Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yes all the 5,000 students in evergreen college are one hive and the few who are making themselves look like idiots represent everyone
    I agree with your point that painting all students in a bad light because of the actions of a few dozen is ridiculous and unfair.

However, the actions of George Bridges in this are appalling and reflect terribly on the values of the university as a whole. His dedication to quasi-religious sounding invocations about diversity and the bizarre opening to his speeches is a window into how peculiar certain parts of universities are.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I agree with your point that painting all students in a bad light because of the actions of a few dozen is ridiculous and unfair.

However, the actions of George Bridges in this are appalling and reflect terribly on the values of the university as a whole. His dedication to quasi-religious sounding invocations about diversity and the bizarre opening to his speeches is a window into how peculiar certain parts of universities are.
    Well, I'd say when the opinions of those minority reach a critical mass capable of inflicting their views upon others in a physical, tangible way, I'd say it has become a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, I'd say when the opinions of those minority reach a critical mass capable of inflicting their views upon others in a physical, tangible way, I'd say it has become a problem.
    Well, yeah, but the problem is with the administration. You're always going to have 1% of of students that are a bunch of little assholes. That's going to be the case everywhere forever. The problem is when they're lauded rather than punished by the administration. I expect 19 year old kids to occasionally behave badly, but when the adults in the room condone the behavior, you know that it's because they actually kinda like their political opponents getting roughed up. Punch a Nazi, right? Well, turns out Bret Weinstein is the Nazi!

And when the administration support this, then it really is a problem. This is why the idea of restricting public funds to such a place holds some weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yes all the 5,000 students in evergreen college are one hive and the few who are making themselves look like idiots represent everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    That's exactly how this works. Remember, this whole country is racist because some hated Obama.
    Nice strawman right there. No actual rebuttal to anything else that was said so you respond to something that was very much not. You might want to quote the "all" otherwise get out of here. There's more than "a few" who run around with baseball bats and are at the forefront with a huge number behind them to allow and support these actions including large parts of the faculty.

I love this two pronged approach though. First you build a strawman "all" then you beat up on it. Before turning around and claiming that it's only "a few". Which simply does not compute from the sheer ammount of people we have seen participating in it, how they are allowed to mob anyone who disagrees, how most of the faculty is in clear support of it aswell as how far they managed to push these things and how they managed to establish them as facts on the campus.

Here's the thing. How do you know it's a "tiny minority". From all we've seen they are numerous enough to use mob tactics and effectively shut down the entirety of the university. These are only the most outspoken and aggressive people of their movement aswell as their leadership. Many more seem to be in direct support of their actions.

This has gone so far that anyone who speaks up against it or does not effectively cower before their established new reality and rules is mobbed and driven off. Supported by the principle and administration at large. These are not 5-10 people who just are a bit uppity. It's a huge crowd who patrols the campus with baseball bats and is endorsed by the administration itself and appears to have widespread support in the student body given where they initially came down before this blew up.
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2017-06-10 at 05:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Oh shit! You found me out.

I think the students are fucking idiots as well but stop pretending that this is for any reason that isn't because of their ideology.
    Yeah, that must be why they are trying to do this with every single university in the country since they are all liberal bastions...

Oh wait no, its just this one extremist racist retarded school.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Nice strawman right there. No actual rebuttal to anything else that was said so you respond to something that was very much not. You might want to quote the "all" otherwise get out of here. There's more than "a few" who run around with baseball bats and are at the forefront with a huge number behind them to allow and support these actions including large parts of the faculty.

I love this two pronged approach though. First you build a strawman "all" then you beat up on it. Before turning around and claiming that it's only "a few". Which simply does not compute from the sheer ammount of people we have seen participating in it, how they are allowed to mob anyone who disagrees, how most of the faculty is in clear support of it aswell as how far they managed to push these things and how they managed to establish them as facts on the campus.
    Bro. I'm not agreeing with him. I'm mocking him since we can't decide whether the few represents the whole. Because ignore these fuckers but one dude handing out retarded flyers means there are Nazis fucking everywhere.

I'm pretty liberal about this stuff but this is on the administration. You can't let a bunch of idiot college kids hold your campus hostage. You want to foster a free exchange of ideas, that's great, but not at the expense of extreme disruption to school activities and death threats. The administration needs to grow a collective spine and tell these little shits to go back to class. Defunding the school is not the answer, it's a Republican publicity stunt, nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah, that must be why they are trying to do this with every single university in the country since they are all liberal bastions...

Oh wait no, its just this one extremist racist retarded school.
    Why doesn't anyone understand what racism is anymore? This is not racism. This is an attempt at racial segregation. It's wrong and dumb and should be put down, but it's not racism.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Why doesn't anyone understand what racism is anymore? This is not racism. This is an attempt at racial segregation. It's wrong and dumb and should be put down, but it's not racism.
    Its literal discrimination against people because of their skin color.

That is what racism is buddy, unless you are some BLM rioter who thinks its impossible to be racist against whites.

Deleted
    Bro. I'm not agreeing with him. I'm mocking him since we can't decide whether the few represents the whole. Because ignore these fuckers but one dude handing out retarded flyers means there are Nazis fucking everywhere.
    Issue is, it's hard to tell sarcasm from someone genuinely using the pure hypocrisy that is necessary to make these arguments. It's a bit how they can constantly switch between individual and collectivism on a "when it benefits them" basis. Then again his argument was silly because "all" was never said, merely a huge number/mayority which given the actions of the student body and administration at large is way closer to the truth than "just a few troublemakers".
    You might want to give us your definition of racism so people can tear it apart, does it feature something about institutional power? Because even then it would be fulfilled as these students have the principal on their side.

