Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I bet you really hate instagram and 90% of the games from Japan then.
    You would be correct in that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    You would be correct in that assumption.
    That gets to a greater point, I think. WoW is a diverse game. There are people into anime, pop culture, Japanese development and things like that, and then there are other large subsets that find these things obscene or offensive. It is actually impossible to define a lot of pop culture as either sexist or indeed as not sexist. That's how I feel about the "slutmogs." On one hand, it's sexist to have all women characters running around in bikinis and all men in full battle regalia. On the other hand, it's even MORE sexist to tell women to cover up because it distracts you.

Honestly, the most sexist things about "slutmogs" are the classification and the verbiage used to describe them. If they weren't labeled as such, there wouldn't be as much of an issue. The label is most certainly sexist, and intentionally.

In the end, I'm for more freedom, not less, so I think characters should have a wide array to choose from and if most players choose to be females in bikinis, well that's capitalism.

On one hand, it's sexist to have all women characters running around in bikinis and all men in full battle regalia. On the other hand, it's even MORE sexist to tell women to cover up because it distracts you.
    This is a pretty common fallacy in the discussion of sexism in fiction. Yes, it's sexist to tell a woman to "cover up." No, it is not at all sexist to point out the objectification and misogyny in female characters wearing plate-kinis that look like proper armor on men. There're two reasons for this. The first falls on the company: it was an intentional and blatantly sexist design decision to give the same items such different appearances on men and women. The second is on the players: you're ascribing agency to a fictional entity when you say you're telling a woman to cover up. The character didn't choose to dress that way, the person behind the keyboard chose to dress it.

It is anecdotal evidence at best, but in the nineteen years of playing MMOs I have under my belt, I have met exactly one woman who enjoys platekinis and other absurdly skimpy armor, and she's a lesbian who also acknowledges that they're a systemic symptom of the raging misogyny of male geek culture.

Its silly that people complain about skimpy armor in a world where you can imbue objects with magic. Distracting someone with your sex appeal and being more agile while having your armor buffed with magic is going to be alot better than some random guy with a full plate set.

This is a pretty common fallacy in the discussion of sexism in fiction. Yes, it's sexist to tell a woman to "cover up." No, it is not at all sexist to point out the objectification and misogyny in female characters wearing plate-kinis that look like proper armor on men. There're two reasons for this. The first falls on the company: it was an intentional and blatantly sexist design decision to give the same items such different appearances on men and women. The second is on the players: you're ascribing agency to a fictional entity when you say you're telling a woman to cover up. The character didn't choose to dress that way, the person behind the keyboard chose to dress it.

It is anecdotal evidence at best, but in the nineteen years of playing MMOs I have under my belt, I have met exactly one woman who enjoys platekinis and other absurdly skimpy armor, and she's a lesbian who also acknowledges that they're a systemic symptom of the raging misogyny of male geek culture.
    And yet the had and have half naked men in game as well. All my female friends in wow have had platekinis while only one male friend had a "slutset".
    Last edited by frogger237; 2017-06-08 at 04:03 PM.

Deleted
    That gets to a greater point, I think. WoW is a diverse game. There are people into anime, pop culture, Japanese development and things like that, and then there are other large subsets that find these things obscene or offensive. It is actually impossible to define a lot of pop culture as either sexist or indeed as not sexist. That's how I feel about the "slutmogs." On one hand, it's sexist to have all women characters running around in bikinis and all men in full battle regalia. On the other hand, it's even MORE sexist to tell women to cover up because it distracts you.

Honestly, the most sexist things about "slutmogs" are the classification and the verbiage used to describe them. If they weren't labeled as such, there wouldn't be as much of an issue. The label is most certainly sexist, and intentionally.

In the end, I'm for more freedom, not less, so I think characters should have a wide array to choose from and if most players choose to be females in bikinis, well that's capitalism.
    Well, then please make more male slutmogs to compensate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Its silly that people complain about skimpy armor in a world where you can imbue objects with magic. Distracting someone with your sex appeal and being more agile while having your armor buffed with magic is going to be alot better than some random guy with a full plate set.
    Then why do we have different armour types with different protection ratings at all? oO

If every protection comes from magic, then it's stupid to have cumbersome gear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Well, then please make more male slutmogs to compensate.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why do we have different armour types with different protection ratings at all? oO

If every protection comes from magic, then it's stupid to have cumbersome gear at all.
    You could have plate that makes you more agile instead of more protection or plate that gives you even more defence. Think of it like rock paper scissors.

I mean a full plate set without any magic would be completely useless against a mage and the guy wearing it would be dead even before he got 10 feet from the mage.

In a world with magic, covering up isnt always the sensible thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basicly, cuz America.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    Gladiators are just actors to entertain public. They aren't trained for war, crusade or whatever. They raised and trained exclusively for arena where they expected to get injured a lot. That's why they cover head and crotch - one hit and you dead. Right hand also - one hit and you can't fight and entertain public. Everything else do not lead to instadeath usually. So legs torso and left hand isn't armored. Because it's f.cking SHOW not war.
    You have to study hystory...

Gladiatus was born as a form of funeral honor for Roman nobles. Wasnt Wrestling.
    Gladiatots was mostly prisoners of war, slave, criminals that fight to the death. They was enslave and forced to perform in the Arenas. The trainer (called Lanista) was who rent the gladiators for the munera or the ludi. If the gladiators died, the Lanista was refound for his lost of his future income.

