Thread: Explosive Affix

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrotosTheTank View Post
    You're coming off as if I dislike anything "difficult". Feel free to stop, I always top damage on the orbs, top interrupts in groups, and know how to do more than just tank. Tab targetting is indeed doable now and it's still not trivial, it's something you have to pay attention to, particularly in large groups, but not a needlessly shit, it works well now imo.
    I'm sure you're the very best this game has to offer, anything less would be unacceptable. Difference is that most of us don't cry on MMO about it

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsoga View Post
    At least you're not a monk - they are the least represented among tanks, healers, AND DPS for almost every affixes.
    Which does not mean that the class/spec would be bad for m+ or the affix, but it could simply mean that their overall distribution is very low. The really interesting number would be this chart vs. a chart where all (or all failed) runs were included, but since this data is not tracked this is not available. Only then you could calculate an individual success chance per spec or class.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Which does not mean that the class/spec would be bad for m+ or the affix, but it could simply mean that their overall distribution is very low. The really interesting number would be this chart vs. a chart where all (or all failed) runs were included, but since this data is not tracked this is not available. Only then you could calculate an individual success chance per spec or class.
    I actually really like MW for healers. Unfortunately so few play monk that they're rare to come across. If nothing else, it's a nice change from the druid/priest/pally healers that are ubiquitous. I'm so very tired of hearing that DHT boss' dialogue about the druid artifact, I can't imagine what it's like to actually play the class.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    I actually really like MW for healers. Unfortunately so few play monk that they're rare to come across. If nothing else, it's a nice change from the druid/priest/pally healers that are ubiquitous. I'm so very tired of hearing that DHT boss' dialogue about the druid artifact, I can't imagine what it's like to actually play the class.
    MW is bad for high keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobovshik View Post
    MW is bad for high keys.
    I haven't gone past 14 and generally run 10-12, so that doesn't bother me.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Emancptr View Post
    Soak the purple swirls that come out of the boss as he's spawning adds (think Krosus). They do damage when you soak them though so be aware.
    Been playing since Legion start and had no idea you could soak them. (i'm a Healer)

Where do you learn this kind of info?

It's in the dungeon journal IIRC.

Bonus for soaking the swirls; they made adds hit way harder in 7.2, changed the adds so they can't be stunned sometime after 7.2 making them truck the tank on 17+ tyrannicals. Add in the Dark Slash that happens during that time and it's a world of pain. Bonus points for spawning less Explosive Orbs, less necrotic stacks and other nasty affix effects
    Last edited by Squishei; 2017-06-10 at 05:30 PM.

The amount of people who doesnt bother reading dungeon journals never stop amazing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Korban View Post
    Been playing since Legion start and had no idea you could soak them. (i'm a Healer)

Where do you learn this kind of info?
    By actually getting to a dungeon/affix combo where it matters. Nobody notices/cares about the adds because they do almost nothing sub Mythic +18 or higher.

As soon as you run into Tyrannical Necrotic or Tyrannical Explosive Maw at +20 or higher you notice that the adds are a problem. Then it's a matter of finding a solution for that problem (sometimes it's Dungeon Journal and other times it's just experience/awareness).

Most people just casually run the dungeons half paying attention to things going on. And if something out of the ordinary happens they don't give it a second thought. Anytime I notice something out of the ordinary I try to make a mental note. Then, the next time I'm in the dungeon i'll try to replicate what happened (because I don't always know what was causing it).

Another example (this was fixed in 7.2) is the last boss of Maw of Souls (Helya). Her Destructor Tentacles (tentacle that spawns in the boat, not on the side) used to only spawn near players/pets. This meant that if your players were all at the very front of the boat you could guarantee the Destructor Tentacle spawn in that position. Which was incredibly useful in maximizing cleave.

This affix is actually a DPS increase for many specs. You can tab to them now and anyone with some kind of on-kill bonus/effect that can 1-shot them gets a huge boost from it.

I'm guessing their health will get increased by 2-5x at some point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    This affix is actually a DPS increase for many specs. You can tab to them now and anyone with some kind of on-kill bonus/effect that can 1-shot them gets a huge boost from it.

Just buff the health and make them get hit by aoe..

Right now the affix is not hard at all but its incredibly tedious.. only time its even a challenge is on an overpull and mobs have swamped hidden orbs

Yeah, there's a lot of terrible ideas floating around in M+, but this is up there. The health does go up at higher keys, so if you're finding it too easy to deal with the affix you might be slumming it in easy content. And it already punishes groups that don't pay attention to it, so upping the health is just going to make it harder for the groups that can manage it.

Double health means you'd need two hits on it. Some classes already have issues with exclusively ST abilities. Five times the health would basically mean 3/5 of the group switches to every bomb or it explodes.

Yeah, there's a lot of terrible ideas floating around in M+, but this is up there. The health does go up at higher keys, so if you're finding it too easy to deal with the affix you might be slumming it in easy content. And it already punishes groups that don't pay attention to it, so upping the health is just going to make it harder for the groups that can manage it.

