Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm in favour but only under the condition that

1: The person is suffering from a chronic or terminal illness that causes significant pain/significantly reduced quality of life to the point of eclipsing any chance at a normal life.
    2: The person is evaluated by a professional and is considered mentally capable enough to make a decision of that gravity. I personally suffer from Bipolar Disorder and someone like me shouldn't be allowed to make a decision like that. And even then.
    3: The decision is made not just by the person in question but also with the consent of a medical professional to ensure that the patient's circumstances warrant such drastic measures.

If even one of those 3 conditions are even a little bit shaky, then I don't think the person should be given access to euthanasia.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Hard to say.
    Most people who attempt suicide turn back at the last moment and change their mind. With assisted suicide, there is no turning back.
    There usually is a process to establish one's wish to die. In Switzerland, it involves ongoing psychological evaluation and the use of palliative and other treatments to try and see if it is possible to heal the person or make her change her mind. Actual assisted suicide is the last resort. It can take up to several days or weeks, depending on the case, and the patient get asked multiple times whether he truly wants to die or not... If he keeps answering "yes" fully understanding the consequences of his request, I believe we ought to honor his wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I think euthanasia should never be legal. I think it is a sign of societal collapse and rise of depravity that we are even discussing this.

If you're ill, as in suffering from physical and real pain, I feel for you and I wish you nothing more than getting better. Now, I know that recovery is not on the cards for many terminally ill people hence the terminally ill part but I still think that euthanasia is not the answer.

I wish we had stasis technology that would solve everything.
    Wish all you want that doesn't help the people suffering as you are dreaming of Utopian situations. A bit selfish of you to think your ideals are more important then the never ending daily pain that people feel that only is going to continue to get worse and worse until their body just shuts down and they die. Not sure what you think stasis technology is going to do other then lock people in a container of some sort and not allow them to die. Unless you are making a rather large assumption that not only would there be a cure off in the future at some point, but if there was they would use it on people from the past. Think of the population issues alone if we just froze all of our sick for a later group of people to deal with.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for euthanasia. Aside euthanasia I have a different view on suicide in general and whatever method they choose I don't look down on people who end their own lives or view them as "cowards" just by virtue of them performing that act. This really upsets people close to me, and if it does anyone here my apologies, but if someone wants to really end their life, godspeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm planning to go through with it at some point

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I think it's one of this "in their shoes" questions

If you lacked any quality of life or dignity and knew your death will likely be long, drawn out and uncomfortable would you like the option to just fall asleep and die peacefully at your desire?
    Me? No, I have a hard time seeing myself giving up like that.
    Easy for me to say now, I guess but I just don't see it.

Trying to put myself in someone else's shoes but still, it feels wrong.
    There is also always the risk of people giving up even though there are other options or people making money of these assisted suicides, promoting them when they really should not. Thats what scares me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very very pro. I worked for 4 years as a home healthcare nurse aide/hospice, in those 4 years I lost 7 patients to ALS. I was there personally when 3 of them died.

My first patient asked me to overdose him on the liquid morphine. I wanted to, for his own sake. He died 2 months later. If I was in that same situation again, with someone in that situation after seeing the final months, begging me to do it, I'm not sure I could say no again.

If a person wants to die, they should be able to. It's their life. Who the fuck has the right to say "it's not that bad, be strong", fuck you. You don't know how the person feels, the pain they are in, losing control of the only thing you have left. Their own life. If they want out, they should be able to long as they are 18+. No questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I'm all for euthanasia, no need to prolong someones suffering.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Depends on the circumstances really. In some people are just trying to avoid consequences of their bad actions and it makes them a coward. Others have real reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's fine to be weary of the idea because of practical reasons like how it's implemented and the legislation revolving around it. In some cases, it's a legitimate argument against such a thing though. For instance, capital punishment. I think because we can never be 100% certain we won't end up killing a few innocent people, we should never do such a thing aside from possibly extreme cases. I don't have much a problem with it morally speaking. Same thing for euthanasia. No problems morally, just practically speaking there could be issues. You have to consider both practicality and morality. Even in abortion, I'm kind of on the fence about the morality of it, but I don't care too much to decide because practically speaking, it's better than banning it outright.

I agree with you. Yes, for example those people who kill others then eat a bullet are cowards -- there are mitigating circumstances, but just speaking generally I don't view people as cowards merely for performing the act. I remember a few people calling Robin Williams a coward, and in cases like that or Richard Farnsworth, who long battled cancer, I disagree with the notion they are cowards (not saying you believe that).

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Why don't we try a thought experiment here.

Let's say a person is in some horrible accident, maybe a car accident. They wreck and break the majority of the bones in their body (besides at least one arm), maybe losing a few limbs, they're on fire and burning alive and are certain to die within the next few minutes. They carry a gun on them and they're able to use that gun to kill themselves. Do you think it would be morally wrong for them to end their suffering and make their death quicker and less miserable?

We can do the same scenario, but perhaps instead it's a passer-by who sees this incident and has a gun. Do you think it would be morally wrong for that passer-by to end this person's suffering knowing he will certainly die anyway in a few minutes?