This is literal racism. It's discrimination based on ethnicity/race in it's most blatant form. The things these people believe and are shouting only makes it one of the most egrious cases in recent history. One should go through it and flip the entire thing on it's head just to see the reactions.
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2017-06-10 at 05:12 PM.

Here's the thing. How do you know it's a "tiny minority". From all we've seen they are numerous enough to use mob tactics and effectively shut down the entirety of the university. These are only the most outspoken and aggressive people of their movement aswell as their leadership. Many more seem to be in direct support of their actions.

This has gone so far that anyone who speaks up against it or does not effectively cower before their established new reality and rules is mobbed and driven off. Supported by the principle and administration at large. These are not 5-10 people who just are a bit uppity. It's a huge crowd who patrols the campus with baseball bats and is endorsed by the administration itself and appears to have widespread support in the student body given where they initially came down before this blew up.
    I think the core of it is that you don't need many people when your shows of force and threats of violence will be ignored or backed by the administration and police force while your opponents would swiftly be punished for the same. Even if they actually only have a few dozen students, they have a few dozen students that have the backing of the university to behave like the Western equivalent of a mutaween in the name of educating a bunch of evil racists.

This is what happens when you let corporate culture infiltrate higher education. If you think of your students as a well paying clientele, and not as kids who are there to get an education, you don't have any choice but to cave to whatever the loudest among them says they want. The administration has no spine because they are beholden to profit, which is embodied in the whims and persons of the students. Get the profit motive the fuck out of higher education, transform college kids from profit into people, and you'll restore the ability of educators and administrators to tell kids being idiots to shut the hell up.

The measure is still also hurting those that either cower and play along to not be hurt, or those victimized by the mob. Those will likely either see higher cost for their education, or the place shut down. And good luck to them finding a new university with this kind of stigma behind them.
    Note, I am not against punishing wrongdoers. I simply dislike punishing the whole student body for the actions of part of it, even if that part should be the majority.

Issue is, it's hard to tell sarcasm from someone genuinely using the pure hypocrisy that is necessary to make these arguments. It's a bit how they can constantly switch between individual and collectivism on a "when it benefits them" basis. Then again his argument was silly because "all" was never said, merely a huge number/mayority which given the actions of the student body and administration at large is way closer to the truth than "just a few troublemakers".

You might want to give us your definition of racism so people can tear it apart, does it feature something about institutional power? Because even then it would be fulfilled as these students have the principal on their side.

This is literal racism. It's discrimination based on ethnicity/race in it's most blatant form. The things these people believe and are shouting only makes it one of the most egrious cases in recent history. One should go through it and flip the entire thing on it's head just to see the reactions.
    Okay. We're on the same page now.

The best part of that dodge is ignoring the FACULTY enabling this because those are totes random crazies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The measure is still also hurting those that either cower and play along to not be hurt, or those victimized by the mob. Those will likely either see higher cost for their education, or the place shut down. And good luck to them finding a new university with this kind of stigma behind them.
    Note, I am not against punishing wrongdoers. I simply dislike punishing the whole student body for the actions of part of it, even if that part should be the majority.
    Student financial aid isn't being touched, per the OP.

If the faculty is cowering and playing along with this garbage, they:

1. Don't deserve to be faculty

Or

2. Don't deserve money to keep playing along with racist garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Republicans chomping at the bit to privatize institutions that don't espouse their own political views.
    Are you fucking trolling? Are you unable to recognize what is happening on that campus?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The obvious solution would be defunding the garbage departments while explicitly avoiding harm to non-garbage departments. It's really not that hard to figure out who's causing the trouble.

rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/
    noun
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Again, this isn't meant to indicate that I support what they are doing or to say that it's impossible to be racist against white people. What I'm saying is that the dictionary definition includes either some sort of racial supremacy belief OR involves ascribing personal traits to a race of people. That's different from racial segregation. If you want to "tear apart" the dictionary definition of racism, you can try, I guess.
    Beta Club Brosquad

rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/
    noun
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Again, this isn't meant to indicate that I support what they are doing or to say that it's impossible to be racist against white people. What I'm saying is that the dictionary definition includes either some sort of racial supremacy belief OR involves ascribing personal traits to a race of people. That's different from racial segregation. If you want to "tear apart" the dictionary definition of racism, you can try, I guess.
    Too bad activists generally avoid the dictionary definition when calling things racist. You'd have a point if so many fucking things weren't deemed racist.

Deleted
    Non whites : You are not allowed in

Whites: OK white people lets make our own place then

Non Whites : Racists.

Just defund them and remove scholarships and funds from students found to be pushing segregation or enforcing their ideology by violence. Or better yet expel them

Too bad activists generally avoid the dictionary definition when calling things racist. You'd have a point if so many fucking things weren't deemed racist.
    And it's wrong then too. Crying wolf about racism in stupid situations is one reason why actual real racism continues to thrive, because racists look at the stupid shit dumb college kids call "racism" and just dismiss any and all accusations of racism as crying wolf. By playing fast and loose with the definitions of words we dilute their meaning.
    Beta Club Brosquad