Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    eta: I mean, really. You don't find it remotely stupid that Ego just blurts out that he gave Peter's mom a tumor for no discernible reason whatsoever other than to give Peter motivation to fight him? That's laughable if you honestly insist that it makes any sense.
    He's being honest with the one child he's had he thinks can be of use to him. He doesn't see silly little mortals as being worth much of anything, so he doesn't understand why Peter would get all that upset, especially given what Ego's offering him.

It may be "stupid", but it's because Ego is "stupid"; he lacks any capacity to understand the mortal perspective. It's a major character issue they drill into your head several times over in the course of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It may be "stupid", but it's because Ego is "stupid"; he lacks any capacity to understand the mortal perspective. It's a major character issue they drill into your head several times over in the course of the film.
    Erm well...it wasn't drilled into my head. I got the impression that he was selfish and a dick, but not that he had "no capacity to understand the mortal perspective". And I certainly didn't find it even fucking REMOTELY believable that he would be stupid enough to make the tumor comment. It literally seemed to me like the scriptwriters were like "oh shit, how are we gonna get them to fight? Oh, I know, let's let him announce he gave Peter's mom her tumor, that will do it!". That scene is completely, 100% EVERY SINGLE BIT as stupid as the "Martha!" scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Erm well...it wasn't drilled into my head. I got the impression that he was selfish and a dick, but not that he had "no capacity to understand the mortal perspective". And I certainly didn't find it even fucking REMOTELY believable that he would be stupid enough to make the tumor comment. It literally seemed to me like the scriptwriters were like "oh shit, how are we gonna get them to fight? Oh, I know, let's let him announce he gave Peter's mom her tumor, that will do it!". That scene is completely, 100% EVERY SINGLE BIT as stupid as the "Martha!" scene.
    Only because you weren't paying much attention to the film, apparently. This is the whole reason Peter eventually realizes his dad is a monster and needs to be stopped. He's not just "an asshole", he's a genocidal godling who doesn't consider life other than himself anything but a curiosity. Y'know, the personification of "ego"; his name is a bit of a clue.

Let's check what the critics thought of the two films, shall we?
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gua...e_galaxy_vol_2, critic average of 81%.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bat...awn_of_justice, critic average of 27%.

Sure seems like I'm not the only person who thought it had glaring issues.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-06-06 at 02:30 AM.

Only because you weren't paying much attention to the film, apparently. This is the whole reason Peter eventually realizes his dad is a monster and needs to be stopped. He's not just "an asshole", he's a genocidal godling who doesn't consider life other than himself anything but a curiosity.
    No, I was paying attention, I just wasn't imagining things that weren't fucking there. No shit he's a genocidal godling, the thing is, they did fucking NOT build that up as his whole thing until the reveal at the very end(prior to that, he WAS just "an asshole"), a reveal he literally had NO REASON to make other than to give Peter a reason to fight him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    No, I was paying attention, I just wasn't imagining things that weren't fucking there. No shit he's a genocidal godling, the thing is, they did fucking NOT build that up as his whole thing until the reveal at the very end(prior to that, he WAS just "an asshole"), a reveal he literally had NO REASON to make other than to give Peter a reason to fight him.
    Other than trying to be honest with his one true son. Something he explicitly stated, and which you apparently missed. Hence my point.

Particularly as this isn't remotely the first time Ego's done this stuff, and when his kids didn't work out in the past, he just killed them and tried again. Another major point that you're ignoring. Ego has no reason to think Peter poses any threat, and he's perfectly willing to take his essence by force if need be, even if he'd prefer otherwise. As we see, almost immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched it today and loved it. Dont really care what people have to say about it, i just enjoyed the hell out of it. Top 3 comic book movie of all time for me!

Quote Originally Posted by proralph View Post
    You comparing a God-given shield versus a man-made shield?
    A Man-Made Shield that stood up against a God-Given Hammer.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Wo-maaan~!

Other than trying to be honest with his one true son. Something he explicitly stated, and which you apparently missed. Hence my point.

Particularly as this isn't remotely the first time Ego's done this stuff, and when his kids didn't work out in the past, he just killed them and tried again. Another major point that you're ignoring. Ego has no reason to think Peter poses any threat, and he's perfectly willing to take his essence by force if need be, even if he'd prefer otherwise. As we see, almost immediately.
    Except there's literally NO REASON for him TO be honest, it actually goes against his "selfish asshole" character he had been depicted as. They literally had him decide to be honest and make his grand announcement solely so Peter and him could have a big fight. He actually might have been able to get Peter to go along with his scheme if he had just kept his mouth shut and not revealed all of what he would really be doing.

Again, the part about him doing it in the past was not something that was mentioned until the end, as part of his big reveal, so it's not relevant to how the character had been built up previously.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    saw it. was pleasantly surprised.

