For me it was the difficult of getting everything and the joy you'd get from getting some as simple as pvp gear. Leveling to 55 was a pain too I loved spending days on UnGoro Crater, the whole thing fell real all those dinosaurs the struggle....damn it was hard and fun. Tarren Mill....tons of glitches ....raiding......tons of stuff.

literally nothing gameplay wise in a mechanical sense. The only thing "classic" wow has over modern WoW is a different type of community. Some or most of the vocal minority prefer the old WoW community to this current modern community.

Deleted
    Imo, both eras were absolutely beautiful, cause they both had their kind of unique chracteristics. As a guy says above, Classic/Vanilla WoW was more slow paced and everything mattered, hell getting some gold was like becoming instantly rich, compared to today, so that made it fun for people to become rich (that's one small example of a list of things that happened back then). Today's WoW is more focused into its PvE aspect and providing new ideas that Vanilla WoW didn't have (After all the artifact idea was brilliant, asides from the heavy grind needed). It's just that the guys that played Vanilla, are mostly grown-ups that are complaining to literally everything sometimes, just because they don't feel like accepting improvement or ideas. (There are exceptions ofc)

Deleted
    Im suprised you have to ask this question. Vanilla is nostalgia that won't have the same feel as today..

Current:

More balanced, better PvE etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda11 View Post
    literally nothing gameplay wise in a mechanical sense. The only thing "classic" wow has over modern WoW is a different type of community. Some or most of the vocal minority prefer the old WoW community to this current modern community.
    nah game felt more rewarding. thats a + for me brah
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

The main difference for me is that the game was largely about exploration. It's that curiosity to see content myself that drove me to join/make groups for content, from 5man to 40man, and what lead me into guilds. That's what the 'adventure' of Warcraft was about. Nowadays all the content is spoiled for you by default via automatic queue systems and trivial modes, and from there it's just about power growth, competition, or whatever else that drives people to do the same but harder tuned content.

I still play and I'm not saying the current formula is outright bad btw. It has its advantages too, like being able to see content without having to commit to a group of people (that's how I play: just do everything in puggable modes). But I would be fine with not seeing all the content as a casual player too, and the looming mystique of there being things I haven't seen yet would make me consider raiding again probably.
    Last edited by razkah; 2017-06-10 at 02:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Damage control that worked quite well I might add. The 'hype' surrounding that is quite dead and then Nost went and fucked themselves further by giving out their code to someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because it isn't viable for Blizzard. *shocked face*

i would not say dead, the demand is still there, warmane has a lot of players, it may seem dead because those players are not vocal anymore, they find out that blizzard doest give a shit about legacy servers, so they moved on. And yes, the damage control worked very well for them, unfortunately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    that's not a MMORPG experience in my book, that's a cooperative ARPG at best.
    Exactly, an obsession with current content, catch-up driven ilevel inflation, anonymous cross-realm queues, and endless "quality of life" standardization of previously character-specific traits like mounts, titles, gear, etc. all come together to make characters little more than the avatars one selects in Heroes or Overwatch. Levelling is also so fast that all the experiences people used to get from being in the same zone with the same people for a couple of nights or even week(s) have completely disappeared as well, further damaging the community aspect that used to exist.

I check back here every couple of months, and sadly it seems the developers have no intentions whatsoever of changing direction. Whatever works for them I guess. Even twelve years on I'd still love to be in the World of Warcraft it was actually, you know, a world.

Deleted
    Nothing.
    The game is now (arguably) better than it has ever been, and an order of magnitude better than vanilla.
    What made wow so great during vanilla is that there was nothing like it at that scale at that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of you guys missing the point. The people saying vanilla wow was a better game are the people looking for a more time consuming hobby , where you can be more invested and engaged and immersed at the price of less balance/QoL changes ,and way more time requirement. And the other crowd - praising the change in direction - are the people who view wow as "just" a very good game , like league of legends or any other , where flawless execution and quality of life things are the most important along with balance and more new content.

I don't know why the dev team changed direction over the years but neither one is bad , they just cater to a different crowd.

That along with having to work hard over a long period of time for things.
    Eh, in 'Classic' it was overkill. Legion feels like it hit something of a sweet-spot concerning reward/timing.