Double health means you'd need two hits on it. Some classes already have issues with exclusively ST abilities. Five times the health would basically mean 3/5 of the group switches to every bomb or it explodes.
    You accuse me of slumming it in easy content, yet you don't seem to understand how much damage people put out who don't suck. At 10 they have like sub 200k HP, at 15 they have like 300k, and at 23 they still have under 600k. My non-crit CC hit is > 600k, expected is > 1.2 million.

I don't know what world you live in where you think needing less than half of someone's single GCD to kill a thing is "tuned properly" and where 1.5 million HP would require 3/5 of the group to switch to something when you have 10 seconds to kill that thing. You do realize that's like the HP of a regular world mob that people 1-2 shot right? Most of the affixes require more effort even than these would at 500%, and they'd still give people constant kill procs, which other affixes don't.

You need to play with better people. You have a very large misunderstanding of just how much damage people can do, especially if you're talking about high keys where people don't suck.

You accuse me of slumming it in easy content, yet you don't seem to understand how much damage people put out who don't suck. At 10 they have like sub 200k HP, at 15 they have like 300k, and at 23 they still have under 600k. My non-crit CC hit is > 600k, expected is > 1.2 million.

I don't know what world you live in where you think needing less than half of someone's single GCD to kill a thing is "tuned properly" and where 1.5 million HP would require 3/5 of the group to switch to something when you have 10 seconds to kill that thing. You do realize that's like the HP of a regular world mob that people 1-2 shot right? Most of the affixes require more effort even than these would at 500%, and they'd still give people constant kill procs, which other affixes don't.

You need to play with better people. You have a very large misunderstanding of just how much damage people can do, especially if you're talking about high keys where people don't suck.
    The point of the affix is not to add exploding target dummies, but to force the group to have awareness of the surrounding environment and reasonably sized pulls and not to blindly AoE everything down. The increasing health of the globes are just a minor inconvenience, but obviously there is a threshold where it begins to be more punishing where a single non crit is no longer enough to kill it. But the major challenge is to be priorizing the globes and for many specs managing ressources or procs to be able to deal with the globes, lowering their overall damage output.

I was doing m+ 12-14's and I could 1 shot these with bloodthirsts and raging blows... In regards to it punishing groups that don't pay attention to it; that is the point. You are probably playing with shitty players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    my only problem with bolstering is that they cannot be killed with AoE abilities when you are targeting them

For example: on my prot warrior, if I want to kill the orb and have CD on shield slam and target the orb and press revenge, it do no damage to it

It's fine they don't die from random AoE but they should at least die from AOE ability when you are targeting them
    That's weird,as blood my heart strike does damage to the orbs,even if I target another mob the cleave can damage the orb

its kinda unfair if it gives kill procs, i cant even use MFD on it

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    That's weird,as blood my heart strike does damage to the orbs,even if I target another mob the cleave can damage the orb
    Yes, it's pretty unpredictable what hits them and what not. Arcane barrage, which is mostly a single target spell with a secondary cleave effect very similar to heart strike, also does no damage to the orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    The point of the affix is not to add exploding target dummies, but to force the group to have awareness of the surrounding environment and reasonably sized pulls and not to blindly AoE everything down. The increasing health of the globes are just a minor inconvenience, but obviously there is a threshold where it begins to be more punishing where a single non crit is no longer enough to kill it. But the major challenge is to be priorizing the globes and for many specs managing ressources or procs to be able to deal with the globes, lowering their overall damage output.
    Or you just bring a DH or some other spec that can trivially 1-shot them even in 20+ without pooling resources and which have an overall increase in DPS for doing so.

It doesn't really tax a group's awareness, while many other affixes really punish bad play. This one remains a net benefit or at least a completely ignorable affix (even explosions don't matter much in most keys). One bad misstep with Sanguine can add more HP required to an entire dungeon than this entire affix. One bad bolster. Nearly every affix has some actual negative impact that requires you to deal with it in a way that loses throughput or adds risk. This one doesn't.

Or you just bring a DH or some other spec that can trivially 1-shot them even in 20+ without pooling resources and which have an overall increase in DPS for doing so.

It doesn't really tax a group's awareness, while many other affixes really punish bad play. This one remains a net benefit or at least a completely ignorable affix (even explosions don't matter much in most keys). One bad misstep with Sanguine can add more HP required to an entire dungeon than this entire affix. One bad bolster. Nearly every affix has some actual negative impact that requires you to deal with it in a way that loses throughput or adds risk. This one doesn't.
    Just because a handful specs can easily deal with it does not make it negligible. It still requires the groups awareness, and having 10+ orbs simultaneously and continously spawning in the rat pack in arc requires quite the group effort, and further it slows down pulls. One bad pull can wipe the group and cost much more than just killing a mob group again.

And it's not new or surprising that some specs deal better with different m+ affixes, but not everyone tries to push high keys with the optimal setup.

With optimal setup sanguine is utterly harmless if you bring enough classes that can move mobs. Bolstering is another tier.

Blasting, grievous and quaking are the others to compare explosive to, and they all are easy to deal with. Blasting has pretty much the same consequences as explosive, it slows down pulling (or rather killing). Grievous is mainly a healers job, but when the tank tries to push while 4 people in the group are at 5 stacks it also leads to a wipe, so again it slows down pulling. And quaking, well that's pretty much overflowing 2.0 except a few freak cases and just pretty annoying for casters.