They focused on making a good movie, instead of trying to press some political agenda or overshooting dark and gritty.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Then we have the idea that Batman would somehow be convinced that Superman was a danger to humanity and absolutely had to be killed to protect us, and then would change his mind solely because he finds out their moms shared a name, that's ridiculous. As is the fact that Supes' mom is only really at risk because Superman forgets he has powers (and the bad guys somehow magically WON'T kill her if Batman tries to save her, but would if Superman does, which is nonsense).
    I still don't understand why that's ridiculous. Bruce Wayne thought of Superman as an alien, both literally and figuratively. He feared the idea that Superman, in his cold, alien logic, would destroy mankind even acting in his best intentions, like some sort of robot in Isaac Asimov's universe. His fear was completely fueled by an irrational rage which drove him since Robin was killed by the Joker. This is an angry Batman, and we saw it in BvS.

Thus, narratively, it makes sense to me that a random, irrational coincidence is what diffuses the situation. Logic and rationality that Superman had tried before certainly weren't getting through. Logically, Bruce was probably right. It was only the emotional plea which pierced Bruce's rage - a very human emotion. For Bruce Wayne, his parents grounded him, made him not the rich, snotty playboy someone with billions of dollars could easily be. And their love for him, and their subsequent death, led him to being the Batman. In that moment, when he finds out Supes has a mother named Martha - it doesn't change the fact that he's a literal alien, but it makes him figuratively more human. It's quite poetical, actually.

It was just executed like shit. Including the part you mentioned, where Superman can't do it himself. IIRC, it was set up as him having to make a choice between his own mother and saving Metropolis, and he had to sacrifice his mother - but as you rightly pointed out, Superman should have been able to save her in seconds.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2017-06-06 at 07:17 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I find Nightwing being Asian pretty unlikely.
    Considering Richard "Dick" Grayson been dead since before Bruce parent's were buried in the BvS flashback, that's unlikely.

And then there is the whole Robin (Tim Drake) became the Joker theory which is rather convincing if you watch this https://youtu.be/F85iZcgedGM

Quote Originally Posted by proralph View Post
    You comparing a God-given shield versus a man-made shield?
    Well Cap's may be man made it can deflect bullets and even took a hit from Thor's hammer and can bounce off walls so yes, I am. I am legitimately curious if there is any canon about either shield since I don't follow the comics.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Well, for the longest time Cap's shield was indestructible. It was the result of an accident that mixed adamantium with vibranium in such a way that it was even more indestructible than primary adamantium. None of the big guns in the Marvel universe could ever bend that shield, until Dr. Doom wielding the power of the Beyonder gave it his best shot and broke it. Since then writers have apparently decided to say fuck it and have other powerful characters break it to fit some storyline. (Thanos using the Infinity Gauntlet, Molecule Man just to name another couple of powerhouses)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, for the longest time Cap's shield was indestructible. It was the result of an accident that mixed adamantium with vibranium in such a way that it was even more indestructible than primary adamantium. None of the big guns in the Marvel universe could ever bend that shield, until Dr. Doom wielding the power of the Beyonder gave it his best shot and broke it. Since then writers have apparently decided to say fuck it and have other powerful characters break it to fit some storyline. (Thanos using the Infinity Gauntlet, Molecule Man just to name another couple of powerhouses)
    Its never been indestructible. It is composed of the strongest man-made alloy and because of its vibranium component its somewhat energy absorbent which makes it harder to destroy. An appropriately powered individual (Beyonder, Infinity Gauntlet, etc) could break it. A person who can manipulate things on the molecular or atomic scale could also damage the shield by unraveling its molecular structure. This has always been the case but there are relatively few people who can do such things.

A magic shield is different. Its strength is dependent on the strength of the enchantment. Mjolnir is composed of Uru, a magical alloy. Its near indestructible because of the workmanship of Asgard's dwarves and the power of the enchantment Odin placed on it. I do not know what Wonder Woman's shield is like aside from the fact she doesn't really need it. Her bracelets on the other hand... that's where the real power resides. Hephastus crafted them to be near indestructible and they're capable of blocking Darkseid's Omega Effect which will unravel almost anything.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    i personally didn't like the movie first super hero movie i was bored though all of it.
    -snip-

here's a crazy guy talking about it if any one wants to pick the video apart i found it fun to do so.

mod edit: That video is far, far off topic, and not relevant at all to the Cinema subforum.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2017-06-09 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This weekend's returns will basically sink it or keep it afloat.

I LOVED it. They really made me care about Steve, even the Warriors Three were great.

I'd rate it #2 in my superhero movies top ( that excludes the Dark Knight series ) after GOTG 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it. Needed more Princess Buttercup, hell, I'd watch a movie just about that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    This weekend's returns will basically sink it or keep it afloat.
    It's looking at a sub 50% drop 2nd weekend.