Poll: Which class will be the next WoW class?

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    That Necromancer was one of the Hero classes considered to add in to the game. It's not much, but more then either the Tinker or Bard has.
    You might want to read the rest of the blog post of the single (in numbers: 1) dev that talked about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    What abilities were given to the Death Knight?
    They gave DKs Death Coil and renamed the other one to Mortal Coil. Effects wise they were never the same to begin with.

Not to mention that DC was always just an emergency spell for warlocks, Meta was a central mechanic that grew over the years.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-06-10 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    They gave DKs Death Coil and renamed the other one to Mortal Coil. Effects wise they were never the same to begin with.
    They gave the spell name to the Death Knights. The Warlock's ability was never removed or changed beyond that, because of the DKs. And it was just one ability.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

They gave the spell name to the Death Knights. The Warlock's ability was never removed or changed beyond that, because of the DKs. And it was just one ability.
    Umm, yes I know. I'm fairly certain that is what I said before.
    Edit: It's just some warlocks in their perpetual victim complex are still salty about that ..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-06-10 at 04:55 PM.

I was dead set against tinkers until I saw Mekkatorque's power armor suit at the Broken Shore. Now I'm all in on goblin/gnome tinkers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    That Necromancer was one of the Hero classes considered to add in to the game. It's not much, but more then either the Tinker or Bard has.

Didn't stop them from utterly changing Demonology or removing Warlock abilities and giving them to Death Knights.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that the possibility is there.
    Pre-Legion Demo was terrible. Warlocks turning into demons made no sense. Demonology locks should be like BM hunters, all about maximizing pet power and usage.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Definitely Necromancer. Would be neat to see him in game as a playable class. But still this somehow interferes with death knights.

Tinkers like Mekkatorque on broken shore? Yes. Tinkers like Gazlowe in HotS? Nope.

Necromancer would be nice class to have. Potential story arcs with new LK and DKs.

Bards are not something really estabilished in wow lore. So far each class appeared at least once in wow lore.

But for me i would like to see Shadow hunters. Maybe 4th spec for hunters with similiar playstyle to disc priest (deal dmg to heal).

10+ Year Old Account
    Your argument doesn't make much sense. What makes Druid healing so different from Monk? Since, y'know, both have quite an array of 'healing-over-time', spells. What makes one healer different from the other is not theme, at all. Since, y'know, holy paladins and holy priests and their holy healing. It's the individual abilities and what they do.
    Originally Mistweavers could perform melee attacks and those melee attacks would cause sustained AoE healing among your group, and other spells to fill up the gap that "Fistweaving" left behind. I don't know what they're doing now in Legion, but that attribute was WAY different than what Druids were doing, which was primarily HoT spells.

Again, it's important to note that none of the classes you're mentioning are completely defined by a spell. Again, the problem is that there's nothing special or unique about music spells within WoW, and nothing stops Blizzard from expanding the theme within Priests and Monks.

Regardless. It's also a great excuse to bring back something that was, for the most part, removed from the game: auras.
    Paladins have auras in Legion.

I meant as different specs. Not being one and the same. And you still haven't answered the question: what does "differentiation" mean to you? What do you accept as "differentiation"? I can't answer your question until we agree on what is acceptable and what is not as "differentiation".
    What makes one class fundamentally different than another class.

Yeah... and said 'gameplay' is already taken by other classes. Druids already have 'fighting in another form', for example, and Shamans have your 'turrets'. Etc.
    Druids transform into animals. A Tinker is piloting a mechanical vehicle. That's fundamentally different on multiple levels. As for Shaman totems, Searing totem was removed, and a Tinker turret system would be far different than the Shaman totem system.

Again, unlike Bards, Blizzard has established how a Tinker could work in WoW.

We can. You just keep trying to deny those ideas by insisting that bards must be 'buff classes' and that priests and monks already have one song spell each, therefore bards can't exist.

See, you keep insisting that bards must be "buff bots". No, it doesn't. The bard trope is a 'jack-of-all-trades' kind of guy, which is why he easily fits into the WoW's hero mold. He can easily have a healing spec, a spellcasting spec, a ranged spec, and/or a melee spec. Easily any three combination of the four possible specs listed.
    Druids are the jack of all trades.

I have yet to play a RPG video game where the Bard is anything but a buff-bot for a party or raid. Could you please explain how adding a Bard class would be preferable to simply adding more Hymns to the Priest class, or more songs to Mistweavers? The only thing that works in your favor is that Bards can use ranged weaponry.

However, a Hunter clone that sings songs to heal doesn't seem all that appealing.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2017-06-10 at 05:27 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Hey guys, I think they should add a medic in the game, I mean you could quickly stitch people up, you'd be able to search for supplies to up your medical kit, herbs could be syringes! They could give stat boosts and stuff!

And don't tell me first aid is a thing, it's not the same, and you're a troll for trying to say it is. Now I'm going to keep spaming this idea every few months in the forums because it's such a good idea!
    Might as well add an Alchemist class as we had one in WC3 as well :P Fighting by throwing potions, healing sprays and injecting a slave ogre with adrenaline boost, and turning enemies into Pure gold!

