Poll: Are most professors actually progressives?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is academia really progressive or are most professors just phony mainstream liberals?

Please share your thoughts. According to your experiences or research, have most of your professors been true progressives like Bernie Sanders, or just generally oblivious bourgeois identity-liberals who probably voted for Hillary in the primaries?

it is not progressive, it is regressive and anti-intellectual.

at least, that seems to be what it has become, with people like bill nye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy! Let me go grab my lube and form a circle to make it convenient for everyone else.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    This is gonna be amusing

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it is not progressive, it is regressive and anti-intellectual.

at least, that seems to be what it has become, with people like bill nye.
    I agree, Nye is a pseudo-intellectual reductionist. People like him make science look like a cult - I understand that decades of fighting conservatives can be very draining, but it's no excuse to jump to the other extreme. Mainstream liberals have been fighting conservatives for so long that psychologically they might have become their mirror image.

My lecturers were all physicists and mathematicians.

I mean, they wanted physics and mathematics to progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangra View Post
    Please share your thoughts. According to your experiences or research, have most of your professors been true progressives like Bernie Sanders, or just generally oblivious bourgeois identity-liberals who probably voted for Hillary in the primaries?
    I think if you load that question any more it'll turn into a turducken.

P.S. I feel like you don't know what the word "progressive" means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Studies have shown that the more educated you are, the more liberal or left wing you are. It serves to reason than that some of the most educated people also have a majority of liberals.

Deleted
    I mean, I went to business and economics school...

They'll make sure you don't leave until you put down gender and religion as Capitalism

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    Studies have shown that the more educated you are, the more liberal or left wing you are. It serves to reason than that some of the most educated people also have a majority of liberals.
    I agree, but is this tendency actually enough to spark a full-blown sociopolitical intellect? Or does it just create liberal cheerleaders who never step on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I mean, I went to business and economics school...

They'll make sure you don't leave until you put down gender and religion as Capitalism
    Yeah after getting a BS in Econ I felt like I needed a long bath to wash all the disgusting pseudoscience and corporate propaganda off.
    Last edited by Tangra; 2017-06-09 at 07:53 AM.

Its almost like the very few stupid professors acting like liberal turds aren't representative of the hundreds of thousands around the country.

In my experience, the teachers (professors and Ph.D students) I had while studying for M.SC were progressive. I do, however, feel that it is partly because the research field focuses on Internet and games.

Most of my professors did not discuss their political views, but there was a general admiration for British Parliamentarism (English major). I suppose that counts as progressive in Eastern Europe.

Deleted
    Uh uh, never mind we actually did have a progressive professor. He was very adamant about minorities, because they make easy targets for products and services; as well as virtue signaling that can gain you a lot of good PR.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Usually was dependent on what they taught I found. Many of the Science/Math teachers I know are fairly centrist, they lean slightly left or right but none really far either way. Whereas Business/Economics teachers mostly lent Right some pretty far right and the Drama/Music/Literature Teachers mostly lent Further left, so very far left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, heck. I usually don't agree with Tennisace, what does that make me?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Of the tens of professors I've had, there weren't really any that were particularly political. I had a Sociology prof who was in all likelihood an actual progressive. She was also very data and research-driven, but it's been years so I don't remember much beyond that. I also had a Psychology prof make a joke in a test question about the Dick Cheney hunting incident (about a week after it happened), but it was more likely relevant topical humor than an indication of his politics.

I agree, Nye is a pseudo-intellectual reductionist. People like him make science look like a cult - I understand that decades of fighting conservatives can be very draining, but it's no excuse to jump to the other extreme. Mainstream liberals have been fighting conservatives for so long that psychologically they might have become their mirror image.
    What's so extreme about him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Well, heck. I usually don't agree with Tennisace, what does that make me?
    Sane.

/10chars.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

hmm let me think... oh you are talking about the states. Sorry don't care. we don't live in a two party system, we get a little more leeway with choices. And last but not least, i study informatics, nobody cares about politics at least not in the open.

Define progressive?

Don't get me wrong, the LibArts shitfests that make an ass of themselves and teach gender studies and performative dance and transgender turtles studies, they're probably 'progressive' but I think most professors probably teach something useful like maths and they probably don't have time to really give a shit beyond "sure gays are okay".
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.