Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sam Harris, is that one of the moons in orbit around planet Shitlord on Youtube?

*Googles him*

Oh yeah, that's the one.
    what makes him a shitlord just so i know

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    But does not explain how it can be measured or how. Thus his philosophy is little more than "The way to be moral is to always be good!" which is ultimately nothing more than a bumper sticker slogan.

The argument otherwise is that Sam Harris hasn't even proposed the argument I am supposed to be against. Its nothing but muddied Consequentialism, I guess people such as himself are the ones whose infinite wisdom is supposed to be the arbiters in this framework. It is impossible not to be overcome with dread when reading lines like this: “The person who claims that he does not want to be better off,” Harris writes, “is either wrong about what he does, in fact, want (i.e, he doesn’t know what he’s missing), or he is lying, or he is not making sense.” His so-called philosophy is nothing more than a call for nanny statism and Scientisim.
    Maybe he does have terrible politics, I haven't followed any of that, just the science conversations.

If anyone knew how to measure cognition that would be a huge breakthrough. You're straight up wanting answers to how complex systems work, but before that can happen the tools have to catch up to the subject. At the very lower limit the tools need the same amount of computation and data as the system you want to model.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Maybe he does have terrible politics, I haven't followed any of that, just the science conversations.

If anyone knew how to measure cognition that would be a huge breakthrough. You're straight up wanting answers to how complex systems work, but before that can happen the tools have to catch up to the subject. At the very lower limit the tools need the same amount of computation and data as the system you want to model.
    If my morality is supposed to be dictated by this, I actually want it to be a morality that makes any degree of sense.

Ultimately what I find chilling about Sam Harris' supposed morality is that other people will be left to dictate what is moral. Ultimately, and I know I get this shit allot for my opposition to it, Harris' The Moral Landscape ends with it just being an endorsement of Experts telling us what we aught to want, think and behave. Who decides what is better off? Who is making these decisions and how they are measured is completely IMHO impossible to claim in some empirical scientific way. His morality seems more to just be an endorsement of his politics, and a rationalization for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Isn't Nietzsche a Nihilist instead of Atheist?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Not really.

We need a perfect definition of Well-being in order to even know what to aim for. We also need to know how this factors intergenerationally, over time, what is the actual way to precisely measure Well-being? Who is measuring it? How are measuring it? ect
    We don't need a perfect definition of Well-being for every decision.

Even an incomplete definition of Well-being would indicate that some alternatives are better and some are worse - even if we cannot compare all alternatives (in economic terms Pareto had one such idea a long time ago - but we can go further).

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    We don't need a perfect definition of Well-being for every decision.

Even an incomplete definition of Well-being would indicate that some alternatives are better and some are worse - even if we cannot compare all alternatives (in economic terms Pareto had one such idea a long time ago - but we can go further).
    Okay, we need A definition then, which Sam Harris never bothered to articulate beyond vague allusions to the low hanging fruit of generally obvious and very simple moral dilemma problems.

Its junk beyond the most simplistic of situations, and even the examples he gave are based on a lot of assumptions.

Ultimately what I'd ask is what does The Moral Landscape do with the Trolley Problem as one glaringly complex moral and ethical problem. Either Sam Harris isn't offering anything terribly original (I.E. Consequentialism and Utilitarianism) or he really bungled articulating it in the Moral Landscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

If my morality is supposed to be dictated by this, I actually want it to be a morality that makes any degree of sense.

Ultimately what I find chilling about Sam Harris' supposed morality is that other people will be left to dictate what is moral. Ultimately, and I know I get this shit allot for my opposition to it, Harris' The Moral Landscape ends with it just being an endorsement of Experts telling us what we aught to want, think and behave. Who decides what is better off? Who is making these decisions and how they are measured is completely IMHO impossible to claim in some empirical scientific way. His morality seems more to just be an endorsement of his politics, and a rationalization for it.
    Uncharacteristically, I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    what makes him a shitlord just so i know
    No he's just in orbit around the shitlord planet.

It goes like this:

Nazis -> White Nationalists -> Alt-right -> Shitlord -> people like Sam Harris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, is Sam Harris taught as a philosopher in school now? :s

To me Sam Harris is logical, rational and practical to a degree that most people are not. Everyone who thinks he is racist, bigoted etc I find to be intellectually lazy or incapable/unwilling to understand him.

I like Sam Harris a lot, but the idea of moral absolutes is ridiculous. Morality is subjective and up the individual. We simply negotiate those positions with each other to exist with one another. Sam asserts there's an objective, factual morality we can arrive at that all humans would agree on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Nihilist but it lead him to the concept of the overman/superman. Where each individual is responsible for their own meaning. (I personally find this more sophisticated than Sam Harris's objective morality.)

The person who I most agree with is Jordan Peterson. Morality is a vague ideal we all sort of agree on, but it is still up to the individual. He talks about ancient dominance hierarchies that have been around for hundreds of millions of years that have shaped our morality. But it's a process of Darwinism that lets different moralities win out over others perpetually.

It's why highly social animals have recognizable patterns of behavior that we often relate to our own morality (wolf packs, taking care of young, etc, protecting herd).

This leads me to believe morality will always be a squishy thing that has been around for so long we won't really be able to truly specify or wrap our heads around it. Whereas I think people like Sam think morality are only problems that only surface or are relevant to intelligent species (of our intelligence), but that's simply not true.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2017-06-07 at 07:57 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    So how much did you read? Just some conclusions on the internet? some real work of them?
    enough to get the idea from both of them and side with one, i dont like sam harris much and i agree more with das ubermench

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looq View Post
    To me Sam Harris is logical, rational and practical to a degree that most people are not. Everyone who thinks he is racist, bigoted etc I find to be intellectually lazy or incapable/unwilling to understand him.
    i wouldnt go anywhere close to calling him those things but i just dont like him tbh

Deleted
    Personaly I better recognize in Nietzsche.
    Last edited by mmocff6a2f8211; 2017-08-02 at 09:31 AM.