Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Apparently are bodies are like a battery, we have a set predetermined lifespan and exercise just makes us drain our lifespan faster. So the first time I heard this theory was from our very own Orlong but recently I found out that Trump believes this too which is bizarre because I genuinely believed Orlong invented this theory. Is this actually a theory people are peddling towards the naive in America? This is literally the only two times I have heard it and am curious how common it is
    It's not a theory. Don't call it that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    My grandfather was part of a study that had some people exercise and some people not. All the exercise people died before 65 while the non exercisers all lived past 80 except for those with almost completely sedentary lifestyle (work and home)
    Bullshit. There are so many damned variables to that it's ridiculous if what you say is not just a complete lie. If it were even remotely true, athletes would die young and they obviously don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Didn't realize Trump was a liberal cuck.
    If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if he was some kind of cuck. I obviously don't have data, but I'd guess that most unattractive, rich, old men with trophy wives have wives that fuck someone behind their back.

My grandfather was part of a study that had some people exercise and some people not. All the exercise people died before 65 while the non exercisers all lived past 80 except for those with almost completely sedentary lifestyle (work and home)
    It was started in the 20s and went into the 80s i doubt there is anything about it online.
    A 60 year study that lasted into the 1980s. If there is nothing online about it, it either didn't happen or was some bullshit "study".
    Nobody is going to fund an actual legitimate study for that long and publish nothing.

Apparently are bodies are like a battery, we have a set predetermined lifespan and exercise just makes us drain our lifespan faster. So the first time I heard this theory was from our very own Orlong but recently I found out that Trump believes this too which is bizarre because I genuinely believed Orlong invented this theory. Is this actually a theory people are peddling towards the naive in America? This is literally the only two times I have heard it and am curious how common it is
    I think it is more like 'Your Body has a set # of heartbeats before you die' or something like that. I have heard it on numerous occasions where animals during their lifespan have approx XYZ amount of heartbeats before they die and animals that have faster heartbeats have shorter lifespans (as they reach that limit faster).

Edit:

Here is some stuff I found:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate-of-living_theory
    http://kottke.org/13/02/does-every-s...s-per-lifetime

It is an interesting read to say the least.
    Last edited by Skalm; 2017-06-09 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    I think it is more like 'Your Body has a set # of heartbeats before you die' or something like that. I have heard it on numerous occasions where animals during their lifespan have approx XYZ amount of heartbeats before they die and animals that have faster heartbeats have shorter lifespans (as they reach that limit faster).
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence for such a principle.

If there was, it would still be consistent with fit people living longer. Spending an hour or so a day with an elevated heart rate leads to spending most of the day with a very low resting heart rate.

Deleted
    Exercise can become unhealthy. At a certain point it can do more harm than good. Also, many people who exercise extensively take supplements that are extremely bad for their bodies... but obviously you need to exercise AND eat healthy in order to keep your body healthy

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely not true with some minor exceptions.

The only detriment with exercise is wear and tear in your joints/tendons and if you cause yourself injury with improper form during weight lifting. The wear and tear from running is easily overcome by switching in something like swimming which will remove the stress of gravity and your weight acting on your joints. There is no way around wear and tear in sports, so atheletes should rest and recuperate when able.

The benefits however are immense. Cardiovascular exercise in your early years strengthens your heart and vessels for when they lose their compliance with age. Rigorous exercise especially involving your legs is can help with depression due to the large release of endorphins which enhance your mood. The muscle that you build not only makes your physique attractive but also lends your skeleton more support and increases your resting metabolism. Lifting weights early in life also helps strengthen your bones and this is especially important in women who are at increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures post-menopause.

I'm sure I could go on and on but those are just some benefits of exercise .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

I've haven't heard this before Trump said it. But I can imagine it is an easy justification for people who are not in shape. It is actually very uncomfortable and tiring to start exercising when you're out of shape. Getting over that initial barrier into the feeling better phase isn't easy, especially when you're older. So I can see how people could be led to believe this. It is sad though. I wish they could feel better.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The people that believe this are the same as believe the earth is plain and the world was created 2017 years ago... just idiots

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence for such a principle.

If there was, it would still be consistent with fit people living longer. Spending an hour or so a day with an elevated heart rate leads to spending most of the day with a very low resting heart rate.
    Wasnt that a theory that appeared in the film "gattaca"? Wasnt just something they invented for that film?

It's funny that people believe this.

If you think about it logically- it couldn't possibly be true. I have seen people exercising religiously for decades. They would be dropping dead. So would athletes and anybody that works in an "active lifestyle" industry.

There is simply zero data to support it.

There is some truth that there is a limit to the exercise that the body can take.

People that exercise too much (not giving their body time to rest and recover; aka overtraining) can suffer from:

Fatigue, physical and/or emotional

Decrease in performance

Sleep issues

Changes in sex drive

Decreased appetite

Mood disturbances

Getting sick more often

Changes in heart rate during your normal exercise activities

So just like most things along these lines- there is a small nugget of truth in there.

Wow, apparently I should have died a long time ago...I wonder if this relates to my craving for braaaains....

I've never heard this theory before this thread.

More widely believed "use it or lose it" to excercise.

Confirmed: Trump is Orlong.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Confirmed: Trump is Orlong.
    I find myself unsurprised...That would actually explain quite a bit...

Only bad hombres exercise.

Deleted
    This seems to fall into the same vein as the whole "alternative medicine" BS so many prominent people are buying it. Reminds me a lot of Steve Jobs and how he effectively got himself killed through it.

If bodies were like batteries, we'd never need to sleep. We'd eventually just die instead.

I'm starting to believe that meme magic is real,we fucked with shit that wasn't meant to be fucked with and used way too many pepes.Now the very reality we know is starting to be warped and bent by memes,why do you think that flat earthers,anti-vaccers and people saying that exercise is unhealthy exist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this satire?

It was started in the 20s and went into the 80s i doubt there is anything about it online.
    There was a study that ran for 60 fucking years and came to the conclusion that exercise is bad for you and there's not a trace of it on the internet? That's not how these things work.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to understand that the United States is a very large place. There are areas like the Northeast where a good percentage of the population is educated and industrious. Then you have wherever Orlong is from, where they probably have a one room school house and teach kids that God invented guns to kill the gays.

In short, a great many Americans are intelligent, hardworking people. Some, however, are morons. Those morons appear to represent an increasingly vocal minority.
    Beta Club Brosquad