Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    so colleges are ruining peoples lives over private posts and memes that mean jack shit? cause of morals? harvard? this makes me laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    so yeah this could totally be called thought policing. why the college cares what people do or say to one another in a private setting is very strange and disturbing to me.
    If it were a private setting, Harvard would never have found out about it.

It wasn't.

This is kids learning that your public actions have consequences. You have freedom of speech. And everyone else has the freedom to have nothing to do with you because they find your speech heinous. If that has negative consequences to you, well, tough. That's the lesson you should be learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    so yeah this could totally be called thought policing. why the college cares what people do or say to one another in a private setting is very strange and disturbing to me.
    yeah im surprised more liberal groups are not defending the students. where the fuck is the ACLU? im assuming the kids were white which is why nobody gives a fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    did you really just say that? so if i send you a private message and then you share it with others it was never private? you got problems man, your way of thinking is just so fucked up. you really really need to go to a therapist or something and find out wtf is wrong with you. why do you feel the need to abuse your forum power to silence your critics? you are really proud of yourself and for what? your thinking is all kinds of fucking wrong and immature. grow the fuck up ENDUS.

Infracted - Minor Flaming
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-06-06 at 08:53 AM.

Don't care much about "memes" but I like dark humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Don't care much about "memes" but I like dark humour.
    some of them were funny as fuck/ others dumb as fuck

definitely not worthy of ruining peoples lives over. if we were to hear about a student shooting up harvard school board we will know why.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    yeah im surprised more liberal groups are not defending the students. where the fuck is the ACLU? im assuming the kids were white which is why nobody gives a fuck.
    I don't have enough limbs to properly demonstrate the wanking motion this post deserves as a response.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't.

This is kids learning that your public actions have consequences. You have freedom of speech. And everyone else has the freedom to have nothing to do with you because they find your speech heinous. If that has negative consequences to you, well, tough. That's the lesson you should be learning.
    blah blah yes yes thanks for the life lessons mum.

It wasn't.

Including Harvard in the name was prolly mistake #1.

It's one thing to make a racist fool of yourself, its another to do so about your school/employer. If Harvard hadn't reacted, they'd have been shown as approving of their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Harvard has no business pushing their moral values on people, especially if this was in a private group. Somebody probably got pissed off and leaked the whole thing after some internal disagreement or somebody infiltrated their group just to report them. Total dick move. Universities should be about teaching actual subjects rather than peddling moral outrage at anything they disagree with.

http://archive.is/Ua8Bd - The memes in question; some "edge", not that horrific.
    Damn those were dumb, it must really suck to lose Harvard over such stupid things. Maybe next time they should aim for some better edge to go out as champs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    did you really just say that? so if i send you a private message and then you share it with others it was never private? you got problems man, your way of thinking is just so fucked up. you really really need to go to a therapist or something and find out wtf is wrong with you. why do you feel the need to abuse your forum power to silence your critics? you are really proud of yourself and for what? your thinking is all kinds of fucking wrong and immature. grow the fuck up ENDUS.
    You're telling someone to grow up after seamlessly transitioning from the topic at hand to a tangential rant.

Let that sink in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    not private if its on the interwebz

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Damn those were dumb, it must really suck to lose Harvard over such stupid things. Maybe next time they should aim for some better edge to go out as champs.
    Those count as offensive? Jesus. what happened to people. There used to actually be adults in the world, but now it seems to be full of tantrum throwing children.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    If it was private how did school officials find out about it?

Do you think if you had a job interview, and you made a joke about fucking kids you would get that job?

How about if they offered you the job, and then you accidentally texted some "dark humor" about fucking kids to your new boss. Do you think that offer would still stand?

Ridiculous is your reaction. Does it suck? Yes. But it is hardly undeserved.
    It was a private group.

If they sent a picture of a dark joke or wrote one in their application, then sure, your example would be legit.

That's not the case.

If you accidentally send a dark joke to your boss before being employed, then you should be unemployed because of your carelessness, not because of the joke.

My reaction is far from ridiculous. Your strawman, however, is.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

What you say to your friends shouldn't be policed imo.

If private message content was revealed half the world would be embarrassed beyond belief;.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Including Harvard in the name was prolly mistake #1.

It's one thing to make a racist fool of yourself, its another to do so about your school/employer. If Harvard hadn't reacted, they'd have been shown as approving of their behavior.
    there is a hundred different ways to rectify this problem without resulting to ruining their harvard education. talk about a knee jerk reaction and a punishment not fitting the crime. first thing harvard should have done is request the group be dissolved and remind them about the "honors of being a harvard student". if they had refused then i could see reason for escalating the situation but this is pure insanity backed by the ideas of insane people that want to punish others for having a different opinion. something this forum and their self-righteousness attitude tends to do a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We know why you guys hide your true identities. Being a bigot has no place in most of modern society and you lack the courage to stand up for your convictions.
    There goes the pot calling the kettle black.

They deserved to have their offers rescinded.

Harvard is a private institution. You have no First Amendment expectations in private institutions. They are free to control speech as they see fit. You agree to that by enrolling. Don't like it? Leave.

If I were a college recruiter, I wouldn't want to bring in folks who make jokes like that, it shows poor character. Maybe at some shitty school like Evergreen that would be ok, or a low-tier state school.

I'm tired of free speech idiots believing that the First Amendment applies to everything.

If it was revealed and not in a public chat, that's too bad, but Harvard still has the final say on who can enter their institution.

I wonder how the school found out about what was in the chat. Someone showing officials the chat to fuck over their friends is pretty weird.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    They deserved to have their offers rescinded.

Harvard is a private institution. You have no First Amendment expectations in private institutions. They are free to control speech as they see fit. You agree to that by enrolling. Don't like it? Leave.

If I were a college recruiter, I wouldn't want to bring in folks who make jokes like that, it shows poor character. Maybe at some shitty school like Evergreen that would be ok, or a low-tier state school.

I'm tired of free speech idiots believing that the First Amendment applies to everything.

If it was revealed and not in a public chat, that's too bad, but Harvard still has the final say on who can enter their institution.
    Yeah, yeah... the old "it's a private institution/company" bat. Nothing they do will eeeeever influence you/me anyway. It's just a tiny indie university, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Nothing they do will eeeeever influence you/me anyway. It's just a tiny indie university, right?
    Irrelevant. The First Amendment deals with free speech and the government. It's not a panacea allowing you to spew out any garbage you want in anyone's living room or institution with no consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Yeah, yeah... the old "it's a private institution/company" bat. Nothing they do will eeeeever influence you/me anyway. It's just a tiny indie university, right?
    That's not even the problem with what that guy is saying. Making the argument that something is right or wrong because it is legal or allowed is just asinine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Irrelevant. The First Amendment deals with free speech and the government. It's not a panacea allowing you to spew out any garbage you want in anyone's living room or institution with no consequences.
    I don't even know why you think law comes into this issue. Harvard can reject people for saying anything Harvard doesn't like. The discussion is whether or not the kids deserved it.