Really, the only thing Classic did better was a greater sense of community but that was also due to being so restricted within the current system of the time.

I enjoyed my ventures in Hillsbrad and Stranglethorn, sure, and would like to see them make the game feel a bit more organic like that but that's hard to accomplish as it was only originally managed because there was so little to do in the first place!

But that's what a MMORPG is supposed to be like. It's supposed to be time consuming and immersive. You're supposed to have to put in a lot of time to reap the rewards, any rewards. I liken it to going to the gym. If you want to have any meaningful progress you have to put in an hour or two at least 3-4 times per week, not LOL around once a month because then it's just pointless and meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

Spend 15 minutes AFK staring at another screen 50% of the time and being rewarded the best gear in the game isn't a sweet spot in my book. You'd should have to play actively over a couple of weeks for that.
    Didn't realise I could AFK in Mythic and Heroic raids. Thanks for letting me know. I'll tell my guild and see what their response is to me afking in our raids for Tomb of Sargeras.

Also MMOs clearly aren't since the design direction hasn't been aimed that way in years and any MMO that tried it either switched their business model or is pretty much dead for it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-10 at 07:51 PM.

But that's what a MMORPG is supposed to be like. It's supposed to be time consuming and immersive. You're supposed to have to put in a lot of time to reap the rewards, any rewards. I liken it to going to the gym. If you want to have any meaningful progress you have to put in an hour or two at least 3-4 times per week, not LOL around once a month because then it's just pointless and meaningless.
    One of the main reasons WoW was so successfull when it first released was that it was way more casual than it's competitors. Just saying.

Spend 15 minutes AFK staring at another screen 50% of the time and being rewarded the best gear in the game isn't a sweet spot in my book. You'd should have to play actively over a couple of weeks for that.
    Yeah, vanilla raiding was really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    One of the main reasons WoW was so successfull when it first released was that it was way more casual than it's competitors. Just saying.

I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post

This. Not to mention the amount of time gating done by having to farm your resistance gear to kill 1 whole boss. People really think WoW would have survived with that kind of design for 12 years? Especially with more accessible MMOs coming along in the 12 year timeframe?

But yes WoWs success does come from it's initial accessibility which no MMO at the time really had. It's 12 year life so far however comes from it being able to adapt to the market. I see at least 10-15 more years of it before it's really over personally. Unless someone reinvents the MMO wheel in that time.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-10 at 08:00 PM.

The sense of novelty, as well as most of us being kids with no REAL obligations in real life.

1. Levelling/Gearing took a LOT. A LOT. You could do it in 7days if you were good ( 7 days of /played time, not 7 RL days unless you didn't sleep ). Most of us, nowadays, don't add up 7 days of gaming very fast because we are busy.

2. The sense of novelty-- WoW was a new world with SO MANY, OH SO MANY secrets to be found. Even today, 15 years later, I still stumble upon easter eggs and secrets.

3. The lore

Warcraft3 changed a lot, WoW freaking turned Warcraft on its head. It expanded SOOOO many areas.

4. The mystery-- anyone recall stumbling into the secret Grove in Duskwood and finding a huge Emerald Dream portal and level ??? Dragons?

We were all wondering what the hell that was.

4 ties into

5. Lack of Internet-found information/guides/tactics

The game was not as easy because you couldn't find the best talent builds or cookie cutter stats.

Nowadays that doesn't happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I see at least 10-15 more years of it before it's really over personally. Unless someone reinvents the MMO wheel in that time.
    Given that some of it's older "brothers" are still active...

So kids stopped playing games in 2004? Just because you're 30 years old doesn't mean the rest of the world is.

What are you asking exactly?

The majority of people who played WoW were not married adults back in 2002 I can tell you that. Because married adults would lack the time Vanilla WoW demanded of you in order to level and raid.

The game became more and more casual as time went on because those players could no longer afford to spend so much time in WoW.

WoW isn't bringing a lot of new people, it's mostly the playerbase built in the 2000s that come back.

So kids stopped playing games in 2004? Just because you're 30 years old doesn't mean the rest of the world is.
    No, but most people that play WoW are.

Deleted
    Saying Classic wow is better than now is like saying living in the 1800s would be better than living today.