Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    totally ignore them and carry on playing ranked - u get better with progression until you hit a personal cap, depending on your style of play.

One can always do more research. Doesn't matter if you're top or bottom. Keep playing ranked. You end up where you belong and the people you play with equally so. I mean, if you want to play competitive then you'll sooner or later go and play it. If you do good, no one will complain, if you do bad, "don't play the ranked again, plz!". It has been said before but your team mates are all in bronze together and more or less equal, what they say most likely apply to them as well now and then. Just keep playing, what was said was blunt but not really rude or good advice.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    2. "Pick Hero x because he is better in this comp" is like the worst advice you can give because if someone picks e.g. Junkrat. He usually knows how to play Junkrat. Oke.. maybe Soldier might be a bit better in the comp BUT.. most Junkrat players are usually bad with hitscan and maybe they are really awesome Junkrats. So I'd rather take an awesome Junkrat who is motivated to give his best, than convincing him to play a Hero he doesn't like/know. Maybe he could get 2-3 kills as Junkrat but will take 5 minutes to take down a Phara as Soldier.
    Even after her changes some people won't let you play Symmetra, despite being able to easily shit on half the enemy team when playing in Platinum due to aforementioned inability to hit a wall from other "aim-required" heros. Trouble is team morale is such an important factor in multiplayer PvP that I often daren't stick with her in case pissy team mates refuse to properly try to win.

- - - Updated - - -

tl;dr
    telling someone not to play comp is rude. Try to learn 3-4 heroes very good to be able to adapt to the Situation. The better you get, the higher your rating will be and the blames will get less.
    As a result of the above, I've spent hours in QP on Reaper and Zarya to expand my roster of "heros' I've got a little esperience with" (Winston, Symmetra and Pharah) so I'm not stuck in Comp playing what my team tells me I should be playing with 0 idea of how to play it properly.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-06-08 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    maybe they are really awesome Junkrats.
    No, they are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Even after her changes people won't let you play Symmetra, despite being able to easily shit on half the enemy team when playing in Platinum due to aforementioned inability to hit a wall from other "aim-required" heros.
    A squirrel with half a brain can counter attack Symmetra though. It's never a good pick. I guess it's possible it might work in Plat where people go melee range even if absolutely not necessary.

The whole point of rating is playing with people around your own skill level. It was just rude, no reason to stop playing competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    A squirrel with half a brain can counter attack Symmetra though. It's never a good pick. I guess it's possible it might work in Plat where people go melee range even if absolutely not necessary.
    I guess most people in Platinum fare worse than a squirrel with half a brain. I mean, I don't disagree with you; and sometimes as a pick she fails hard in the face of a half-competent Mcree or Pharah. Other times you charge up melting their Zenyatta, then burn through the Mercy, Genji and Hanzo before Reinhardt even turns around...

EDIT: To be fair I've never seen high Platinum games and I wouldn't be surprised if by that stage she fails hard a lot more often. But around 2500-2600 SR...
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

At low ratings Symmetra is a very good pick. She is a god there. People don't aim well and often fights go on forever with Symmetra rampaging through the entire team. Also, people might be at low rating because of bad aim to begin with, so Symmetra might help them climb out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    At low ratings Symmetra is a very good pick. She is a god there. People don't aim well and often fights go on forever with Symmetra rampaging through the entire team. Also, people might be at low rating because of bad aim to begin with, so Symmetra might help them climb out of there.
    AS one of those players, I (used to) freely admit to my team that I had potato aim so if it wasn't Symmetra I'd be playing Winston. If they insist I switch to something that requires aim they can't be too surprised if I can't hit shit

I once saw a guide from a grandmaster that was like "If you want to rank up, pick the hero you love and be awesome with it. Sometimes the only way to rank up is muting the voice and chat after entering the game" was it ProLikeChro? Not Sure, but it was a Junkrat-Main.

No, they are not.

