Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

My growing problem with the "Skeptic" or "Anti-SJW" movement

I think Creationist Cat's video described it best:

I've noticed that the "Anti-SJW" or "skeptic community" has steadily become less about upholding factual evidence, but triggering regressives. As the community expanded, it began propping up and supporting certain people who also started to attack SJWs. People who couldn't give a shit about upholding factual narratives, but attacking the regressive left while simultaneously pushing their own narratives.

Those who choose to uphold the scientific and academic part of skepticism and abhor concepts such as racial "realism", gender roles and climate change denial and conspiracy theories are often being labeled as regressives themselves.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2017-06-06 at 01:43 PM.

That's the trouble with group labels, the barrier to entry is always at it's lowest possible level and so the shit shows of the world eventually seep in.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because like people who are normal Left Wing people that get lumped in with the absolute batshit fucking retarded Regressives, the Right also has batshit fucking insane people as well that the normal Right Wing people get lumped with.

My problem with the "Anti SJW"-crowd is the notion, that a problem doesn't exist just because it doesn't affect them. Ignorance is bliss i guess.

wat

This is the first time I ever heard those two labels to describe the same group of people. The "Anti-SJW" never were much for factual evidence in my experience, just an opposite version of "SJWs". I mean I'd consider myself a skeptic and I would never want to associate with either group.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I think Creationist Cat's video described it best:

I've noticed that the "Anti-SJW" or "skeptic community" has steadily become less about upholding factual evidence, but triggering regressives. As the community expanded, it began propping up and supporting certain people who also started to attack SJWs. People who could give a shit about upholding factual narratives, but attacking the regressive left while simultaneously pushing their own narratives.

Those who choose to uphold the scientific and academic part of skepticism and abhor concepts such as racial "realism", gender roles and climate change denial and conspiracy theories are often being labeled as regressives themselves.
    That video is hard to watch. Using a cat for a gimmick? Cool. Giving that cat (and everyone else) a Super annoying voice? Bad.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Well, it is not as if SJWs care much about facts.

Pot meets kettle.

OP, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about. Speculating wildly around what is in fact a.....YouTube cat video.

Those are a bunch of right-wing types, where are the skeptics?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Those are a bunch of right-wing types, where are the skeptics?
    They left Youtube ages ago because they have real life careers, usually in scientific fields. Then there are some out there with little to no following like Martymer 81, or are being ostracized for refusing to peddle to the alt right bullshit like Thunderfoot.

What's left is a horde of alt right wankers circle jerking each other and profiting from the blind following they have built. Their opinions have nothing to do with empiricism and is exclusively about what they know their audience will lap up.

Yeah I used to watch alot of those channels, but I always thought they were fighting for their own form of social justice. I mean they whine and act like the people they critique but can't take it when people disgree with them. And if they want discuss their opinions with others it must always be a win lose debate, instead a meaningful exchange of ideas. Of course the other side just ignores the other and act like a victim and vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the lack of self awareness on the web. I see it all the time, and makes me cringe as I am a child of the internets.

Why is Tumblr, literally anything posted there taken so fucking seriously, while reddit/4chan can and do get taken as "joking", "not serious", etc in some discussions. Its weird. All 3 are essentially the same thing, but for some reason people take one of them way too seriously? An example is Overwatch and one character getting a police officer skin, I think 1 mini blog was like "fuck dis shit" and that was it

Facebook groups for Overwatch went fucking bananas that 5 people on tumblr had to audacity to fucking say anything and it went on for like 3 weeks.

Then of course we have other places were people will take fucking shit tier memes as factual assertions of political points..... my friend was on 9gag (a cess pool or normies) and holy crap. it was like the people posting there just took their first political course in community college.

Youtube is even worse because its not a fucking discussion with politics, its one guy who controls their narrative and disagreement is painted in the illogical extreme, thus making the youtuber look more reasonable by default. People for some reason nod their head and agree that the presenter is much more reasonable than the caricature of someone who disagrees with them.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-06-06 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Maybe people take it seriously because people are affected by this outrage culture?
    Everyone is outraged at everything. Just wish the normies would leave the internet so it can go back to what it should be.

sjws are retarded
    die-hard anti sjws are neckbeard beta males

it'd be nice if both groups could eventually realize they have no lives and start sucking less.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

So the author of the video is saying in a cartoon voice that skeptics have to hold certain beliefs to be skeptics?

I'm skeptical.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So the author of the video is saying in a cartoon voice that skeptics have to hold certain beliefs to be skeptics?

I'm skeptical.
    Not really. To be honest he has given a pretty good definition of what a Skeptic is supposed to be, it's exactly about not holding beliefs but applying the scientific method to formulating your opinions. The new wave of "skeptics" and what they evolved into have nothing to do with the historical definition of the label.

Skepticism refers to applying the scientific method to answer questions. If you want to change what the label means is an altogether different debate. If you are a conspiracy theorist you are a conspiracy theorist. That's a different thing.

You kinda missed the entire point.

15+ Year Old Account
    I watch the people who hate that's what it's even called and aren't that apart of it. I watched kraut and tea for social stuff, tl;dr for academic stuff, sargon for think pieces, naked ape for fun and anthony Brian logan to get a black conservative perspective on things. Armored skeptic and his whole crew are just terrible and offer no intellectual thought.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-06-06 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    People who could give a shit about upholding factual narratives,
    Surely you mean couldn't. If they could give a shit, then they at least have the capacity to care.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Surely you mean couldn't. If they could give a shit, then they at least have the capacity to care.
    Thanks for pointing that out

The modern left should realize that the alt right is a step forward from the theocratic republican. Nearly every social issue that was a hot topic with the Christian Right will no longer be issues