible for fall damage to go off a percent health damage when falling. So now I know what height I should be flying at and not kill myself again lol. Hope this was interesting, I certainly had fun doing this little experiment!
    Yes, it is percentage based. Also, do note that if you are stationary on your mount in the air, at level where you can still dismount and barely survive, and dismount, then you will survive. However, if you're flying at speed at that level, dismount, then now your momentum will make you fall at an angle forwards, making your fall longer and killing you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The achievement is to fall 65 yards (195 feet), so I'm going to assume the limit is slightly past that.
    IIRC, the Scryers tier in Shat was the perfect height to drop down to the lower level and earn the achievement without dying back when it was first added.

The Aldor one, however, was too tall, and you'd go splat.

Deleted
    I seriously thought the thread was about drugs when I first read the title.

Very interesting indeed, it's funny that you got into this trouble to figure it out.
    Btw how do you know how high up you're flying?

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    You cannot OD on MJ. The effects can kill you if you do something stupid though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    IIRC, the Scryers tier in Shat was the perfect height to drop down to the lower level and earn the achievement without dying back when it was first added.

The Aldor one, however, was too tall, and you'd go splat.
    Died to that damn elevator many times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Become a subtlety rogue and amaze your friends by taking literally no damage.
    Druids and panda take less falling damage. Or should I say VanDamage.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    You cannot OD on MJ. The effects can kill you if you do something stupid though.
    "Injecting marijuanas" is a meme. I'm pretty sure it came from this.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

10+ Year Old Account
    just rocket jump shortly before landing and youll be fine
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Rogues can fall from any height as long as you can grapplehook yourself to the ground before landing...

Quote Originally Posted by kivutar View Post
    Rogues can fall from any height as long as you can grapplehook yourself to the ground before landing...
    Or if you're subtlety with Catlike Reflexes on your artifact.
    But then again, I am a Snowman on Fire!
    Yizelin the Insane