Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    I played WoW for several years and thought it was great, but eventually I stopped. Soon after GW2 released, so I started playing that (and have been since). But a couple years ago I went back to try WoW out for a bit during MoP, and it just felt terrible. I quested for a while and ran some dungeons and it just felt clunky, my character felt "floaty", and by god did the animations make the experience feel jarringly unresponsive.

I think a part of it might be what you get used to, or at least is more a matter of perception then objective fact.
    Floaty? That's really odd. GW2 characters hop around as they walk, so, if anything it should feel more grounded.
    I also don't get how the animations in wow are unresponsive when they clip over each other. Did you play melee? That might've been it. Before legion the auto attack animations and the animations for some strkes looked very "samey". It's not like that anymore. WoD revamped the models and Legion revamped the animations. You should try it again. It is very responsive.

On topic, i loved GW1, but GW2 felt so much less to me in the combat system. I imagine it got better, but i don't think the new trinity they wanted to make could or has worked. Taking out monks was a huge mistake. Basically i think GW2 tried too hard to re-invent the wheel they had already re-invented with GW1, but it didn't quite work. I always felt like Guild Wars was my home in MMO's and it got robbed of me by GW2.
    I really miss it and i wish they would make a GW3 that was what they originally said GW2 was gonna be: a GW1 in a persistant world. So, i'm not surprised GW2 is dieing a slow death unlike GW1, wich they killed. Karma i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    So, i'm not surprised GW2 is dieing a slow death unlike GW1, wich they killed. Karma i guess...
    Well everything dies a slow death. But anyway, certainly hyperbole to say it's dying.

GW2 reminds me of Sims because I'll play it religiously over a short period of time and then not playing it for ages. The game just doesn't feel like it's changing that frequently or getting anything to sink my teeth into. Sure I can pick up where I left off because there's been barely any changes.

I can play through the content updates in 2-3 hours because patches are usually just polishing/new features, fixing bugs and balancing instead of actual solid content and story progression. 1 episode for the story every 2-3 months is pretty pathetic.

It's a great game for rotation and playing short term and is a great example of "drop-in, drop-out" gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Anyone else have problems with account security with this game? That's why I quit playing. Haven't had a problem with any other game but this one. My account was compromised 3 times. I know at least one (possibly two) it was locked down because of some nonsense about people able to log into random people's accounts. It got locked for "crude language". I find it odd that this one game of all my years of gaming, is the one that just can't be kept secure. I think I'm pretty good with my passwords and where I am entering information for things. However I know with shit like the one I mentioned I have zero control over. That is why I don't play this game anymore. Last time it got locked I just said fuck it and walked away. I was tired of jumping through their hoops from shit security to regain control over something I payed for.
    Not at all. Why do you assume its the game.

They are pretty decent when it comes to security, part of why they dont allow addons. They just started allowing dps meters on the terms that the creators never go open source and are in communication with Anet.

They have a list of banned passwords. Not just common gimmie passwords but passwords related to compromised accounts and "weak" passwords

2FA is triggered when you try to play from a new device/group of ips/location.

The game supports a number of authenticators and authentication techniques like SMS.

And jumping through hoops to prove an account is yours after youve been locked out is signs of good security policies...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The fact that you're trying to equate "I won't even play if I don't get loot!" to "I enjoy improving my skills" only goes to show how insidious these systems really are.

Almost no one in the MMO community at large would be playing if not for loot. Hell, that's largely by their own admission most of the time. Not to mention that half the feedback given in most situations is, "Can we get through this by playing as little as possible?"
    I'm not equating anything to that, YOU are.

I'm telling you that all games are played for fun, whilst also always having some sort of end goal. You have yet to give an example of a game which people do "just for fun" where there isn't some form of reward.
    By your logic, nobody would be playing ANY games if not for the end goal being in place. You wanting that to ring true only for MMORPG-players is just asinine at best.

And "half the feedback" and "community at large" being people frequenting forums? You are aware that the MMO community "at large" are just busy playing the game, and doing so in a casual manner and only if they have fun doing so? Just look at WoD basically throwing rewards at people for minimum effort, showering everyone in epics and gold... Didn't stop players from not having fun and quitting en masse.

I play WoW because I have fun doing it. I wouldn't have played ANY game in my days if the games didn't have some sort of goal though because all of them HAD goals/rewards. MMORPG's satisfy my wish to have something long-term which can always be improved upon in theory, but I've started and stopped playing MMORPG's I didn't find to be fun despite them offering rewards I wanted.

