Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixon View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Russian_sentiment

"Anti-Russian sentiment or Russophobia is a diverse spectrum of negative feelings, dislikes, fears, aversion, derision and/or prejudice of Russia, Russians or Russian culture.[1]"

It's already a word. OP didn't invent anything.
    I didn't say the OP invented it

10+ Year Old Account
    "Russophobia" is a bullshit word to begin with. People don't "fear" the common Russian folk. That would be stupid and pointless. They hate/fear the ruling body of Russia. They have given, and continue to give, ample reasons to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    People really need to stop the Russophobia. I know lots of Russian Americans that are living in fear because of this. Hate crimes and anti Russian American bias have risen also.
    Yeah, no this isn't a thing. Americans aren't generally upset by the ideologies of Russian society, it's just the nutcase tyrant and political alignments we don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    There's certainly a vast difference between "I dislike Russia and its government" and "I dislike Russians" the latter of which I never see said beyond the immature

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixon View Post
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/xenophobia

Dislike of or prejudice against.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/phobia

Extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/aversion

Strong dislike or disinclination.

Stop trying to be a grammar snob when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Do you know what "or administration" means? He didn't at all imply that Donald Trump is the only corrupt person in the government.

Nothing you posting contradicted what I said?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

Yes, actually I searched google but nothing came up.

I retract what I said, I was wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    TBF Oxford Dictionary does have a definition of Russophobia. I don't agree but many silly words get added these days

Is this Russia's new spam campaign? To stop people from talking about them? Russia is the biggest threat to world stability, Its sorta like talking about Hitlerphobia.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    TBF Oxford Dictionary does have a definition of Russophobia. I don't agree but many silly words get added these days

Yeah vegas linked it.

I can admit when I'm wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no russophobia.
    It's more like russian antagonism of many things outside their own language.

Example, imagine if in WoW chinese came to european servers and you saw chinese names and chat all over the place.
    There's a reason why there are french, german, spanish and italian servers.

It's the same outside of WoW.

Although, to be fair, in portugal every person of russian origin quickly tries to learn portuguese and and integrate society.
    There's no russophobia here, that I know of.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-06-10 at 12:20 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Excellent topic.

The whole anti-Russian thing going on is way out of control. Russian athletes, politicians and even Eurovision Songfestival competitors banned. Its a complete witchhunt against Russians. The media and even sports organisations all attribute. Its completely ridiculous. Guess the powers that be cant wait for Putin to be removed and be replaced by a Western puppet.

ofcourse the russian atletes being doped up has nothing to do with them being banned en masse from organised sports events.
    Remember it's not steroids, it's russophobia.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russophobia is as stupid as a concept/word as Islamophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Russophobia is as stupid as a concept/word as Islamophobia.
    yeah as if anyone has irrational fears towards any of those groups

Putin came into power because he didn't rat out his boss. His boss was the mayor of Saint Petersburg who was so corrupt he was selling food meant for the poor on the black market. He was finally arrested and at his trial, Putin didn't testify against him.

Meanwhile Yeltsin was looking for a way of retiring without being convicted for corruption and sent to prison by the future government. Yeltsin and his cronies noticed Putin's loyalty and they decided they would put him in power, in exchange Putin wouldn't bring charges against Yeltsin.

The only thing to blame Russian's in general for is that they don't take charge of their government and clean up the corruption but I'm sure the Russian people would take charge if they knew how.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Well, i criticize the tyrant Putin and his autocrat regime. Not russia. Russia is a great country.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, actually I searched google but nothing came up.

I retract what I said, I was wrong.
    Uhm...

Phobia = fear, not hate.
    You absolutely said that. And I quoted the Oxford Dictionaire stating that phoba is either fear or aversion to something, and that aversion is "strong dislike". I.e. it's not "just fear, not hate". It's also hate. What I posted absolutely contradicted what you said, because you were chastising someone for using the word "phobia" to mean hate, when in fact phoba does mean that.

It is pretty funny how "Islamophobia" is a commonly used phrase while "Russophobia" is pretty rare. I think it speaks volumes about how cultural tastemakers can shape public discourse through the choice or words. When Russians hacks John Podesta, that's a real crisis and hysteria around it is definitely not Russophobia, but when Islamic terrorists get a bit stabby again, noticing that it seems to be mostly an Islam problem is quickly branded Islamophobia.

The Google Ngrams for this is a good example of Islamophobia hysteria.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2017-06-10 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It is pretty funny how "Islamophobia" is a commonly used phrase while "Russophobia" is pretty rare. I think it speaks volumes about how cultural tastemakers can shape public discourse through the choice or words. When Russians hacks John Podesta, that's a real crisis and hysteria around it is definitely not Russophobia, but when Islamic terrorists get a bit stabby again, noticing that it seems to be mostly an Islam problem is quickly branded Islamophobia.
    The thing is, when people talk about "Russia" they almost always mean the Russian state apparatus. Ordinary Russian citizens are of course perfectly fine people who, for a variety of reasons, have zero influence to speak of on global politics.

The analogy you're trying to make seems to imply that a similar circumstance exists for Muslims, but that's just not really the case. While there are many countries that would like to be the undisputed leader of the Muslim world, none yet comes close to claiming that title and the different contenders are far more focused on fighting each other than coordinating against the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The thing is, when people talk about "Russia" they almost always mean the Russian state apparatus. Ordinary Russian citizens are of course perfectly fine people who, for a variety of reasons, have zero influence to speak of on global politics.

The analogy you're trying to make seems to imply that a similar circumstance exists for Muslims, but that's just not really the case. While there are many countries that would like to be the undisputed leader of the Muslim world, none yet comes close to claiming that title and the different contenders are far more focused on fighting each other than coordinating against the West.
    What, no deplorables supporting Putin in Russia?!?! interesting...
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

If islamophobia is real then so is russophobia. You can't have it both ways.

Russophobia - genuine fear based on what russians (or rather Russian gov) did in history (old and new). Ukraine was first, I wonder what/who will be next.
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2017-06-10 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.