Also,

I just an absurd statement. Questions like these have been discussed since early civilizations since the beginning of philosophy. So, obviously it's no sign of societal collapse to discuss these things. Don't be so over dramatic.

Your thought experiment is flawed and it is biased towards guilt tripping people into playing in to your pro-euthanasia narrative.
    First of all most of the euthanasia scenarios which people experience have no sense of urgency like your scenario paints euthanasia decision-making to be. And secondly I think it takes a extremely mentally strong and focused person with zen-like capabilities to be able to rationally deduce that killing themselves is the right thing in a situation where they are burning alive. And your second scenario with the passer-by is completely ridiculous as that would be murder. I don't know if anyone even the pro-euthanasia crowd would think that shooting someone who just went through a horrific accident is the right answer. And finally, how is the person in the accident even conscious.

----

But looking beyond all of that. First scenario: I think it is morally wrong to kill yourself even if you're burning alive and have no way out. I think that the possibilities are endless and you never know if you just might get 'through' it and survive.
    Second scenario: I think it is wrong to murder people and perhaps even more so when they are suffering... How about grab a blanket or water and put the fire out and call for help. WTF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    am strongly against and against anyone who is for it.
    I'm glad you posted this. I was getting worried this whole forum was in support of people offing themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Sorry to hear that, mind me asking what you're suffering from?
    Duchene Muscular Dystrophy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    With appropriate legislation and balances in place to ensure that people are not being pressured to do it (eg: Old relative pushed to just get it over with so the inheritance train can come on time).

My favourite writer, Terry Pratchett, made a great documentary about it called "Choosing to Die". Highly recommend i
    t.
    I second this

I'm glad you posted this. I was getting worried this whole forum was in support of people offing themselves.
    There is a world of difference between advocating people killing themselves just because and assisted suicide. There is a rather huge gap between being alive and living, people should have the right to end their lives if living means constant pain, suffering or losing who you are. I think most people against this are usually religious who want to pass their moral imperative upon others. I respect your stance but I disagree with it, there is no need to torture people just for the sake of them having a pulse as long as possible.

Deleted
    I think euthanasia should never be legal. I think it is a sign of societal collapse and rise of depravity that we are even discussing this.

If you're ill, as in suffering from physical and real pain, I feel for you and I wish you nothing more than getting better. Now, I know that recovery is not on the cards for many terminally ill people hence the terminally ill part but I still think that euthanasia is not the answer.

I wish we had stasis technology that would solve everything.
    That's all well and good but it's still essentially saying "Sorry you're suffering immensely but chin up" Your morality is completely irrelevant, if you wish to suffer over subjective morality then you're welcome to but the moment you begin enforcing your morals regarding suffering onto others it just comes across as utterly arrogant imo

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Are you pro euthanasia or against?

As somebody with a terminal condition and knowledge on the likely scenario on how I will die I am pro legalise euthanasia (or assisted suicide). Now I understand the concerns and agree but with a strict guideline and procedures I genuinely believe a professional legal euthanasia system will be extremely positive towards society and those with terminal illness. What's your opinion
    I am pro...

As for looking for a system...look at the netherlands. It has a very complicated strict system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthan...he_Netherlands

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am in favor of physician assisted suicide as long as there is a fairly strict protocol which is properly upheld. It is very easy for the depression that comes alongside with a terminal illness to lead someone to seek death without having a clear mind which is not something I'd consider desirable. If you've done the therapy and the psychiatrist agrees you are making this decision with no impairment then yes, make it possible to do so in a hospital with a physician to assist you through it and make it as painless as possible.
    I agree

I don't believe anybody wants a walk-in clinic where a doctor kills you, it would have to be monitored very closely

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    am strongly against and against anyone who is for it.
    This is not a hate comment or troll comment or something like that. But why??????

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    I am pro...

As for looking for a system...look at the netherlands. It has a very complicated strict system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthan...he_Netherlands
    Im not too keen on the methods I must confess, as in drinking a poison cocktail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am in favor of physician assisted suicide as long as there is a fairly strict protocol which is properly upheld. It is very easy for the depression that comes alongside with a terminal illness to lead someone to seek death without having a clear mind which is not something I'd consider desirable. If you've done the therapy and the psychiatrist agrees you are making this decision with no impairment then yes, make it possible to do so in a hospital with a physician to assist you through it and make it as painless as possible.
    I'd agree with some of the protocols except you'll have hospitals, mostly religiously affiliated ones, who will "nope" you right to the chapel instead. And psychiatrists who feel suicide is wrong no matter what, whether doctor assisted or self implemented.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is against it, it means he/she has never seen a dear one suffer horribly on a hospital bed hoping to die soon, and their opinion is null.

Frankly I don't know why it's not legal yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    If someone is against it, it means he/she has never seen a dear one suffer horribly on a hospital bed hoping to die soon, and their opinion is null.

Frankly I don't know why it's not legal yet.
    I can't be bothered to find it, but George Carlin's "Sanctity of life is bullshit" clip goes here.

Also, desert dwelling nomads wrote a book rationalizing the current events of their time to have their world make sense and not seem an utter shit hole. It persisted.