Again, in 2020 of course.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-06-10 at 05:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger or riot i say!

Fourth spec needs to be the next thing for the class system, that and a massive change to the talent systems.

none of the 3

I'll be sad if we get a bard who only does songs. really sad.

Tinker I'm not a fan of, but then again I don't like the idea of guns in wow. sooo

Necromancer would be my favourite, but I'd rather see it as either a hybrid healer, casting debuffs and buff / leaching hp from allies and enemies to heal other allies, as well as effects similar to shadow mend OR a very squishy ranged DPS, does minimum damage from him/herself but summons multiple minions to do the majority of the damage, some minions have seconds of being alive, while others have a few minutes etc.

Honestly though, I know while we have a DH now, I don't see us getting a necromancer after Diablo just got one. No way we'll have two new classes both being the same for two different games in a relative close period to each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, I think they should add a medic in the game, I mean you could quickly stitch people up, you'd be able to search for supplies to up your medical kit, herbs could be syringes! They could give stat boosts and stuff!

And don't tell me first aid is a thing, it's not the same, and you're a troll for trying to say it is. Now I'm going to keep spaming this idea every few months in the forums because it's such a good idea!
    The difference is that was never a "medic" hero in WC3, the medic theme isnt one of the major themes in WoW, and there isn't two under-utilized races in the game that exemplify the "medic" theme.

When Wrath was on the drawing board, they were debating between TWO different new classes: the Death Knight and the Runemaster. They chose the Death Knight. The Runemaster was a melee fighter that wore no armor and fought with the hands. They carved rune on their bodies for various abilities, kinda like tattoos. You can see some runemasters in northrend. The Runemaster concept got reworked into the monk. Some may argue they'd rather have had Runemasters instead of Monks, but you will never see Runemasters now because the Monk is in-game.

What's interesting is that they've never chosen a new class that wasn't kinda already in-game. Death Knights were around before Wrath. Monks were around before MoP (in the form of Runemasters). Demon Hunters were around before Legion.

If they follow the pattern and select a new class from classes that are already in-game but unplayable:

Apothecary: The Royal Apothecary Society is actually a class in wow. These are basically alchemists but a class. The most famous one would be Putress. They use potions and plagues to DPS. The plague barrels are an example.

Dark Shaman: most people don't know Dark Shaman exist. These are Shaman that enslave elementals instead of communicating with them. Magatha Grimtotem is an example.

Dark Ranger: this is yet another class found only in the Forsaken. These are undead high elves allied with Sylvanas.

Warden: The chaka-throwing jailers we all are familiar with

Witch Doctor: Mostly found among the trolls, these are a mix of alchemist and hexxer.

Hexxer: These deal with curses mostly.

Spellbreaker: These actually originate in Warcraft 3 and were introduced into WoW in MoP. They are melee fighter that specialize in killing spellcasters. They can wipe out your mana pool, make you forget spells, and can steal spells. Lor'themar Theron is actually a Spellbreaker.

Necromancer: A great many Lore characters use necromancy, from Gul'dan to Zanzil to Kel'Thuzad.Its never been defined as a class but it has many forms.

Axe Thrower: These are quite common among trolls and orcs. The most famous appearance is probably for horde during the Frostfire ridge questline, where we take the fight to a narrow pass with the Iron Horde, and we have legions of axe throwers on the hill who chop down the incoming swarm of Iron Horde orcs coming thru the pass. This is called the Battle of Thunder Pass. It is where Ga'nar boasts about how many iron horde are are slaying and then he sacrifices his life in the end to give Drek'Thar enough time for his spell.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-06-10 at 05:40 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Again, it's important to note that none of the classes you're mentioning are completely defined by a spell.
    Except I'm not saying that classes are defined by a spell. I'm saying they're defined by their spells, by their array of abilities. Theme alone is useless if you're asking how a class A would be different than class B, gameplay-wise. What makes a holy paladin different than a holy priest? Their abilities.

Again, the problem is that there's nothing special or unique about music spells within WoW, and nothing stops Blizzard from expanding the theme within Priests and Monks.
    Just like nothing stops Blizzard from expanding the tech theme with Hunters?

Paladins have auras in Legion.
    And? They're all talents, and even so, what stops another class having an aura or two?

What makes one class fundamentally different than another class.
    Lore- or gameplay-wise? If you're asking lore-wise, then we have no class that has the power of songspells as part of its core identity. Gameplay-wise, though, I think it's quite dishonest to say that they can't be different from any other healing class. Blizzard gave DK tanks an ever-expanding physical shield and created a whole new mechanic for Monk tanks, 'stagger', so why do you think Blizzard would not be able to repeat those feats?

Druids transform into animals. A Tinker is piloting a mechanical vehicle. That's fundamentally different on multiple levels.
    Only lore-wise. Gameplay-wise, same thing.

Again, unlike Bards, Blizzard has established how a Tinker could work in WoW.
    Bards have also been established how they could work. Again, examples were provided.

