Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why would remaining in the european customs union mean retain no border on ireland?
    They already have the Common Travel Area, which is an agreement between Ireland and the UK (as neither are in the Schengen Area). So in theory leaving only this bilateral agreement intact would mean there'd be no border. However, because people could use this open border to smuggle goods between the EU and the UK, border checks would in practice have to be set up, meaning there'd be a border anyway - not because people aren't allowed to pass, but because they'd have to check those people and their vehicles for goods. If they remain in the Customs Union the EU and the UK would retain free trade in goods, and such border checks would not be necessary, leaving an open border on Ireland.

Deleted
    I fear that despite the brexit, the UK is lost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    They already have the Common Travel Area, which is an agreement between Ireland and the UK (as neither are in the Schengen Area). So in theory leaving only this bilateral agreement intact would mean there'd be no border. However, because people could use this open border to smuggle goods between the EU and the UK, border checks would in practice have to be set up, meaning there'd be a border anyway - not because people aren't allowed to pass, but because they'd have to check those people and their vehicles for goods. If they remain in the Customs Union the EU and the UK would retain free trade in goods, and such border checks would not be necessary, leaving an open border on Ireland.
    Uhm but then they could also provide services across border without passporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7783186.html

can this woman please just FUCK OFF
    Chairman May.

This will come back to haunt her when she gets into bed with the anti-women DUP :

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7783186.html

can this woman please just FUCK OFF
    Damn, how will the people who don't want to get caught online work out their plots now? If just someone could invent an internet within the internet that only certain browsers can reach and is giving the users anonymity.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    I fear that despite the brexit, the UK is lost.
    I fear that if you are a citizen of the "Republic of Kekistan" you are part of a movement that is advancing fascist ideology through irony, meaning that you are lost or at best seriously misguided. oO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Chairman May.

This will come back to haunt her when she gets into bed with the anti-women DUP :
    That picture looks like it was taken at the time the suffragette movements were around, judging by how young she looks. I apologise for looks shaming women, but I had to take the piss on May, sorry.

And yeah. It would've been a massive boost to May's image, and a move that would've kept her in power despite her minority in Parliament, if she said she wouldn't deal with the DUP, and instead deciding to focus on policy. Would've been an awesome and ballsy move that could've displayed her competence. The DUP would've still sided with her ideas, since they're the closest to them, and she could've swing some LibDem votes to her side in a hung government.

Then again, I don't know why I was expecting a politically innovative and bold move from May.

Deleted
    Damn, how will the people who don't want to get caught online work out their plots now? If just someone could invent an internet within the internet that only certain browsers can reach and is giving the users anonymity.
    The recent attack on the website London bridge by the cyber terrorists ISIS means we need tougher internet regulation!

Saying "freedom of movement is a non-started", "there's no way to square that circle" makes no sense as a reply to my post. You obviously didn't read it. *sigh*.
    I did, I was merely questioning whether your central supposition is accurate. The DUP were opposed to the GFA in the first place, they also want no separate situation for NI than from the rest of the UK while also wanting the hardest Brexit possible. "No squaring that circle" means their contradictions can't be resolved. "No border" and "taking back control" are mutually exclusive.

Deleted
    I fear that if you are a citizen of the "Republic of Kekistan" you are part of a movement that is advancing fascist ideology through irony, meaning that you are lost or at best seriously misguided. oO
    I was amused at first, then I saw your location and burst into laughter.

Uhm but then they could also provide services across border without passporting.
    No, goods and services don't work the same way. If an Irish plumber goes over to the North, his British customer can't pay his Irish company. He'd have to set up a UK company, and he'd had to get a work permit from the UK to employ himself in that company. He can still freely go into the UK, he just can't work or reside there without a permit from the UK government. He can freely export pipes, but he can't provide his plumbing services.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    I was amused at first, then I saw your location and burst into laughter.
    You truly are lost. To quote your God Emperor; Sad!

15+ Year Old Account
    No, goods and services don't work the same way. If an Irish plummer goes over to the North, his British customer can't pay his Irish company. He'd have to set up a UK company, and he'd had to get a work permit from the UK to employ himself in that company. He can still freely go into the UK, he just can't work or life there without a permit from the UK government. He can freely export pipes, but he can't provide his plumbing services.
    So being paid under the table can't ever happen?

Deleted

You truly are lost. To quote your God Emperor; Sad!
    To quote Trump: " Just look what's happening in sweden"

So being paid under the table can't ever happen?
    Of course, the Irish plumber could always plumb as part of the shadow economy. But so could any British plumber, or anyone who reside in the country illegally. Every government have ways of dealing with that regardless of the state of their borders.

"My idiot sons could run this country better than you, Queen tells May"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...20170609129225

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    "My idiot sons could run this country better than you, Queen tells May"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...20170609129225

Obvious satire but I wouldn't be opposed to the monarchy taking over again.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Obvious satire but I wouldn't be opposed to the monarchy taking over again.
    The Queen can give the task of forming a government to anybody else, if she pleases. If she would invite Corbyn for tea and ask for his intentions, May can do nothing against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    The Queen can give the task of forming a government to anybody else, if she pleases. If she would invite Corbyn for tea and ask for his intentions, May can do nothing against it.
    No, she can't. The Royal Family are politically neutral and her role is purely ceremonial.

Think that May will be toast within a week.

She's just lost her two SPADs Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill (who basically ran the country for her - they were even overruling Cabinet Ministers) and is now alone and friendless in Downing Street. She bottled the biggest political opportunity for the Conservatives in the last sixty years, and the knives are out for her.

Whether we will see a formal leadership contest is another question. The Tories are extremely good at succession when it matters - I'm expecting the powers-that-be within the party to designate a successor and get the rank and file whipped in behind him.