Are you this toxic ingame, too? Jk.. yes they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Henock View Post
    During the game we were tied and losing the 3rd round of king of the hill. During the third round someone in the chat complained that nothing was dying. I was playing Soldier 76 and instantly everyone in the group started blaming me.
    This is your fault in part. Unless you are a top 500 player, you're probably not going to be able to land enough shots to take out people through 2 heals, being shot at yourself and tanks in front of them. Your job as soldier is to finish people with your rocket, destroy shields and just generally be a good sustain dps. Your other dps should be filling the holes that you cannot fill. For example if i'm on soldier i'll be harassing the roadhog / dva / rein and killing pharah if shes around. You, on tracer, should be harassing the healers. I cannot do both, few people can - if any.

Additionally damage isn't just the job of DPS. If you had a roadhog he should be super high on dmg done and should be consistantly deleting their dps / healers.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to the question of "Why is my team not able to kill anyone?" including:

- Your team isn't focusing fire. It is trivial for an ana or mercy to spot who you're shooting and outheal you.

- Your team is playing trash heroes, or heroes they are trash on. If you're playing Hanzo Genji into Mercy Pharah and you both suck, you're probably gonna find yourself getting farmed. Some people just suck dick at certain heroes. I got master as soldier, widow, pharah and hanzo but it would take me a solid 30 seconds to kill a Lucio on my Tracer.

- Your team isn't putting out pressure (breaking shields, constantly shooting tanks and depleting DVAs defense matrix). This one is suprising to me but for some reason low tier players just don't shoot shields. It takes like 5 seconds to break a reinhard shield if both soldier and roadhog shoot at it. When its down your team has almost instantly won the fight. The same goes for winstons shield, its like 900 hp and winston is the side of a barn in terms of how easy he is to hit. You should be shooting shields and tanks constantly to force healers to heal them rather than the dps or healers that you want to explode with a few headshots and a helix rocket.

- Your heroes just suck for the moment. Soldier 76 is almost always good, but if the whole team is stacked up on the point, consider going pharah or junkrat and just deleting them all with explosions.

- - - Updated - - -

I once saw a guide from a grandmaster that was like "If you want to rank up, pick the hero you love and be awesome with it. Sometimes the only way to rank up is muting the voice and chat after entering the game" was it ProLikeChro? Not Sure, but it was a Junkrat-Main.
    Truth. Got Grandmaster in HoTS, 2400 in RBGs and 3800 / Master in Overwatch with chat muted. Before that I was stuck in 'elo hell' spending most of my time telling people what to do. You're not gonna improve another player fundamentally mid game. Even if it doesn't immediately devolve into an argument, it will still take practice from that player to break the bad habit they had before. You're much, much better off just focusing on your own play, where your team is and their ultimate charge and using commands to go in and pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I had the 'elo hell' problem since season 1 and couldn't get above silver. I loved to play ana (obviously not from the beginning) but everyone was like "omg, dont pick ana, she doesnt heal much, because you cant hit every shot. Play mercy or lucio" But when I started ignoring them (even the people in my teamspeak) I just played ana every round and got better and better and after just two weeks only playing her I could get to gold, nearly plat. It was painful at the beginning because I really couldn't hit anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Henock View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was playing competitive last night and I was told that I should not queue in competitive. I currently play bronze and I stand at 1286 ranking. I'm very aware that this is not a great rank. I frankly don't really care what my rank is as long as I know where stack up against everyone else. I don't take those kinds of things to heart.

During the game we were tied and losing the 3rd round of king of the hill. During the third round someone in the chat complained that nothing was dying. I was playing Soldier 76 and instantly everyone in the group started blaming me. I actually don't have a problem with being called out or even smack talked to. (Smack talk and pettiness fuels online gaming lol) What I did have a problem with was someone in the group telling me that I should not queue into competitive until "I have done my research". Keep in mind I do make good attempts at watching YouTube videos and reading tutorials. He went on saying that it isn't fair to the other players.

I'm wondering, is what he's saying reasonable? Or is he being rude? Any advice would be great.
    My recommendation is to not queue for competitive until you can consistently perform in QP with a handful of heroes or are just so good with one, can carry.