Druids are the jack of all trades. I have yet to play a RPG video game where the Bard is anything but a buff-bot for a party or raid.
    Assuming this idea that bards in all video-games so far have been "buff-bots"... what would stop Blizzard from breaking from this mold and making a Bard class that fits its 'trinity' system?

Could you please explain how adding a Bard class would be preferable to simply adding more Hymns to the Priest class, or more songs to Mistweavers?
    Could you please explain how adding a tech class would be preferable to simply adding more tech abilities to the hunter class? "Piloting a mech"? Druids already have the "fighting in a different form" theme covered. And other than being visually different, what would it add?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    and there isn't two under-utilized races in the game that exemplify the "medic" theme.
    I sincerely doubt "under-utilized races" were ever a pre-requisite for class development in this game. Ever. Or even an afterthought.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

A bard-like class would probably be the most interesting idea for them to try next. Thematically and mechanically it probably wouldn't have much overlap with what they've done before. One of the biggest problems with Demon Hunters (and to a minor extent Death Knights as well) was the thematic overlap with Warlocks as the dark edgelord demonic class, followed by the sneaky and agile roguish traits and the focus on mobility that they already did with Monks.

To create a class that doesn't just feel like an amalgamation of ideas that overlap with existing ones, I'd like to see something like a bard next.

Necro. I hate bards with a passion and wouldn't consider playing one even if my life was on the line. Tinker directly contests the engineering (and potentially alchemy) professions.

The class needs to be either ranged-ranged-heals, or ranged-tank-heals, or ranged-heals if blizz keeps going for the 2 spec classes. I feel both necro and bard are qualified for this, while Tinker really isn't without some serious stretching. Mech suit tanking and alchemy based healing? I can't really see mech suit as a playable thing in WoW.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is already inundated with classes and doesn't need any more. Of the three listed in the poll, the only one remotely not an amalgamation of others is the Bard, but not a good choice for a new class. Tinkers are just engineers with more toys. Necromancers are just DK's with more pets.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    A bard-like class would probably be the most interesting idea for them to try next. Thematically and mechanically it probably wouldn't have much overlap with what they've done before. One of the biggest problems with Demon Hunters (and to a minor extent Death Knights as well) was the thematic overlap with Warlocks as the dark edgelord demonic class, followed by the sneaky and agile roguish traits and the focus on mobility that they already did with Monks.

To create a class that doesn't just feel like an amalgamation of ideas that overlap with existing ones, I'd like to see something like a bard next.
    The idea behind that is common. Many games use a system that's based around a melee and ranged classes that use the same element. IE Necro-DK, Priest-Paladin, Lock-DH, Mage-Spellblade, etc etc etc. I think blizz needs to balance this out honestly. Battlemage and Necromancer are the two classes I really want to see, just to even out the system.

Spellblade could be melee-ranged-heals, and necro could be any number of ranged+tank/healer combo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except I'm not saying that classes are defined by a spell. I'm saying they're defined by their spells, by their array of abilities. Theme alone is useless if you're asking how a class A would be different than class B, gameplay-wise. What makes a holy paladin different than a holy priest? Their abilities.
    Yeah, but we're talking about bringing in an entire class off the basis of a single Priest spell, not just a single spec.

Just like nothing stops Blizzard from expanding the tech theme with Hunters?
    Except the actual Hunter theme....

Hymns fit perfectly within the Priest class. In lore, Chi-hi uses music and harmony. You're never going to see Hunters piloting mechs.

And? They're all talents, and even so, what stops another class having an aura or two?
    Because it weakens the design space of the existing class, and cheapens the existence of the newer class.

Lore- or gameplay-wise? If you're asking lore-wise, then we have no class that has the power of songspells as part of its core identity. Gameplay-wise, though, I think it's quite dishonest to say that they can't be different from any other healing class. Blizzard gave DK tanks an ever-expanding physical shield and created a whole new mechanic for Monk tanks, 'stagger', so why do you think Blizzard would not be able to repeat those feats?
    Yeah, but both Monks and DKs had strong Blizzard identities to pull from to make those forms of tanking viable from the get-go. There's no history of Bards in Wasrcraft or WoW to pull from in the same manner.

Only lore-wise. Gameplay-wise, same thing.
    Not even close.

Bards have also been established how they could work. Again, examples were provided.
    Repost.

Assuming this idea that bards in all video-games so far have been "buff-bots"... what would stop Blizzard from breaking from this mold and making a Bard class that fits its 'trinity' system?
    The fact that they have never established music as being fundamentally different than other forms of magic.

Could you please explain how adding a tech class would be preferable to simply adding more tech abilities to the hunter class? "Piloting a mech"? Druids already have the "fighting in a different form" theme covered. And other than being visually different, what would it add?
    Because technology isn't the theme of the Hunter class, and adding technology doesn't work with the concept of a survivalist/trapper. We're talking Bear Grills, not Tony Stark.

I'll discuss the difference between piloting a mech vs changing into a bear gamneplay-wise in a later post.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me sir, there was never a canon tinker hero in wc3 either, just because you could get him through the tavern in normal play doesn't mean jack. There actually is a medic in WoW, it's the draenei "rogue" in SI:7.
    You could also get the Pandaren Brewmaster in the Tavern as well.