Simple as that.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-06-07 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Floaty? That's really odd. GW2 characters hop around as they walk, so, if anything it should feel more grounded.
    I also don't get how the animations in wow are unresponsive when they clip over each other. Did you play melee? That might've been it. Before legion the auto attack animations and the animations for some strkes looked very "samey". It's not like that anymore. WoD revamped the models and Legion revamped the animations. You should try it again. It is very responsive.

On topic, i loved GW1, but GW2 felt so much less to me in the combat system. I imagine it got better, but i don't think the new trinity they wanted to make could or has worked. Taking out monks was a huge mistake. Basically i think GW2 tried too hard to re-invent the wheel they had already re-invented with GW1, but it didn't quite work. I always felt like Guild Wars was my home in MMO's and it got robbed of me by GW2.
    I really miss it and i wish they would make a GW3 that was what they originally said GW2 was gonna be: a GW1 in a persistant world. So, i'm not surprised GW2 is dieing a slow death unlike GW1, wich they killed. Karma i guess...
    To keep the WoW stuff short, I've seen legion footage and I'm not convinced. It just feels sub-par to me at this point (whether for objective reasons, or as a matter of personal perception).

Its funny you say that, because I really didn't like GW1.

As far as how well GW2's did in re-inventing the wheel goes, I would actually say they were quiet successful. The end result simply isn't everyone's cup of tea. But plenty of people do like it (not to say it's perfect, of course. And it did undergo many changes since launch.)

And GW2 is only dying a slow death in-so-far as nearly every MMO does, to include WoW. It's doing pretty well by most metrics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just coming back today after...four years of being gone.
    I bought the HoT package with a max level boost, not realizing the level cap never went up. My Mesmer is now halfway through chronomancer specialization and I have this max level boost just sitting here. What's a good melee solo class?

10+ Year Old Account
    imo condi warrior is rather nice, gear is rather expensive to acquire tho, viper set is a tad harder to attain, maybe a support-ish class like rev might do nice on you? if you wanna go "experimental" axe necro is rather fun in terms of burst dmg, sadly both rev and necro (specially strength necro) fall a bit behind in the meta, condi war is on top pretty much
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Power warrior is still decent as well. Condition warrior will be just a little bit better but for soloing, power war does just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks!
    Seems like warrior has a couple solid builds. I'll probably roll it tonight.
    Also, if anyone is on Dragonbrand, I'm LF guild

Deleted
    I tried coming back to this game now for more times than any other game...
    (I've been struggling getting myself to play the newest episode for about 2 weeks now; the motivation just isn't there)

I would really love to start working on a legendary weapon, but the guides available just don't tell me what i want to know (Where do i start?).

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Just when I was thinking of coming back to play as a filler game I read the thread and it's 90% of people shitting on the game. RIP.
    Don't believe everything that you read here. There are a lot of people that are still playing, and enjoying, the game. The initial release of HoT didn't go down that well but they have since redeemed themselves with the Living Story episodes.

Deleted
    No it's not. I always see crowds in LA, I always see people out there. HoT areas seem always well-populated.

Of course, once you convert to the True Faith and realize there is no god but Allah I mean WoW, your perception might shift considerably, right into DENIAL.

Deleted
    Guild wars 2 isn't falling off.
    Their model bussiness is very good and that keeps the player coming back for more, even if they f**k up in some areas.
    Thing is the content system is very well crafted that even if you did it before you can still come back and enjoy it.
    I remember dowing many times the temple of balthazar event where you would have to go from one edge of the map to the other ( diagonally) to be able to finish it. it felt really cool to see an army of players fighting for the same cause.
    What blizz did with leigon and legion invasions is a cheap knock off, of what gw2 managed to pull, but alas that is my opinion.
    Also with arenanet releasing their second expnasion at the ending of 2017- beginning of 2018 I hardlly doubt the population is gowing to get lower.

I see more players running around everywhere in gw2 than in WoW tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    I see more players running around everywhere in gw2 than in WoW tbh.
    This is some next level stupid
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    This is some next level stupid
    Except he's right, have you even played GW recently? There's still plenty of people playing, it's a buy to play game so there will always be people willing to play even if only for a few weeks at a time.

Deleted
    added to the fact that there's plenty of 'end game' content that sends you back to low level areas. Which is healthy imo. Keeps the world alive

This game wasn't DOA? Delusional much?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    This game wasn't DOA? Delusional much?
    Of course. It's actually a major crippling weight on the developers's finances, completely in the red. They are merely keeping it alive out of good will and because they believe in their failed product.

Not because it still brings in money and has an healthy community. Can't remember the last time content was introduced, let alone announced. It ded.