Yes was a show, but If you loose you die. There was different kind of gladiators... the armor type was based what kind of gladiator and kind of weapon you use.

Fun fact, the famous armor "Subligar" (sexiest pants from Final Fantasy XI), cames from the Subligaculum, the shorts used by Gladiators.

Bedise that... dont mantion the fact that a spear in the chest is a instadeath...
    Greeks and romans soldiers use to have torso, legs and arms naked. Only the high ranked soldiers have bronze torso and legs protection... sometimes just one legs or one arms. The most importat piece of armor was the helmet and the shield. And that was since the ancient creeks wars.
    The rest of the body was covered with a short tunic.

https://giornalebibliotalamona.files...tofanepelo.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ouvre_G152.jpg
    http://www.comune.jesi.an.it/conti/p...DA/soldati.gif
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

The same armor being a full chestplate on a male character and a bikini on a female character is really ridiculous. Soooo many dudes out here protecting their god-given right to get all horned up by their video game character. That's all well and good, but why not include male slutmogs if that's what you're going for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's 2017. If you think that's weird - YOU are weird.

I think you mean You're

Every person I know ingame and has slutmogs, also has some clear mental problems. These people are usually very creepy and breath heavily when women enter Team Speak.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Every person I know ingame and has slutmogs, also has some clear mental problems. These people are usually very creepy and breath heavily when women enter Team Speak.

<-- no mental problems

my guild has 3 woman in it, 1 is single, 1 is guild leader, i love my sexy mogs *but i also have regular ones*, and i don't breath heavy around them in discord.....they are friends..... so there now you know a person who isn't a creep!

also all 3 of these woman have what you call slutmogs..... i think woman like them more then you think they do.....

I usually have a few skimpy plate/leather Tmogs that I pull out to use when I'm in the mood because I like them, they remind me of some of the fantasy novel covers and comic book covers I saw as a kid, and plus it reminds me of the idea of Berserkers, who by legend, were barely dressed maniacs who used their nakedness as a sign of badassery and craziness as well as an intimidation tactic. Whether any of it is true or not, well, probably not, but it tickles me nonetheless. I dunno about anyone else, but I'd be a hell of a lot more afraid of the barely dressed, foaming at the mouth warrior who's chopping down foes left and right while they take measly pokes at that juggernaut of pain then I would be of the stiff and barely moving tin can knights.

As for clothie skimpy Tmogs, I use them too, it's all about what the overall look and feel I want is. My BE Warlock tends to wear somewhat revealing things, as she's on a RP server and her RP character is one who deals in and trades secrets, sometimes using her looks; often passing herself off as a dumb pretty thing to escape detection and also to gain entry into places with people of power.

Outside of a few people throwing a fit and leaving group when one of my skimpily dressed tanks zoned in, I've never had any issues with people judging me for how my character is dressed, as it is a character in a fantasy game afterall, and I figure those who did throw a hissy and left did myself and the rest of the group a favor and made our run that much smoother. People in the guilds I've been in over the years have never commented on anything my characters have worn, be it skimpy or not, in anything less than positive words if they bothered to comment at all.

I honestly don't care that people are against my Tmogs or other people's, they don't have to wear it, and as for them trying to tell me how to "dress" my character, well, they can do that when I'm allowed to dress theirs.

And I too would love to see some updated textures/texture reseating of the older stuff, it doesn't have to be super great but just some stuff a WoW team artist could neaten up in their free time in between other projects. It would be nice if that happened, but I doubt it highly.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now you've met another one, and I am straight, been playing MMOs for 13+ years, and I admit to there being plenty of sexism in gaming and gaming culture, but it's kind of a moot point when there's plenty of non plate-kini gear in WoW, we're not talking about Tera, or other games like it, where pretty much every armor looks like a sexy Halloween version of true armor. There's room for both, and I posit there should be more skimpy stuff for men too. It should be about choice, and why should I have to limit my choice because someone thinks it's sexist for me to take advantage of older gear looks?

Also, it's obvious you've never played ff14, SWTOR, or Wildstar, in all my guilds/FCs in those games, the ones with the skimpiest dressed characters are the women, whether the character is female or not, whether they are straight or not, and ESPECIALLY in FF14 is this true, hell that game almost makes me feel prudish.
    Last edited by undeadmoon; 2017-06-09 at 03:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind skimpy outfits for characters, if it's your thing and it's the art team thing why not.

The problem i have (currently play female NE Demon Hunter) is that if i want to transmog there are really few tops that don't show full cleavage up to the navel. I can rarely put anything for chest that actually fit the rest of the mog. DH being new class there's really few stuff to mog from considering i don't have access to any class sets from previous expac and the few stuff from old expac are usually not complete recollored rogue/druid/monk sets.

I prefer to play female characters mostly because the animations are usually more fluid (for me) that brute strength male models. Female characters are smaller too and i prefer small characters. And i prefer to ear female voice than male voices.
    So yea i refuse to play male night elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    <-- no mental problems

my guild has 3 woman in it, 1 is single, 1 is guild leader, i love my sexy mogs *but i also have regular ones*, and i don't breath heavy around them in discord.....they are friends..... so there now you know a person who isn't a creep!

also all 3 of these woman have what you call slutmogs..... i think woman like them more then you think they do.....
    Creeps outnumber you. Had one guy tell me that his reason for slutmogs is the sexy ass of his nightelf when she jumps.

I find it disturbing to jerk off to WoW models.