BUT that being said, you're placed. You're bronze. You're being placed with people of similar skill level or should be. I haven't seen a bronze nor silver myself since playing starting this game. Briefly was gold after one placement period, but even then just mostly played with Plats and Diamonds before becoming Diamond myself.

Chances are you simply don't put in enough time to get better. Those other guys? Likely spend a lot of said time bitching rather than improving themselves hence why they're in Bronze Hell.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the 'elo hell' problem since season 1 and couldn't get above silver. I loved to play ana (obviously not from the beginning) but everyone was like "omg, dont pick ana, she doesnt heal much, because you cant hit every shot. Play mercy or lucio" But when I started ignoring them (even the people in my teamspeak) I just played ana every round and got better and better and after just two weeks only playing her I could get to gold, nearly plat. It was painful at the beginning because I really couldn't hit anything.
    Lmao, Ana is like the "meta" right now. She's ridiculously strong if you've got someone that can benefit significantly from her boost. Not to mention her sleep and anti-heal is super clutch and shutdown the enemy team during critical moments when used right. Yes, she does have a higher skill ceiling though.

- - - Updated - - -

AS one of those players, I (used to) freely admit to my team that I had potato aim so if it wasn't Symmetra I'd be playing Winston. If they insist I switch to something that requires aim they can't be too surprised if I can't hit shit
    No aim, no brain? Must be a Winston main!

...or so the common saying goes.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-06-08 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Lmao, Ana is like the "meta" right now. She's ridiculously strong if you've got someone that can benefit significantly from her boost. Not to mention her sleep and anti-heal is super clutch and shutdown the enemy team during critical moments when used right.
    I know she is and I love her for this, but most players in silver and bronze (including me at the beginning) cant hit with her. If you have a Phara that flies around a bit she won't get any heal from ana. Most people 'down there' have a "If I'm not good with her, the hero must be shit" mentality.

The only problem I have with her is, I tend to heal not enough, but that's something that can be fixed.

I know she is and I love her for this, but most players in silver and bronze (including me at the beginning) cant hit with her. If you have a Phara that flies around a bit she won't get any heal from ana. Most people 'down there' have a "If I'm not good with her, the hero must be shit" mentality.

The only problem I have with her is, I tend to heal not enough, but that's something that can be fixed.
    Yeah I feel you on that one. I like playing her too but I tend to get a DPS orientated mindset with her. I think namely because I only use her in QP right now and a lot of people just don't do their friggin' jabs as damage picks, even hit-scan. So I take it upon myself to deal with the enemy Pharah, snipers, Tracer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    No aim, no brain? Must be a Winston main!

...or so the common saying goes.
    I have heard that more than once on my journey

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that these players are at the same rating you are. Most of them look outwards and blame others instead or focusing on improving.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but don't join voice and ignore chat until gold. The games at low ranks are so chaotic, just focus on playing your best hero and think about positioning and grouping up. You don't need the toxicity from voice to do this.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Are you this toxic ingame, too? Jk.. yes they are!
    Not really, though I do often counter toxicity with more toxicity even though it's not exactly the most optimal answer.

Doesn't change the fact that I so far havent seen a single "awesome junkrat".

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have heard that more than once on my journey
    To be fair, winston might have low mechanical skill but he requires a lot of game sense and knowledge to do well.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    To be fair, winston might have low mechanical skill but he requires a lot of game sense and knowledge to do well.
    Honestly; you kinda need to be landing your leaps ontop of people to be properly effective (maybe I'm awful but most Hanzo can kill me before I kill them if I don't by scattershotting the floor and finishing with another shot) and that takes a fair amount of judgement and aim to do properly. At least *I* think it does, I'm surely better players would scoff. But ye, chasing people down n stuff is childsplay.

Deleted
    Well if they get aggravated enough to say something like that, then it's probably them who shouldn't quee it.

I mean really; do yourself a favor, it's not healthy to be pissed off cause of video-games.