Anyone used the Netgear D7000?

Hey all im in the market for a new router after my current one seems to have hit the bucket after being purchased before cata came out.

My question is i was looking at the nighthawk D7000. Read a few reviews but I'd prefer to see what other fellow gamers say about it. What do you guys think?

Whatever router I get will probably need to be able to handle 2 PS4's connected as well as someone else in the household being on netflix at the same time.

Thanks if anyone can give any insight into this router!

I had one for about 18 months before it went bad. It simply gets too hot under heavy use and wears out.

I am currently using Netgears' R8000. It seems they learned from their previous design, since it is much better designed with cooling in mind.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2017-06-06 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    I had one for about 18 months before it went bad. It simply gets too hot under heavy use and wears out.

I am currently using Netgears' R8000. It seems they learned from their previous design, since it is much better designed with cooling in mind.
    Sadly I think this may be a tad bit out of my price range since im not looking to go over AUD $250

But thanks heaps for that bit of info. The heating thing may be an issue for Australian summer weather

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a better than average understanding of tcp/ip and networking the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X or Edgerouter lite are pretty great but you need to add wireless via an old router in access point mode or a dedicated access point such as the Unifi product range. I'd recommend one of Willie Howes or Crosstalk Solutions videos if you have trouble setting it up.

Keep in mind the ERX isn't suitable for faster connections. (I believe up to 300Mbps assuming you don't enable any of the CPU intensive features like packet inspection, QOS, and don't setup much more than default firewall rules.) If you have a slower connection such as 60mbps or less than feel free to enable all the features

The ER Lite has a bit more oomph (suitable for fiber connections) but keep in mind it don't have any switching hardware and you would need an external switch with sufficient amount of ports for your network unless you only plan to do wireless in which case you would be fine.

The above devices are very wallet friendly just keep in mind the above shortcomings and that depending on if you need wireless and if you don't already have something to deliver that it will likely throw you over the 250AUD budget.

MWAVE AU carries both units but keep in mind I didn't do any price comparison so you might find cheaper elsewhere.

I've had one for the past 4 years or so and it's served me very well. it's a pretty powerful unit, so any issues with load are more likely to come down to the limitations of your internet connection, not the router.

I've not had any issues with overheating, but I don't know what the temps are like where I live vs where you are. It does get over 37 Celsius at times in the summer, but I do also have AC.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-06-07 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    If you have a better than average understanding of tcp/ip and networking the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X or Edgerouter lite are pretty great but you need to add wireless via an old router in access point mode or a dedicated access point such as the Unifi product range. I'd recommend one of Willie Howes or Crosstalk Solutions videos if you have trouble setting it up.

Keep in mind the ERX isn't suitable for faster connections. (I believe up to 300Mbps assuming you don't enable any of the CPU intensive features like packet inspection, QOS, and don't setup much more than default firewall rules.) If you have a slower connection such as 60mbps or less than feel free to enable all the features

The ER Lite has a bit more oomph (suitable for fiber connections) but keep in mind it don't have any switching hardware and you would need an external switch with sufficient amount of ports for your network unless you only plan to do wireless in which case you would be fine.

The above devices are very wallet friendly just keep in mind the above shortcomings and that depending on if you need wireless and if you don't already have something to deliver that it will likely throw you over the 250AUD budget.

MWAVE AU carries both units but keep in mind I didn't do any price comparison so you might find cheaper elsewhere.
    Sadly i think the option of using an old router isn't possible since the only current router I have at the moment is the one that's 7ish years old and beginning to degrade.

Thanks alot though your idea gives me more options to choose from

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    I've had one for the past 4 years or so and it's served me very well. it's a pretty powerful unit, so any issues with load are more likely to come down to the limitations of your internet connection, not the router.

I've not had any issues with overheating, but I don't know what the temps are like where I live vs where you are. It does get over 37 Celsius at time in the summer, but I do also have AC.
    Yeah it can hit about the same temperatures here however sadly we don't have AC. If yours has held up ok for 4 years though thats seems like a very good sign in my opinion, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvolcos View Post
    Yeah it can hit about the same temperatures here however sadly we don't have AC. If yours has held up ok for 4 years though thats seems like a very good sign in my opinion, thanks!
    How/where you put it will also factor into things.

Stick it in a closet/cabinet some where without ventilation or on top of/next to other very hot devices and heat is likely to be more of an issue.

It might also help (in general, regardless of what you get) to mount it vertically on a wall somewhere. Heat flow should be better with a vertical mount. Most routers have slots on the bottom you can slot screws into in order to mount it on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    How/where you put it will also factor into things.

Stick it in a closet/cabinet some where without ventilation or on top of/next to other very hot devices and heat is likely to be more of an issue.

It might also help (in general, regardless of what you get) to mount it vertically on a wall somewhere. Heat flow should be better with a vertical mount. Most routers have slots on the bottom you can slot screws into in order to mount it on a wall.
    Yes I was hoping to mount it up on the wall, hopefully this solves the heating issue. Lets hope the router holds up speed wise thanks for the help