Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    However FFXIV has a lot of great looking gear as well. Basically the only set of equipment in WoW that's even on this game's level is the Golden King (Challenge Mode) set. In WoW it's basically go get a set of tier gear and look like everyone else.

How often in wow do we see half naked orcs who call themselves warriors but we ourselves cannot run around in loincloths and rend the flesh of our enemies, bare-chested as our manhood swings full? i mean its in every piece of artwork, it's essentially orc heritage, but players can't have that. you have so much more freedom to do whatever you want and make your character look however you like in FFXIV.
    The Orgrimmar chestpiece + transmogging feature, says hello. It's entirely possible to run around looking like a clown should one so desire in WoW. And tier sets are only "like everyone else" several expansions down the line, when the 99% that DOESN'T raid properly, can solo for pieces. By then, the top 1% is decked out in new Mythic tier sets with special effects on them.

And "on this games level", is entirely subjective. To some, everything in WoW > everything in FFXIV in terms of looks and appeal (how much the player wants it).

I always enjoyed the very stylized, class-tailored sets of WoW. There's a reason why the Judgment set still is viewed as the most iconic, and it's from Classic. It outperforms new sets with high def textures and effects without issue on polls thanks to just how iconic it is. I imagine that 10 years from now, the ToS sets will be just as good looking to players. WoW's style ages very well.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-06-10 at 11:00 PM.

Why is this a game vs game thread? I get that you feel threatened that people are playing another game than you are but can't we just keep the WoW stuff in the WoW threads??

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Why is this a game vs game thread? I get that you feel threatened that people are playing another game than you are but can't we just keep the WoW stuff in the WoW threads??
    Discussing another game and comparing their features makes people feel threatened? Uhm ok then. Didn't realise we aren't allowed to talk about how each game does similar systems such as transmog in it's own way. Oh wait we are because it's not game vs game my bad.

If anything people in this thread so far have shown they feel threatened the moment people brought WoW in to compare it's systems that it shares with FF14. Me personally I love both games and I think both do something better than the other.

If you have a problem with people comparing games then use the ignore function or report it for game vs game. Problem solved. You won't get far though sadly since comparing two games for use of discussion is perfectly fine. Now if someone posted to bash one game or the other in their comparison now that would be blatant game vs game posting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The Orgrimmar chestpiece + transmogging feature, says hello. It's entirely possible to run around looking like a clown should one so desire in WoW. And tier sets are only "like everyone else" several expansions down the line, when the 99% that DOESN'T raid properly, can solo for pieces. By then, the top 1% is decked out in new Mythic tier sets with special effects on them.

And "on this games level", is entirely subjective. To some, everything in WoW > everything in FFXIV in terms of looks and appeal (how much the player wants it).

I always enjoyed the very stylized, class-tailored sets of WoW. There's a reason why the Judgment set still is viewed as the most iconic, and it's from Classic. It outperforms new sets with high def textures and effects without issue on polls thanks to just how iconic it is. I imagine that 10 years from now, the ToS sets will be just as good looking to players. WoW's style ages very well.
    As I said. Both games have some of the most amazing pieces of gear I've ever seen but neither are immune to the ugly ones. But again me calling gear pieces ugly is an opinion.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-11 at 01:05 PM.

Healthy discussion and comparing games that people enjoy =/= game vs game. Who's feeling "threatened" (lolwut?) I wonder...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny how people are so critical about anything Blizzard says, but here you chose to just believe what the FF guys say?
    Might be because Blizzard has a bad reputation when it comes down to these things, not claiming they deserve nearly half the hate they get.

Meanwhile FF14's lead designer is universally loved by the community, now Square as a whole? Not so much.

What I've always been more curious about when it comes down to their subscribers is not the whole number, but the regional comparisons between the EU, US, and the Japan player base. I have a friend who is currently in Japan as a student, and every gaming lounge he goes to does not have a single Blizzard game installed on the computers, and all of them have FF14 ready to go. I've always found regional data more interesting than overall sub count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Might be because Blizzard has a bad reputation when it comes down to these things, not claiming they deserve nearly half the hate they get.

Meanwhile FF14's lead designer is universally loved by the community, now Square as a whole? Not so much.

What I've always been more curious about when it comes down to their subscribers is not the whole number, but the regional comparisons between the EU, US, and the Japan player base. I have a friend who is currently in Japan as a student, and every gaming lounge he goes to does not have a single Blizzard game installed on the computers, and all of them have FF14 ready to go. I've always found regional data more interesting than overall sub count.
    Japan is also fiercely xenophobic which means they'll likely tend to lean on national resources versus foreign. This includes entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Discussing another game and comparing their features makes people feel threatened? Uhm ok then. Didn't realise we aren't allowed to talk about how each game does similar systems such as transmog in it's own way. Oh wait we are because it's not game vs game my bad.

If anything people in this thread so far have shown they feel threatened the moment people brought WoW in to compare it's systems that it shares with FF14. Me personally I love both games and I think both do something better than the other.

If you have a problem with people comparing games then use the ignore function or report it for game vs game. Problem solved. You won't get far though sadly since comparing two games for use of discussion is perfectly fine. Now if someone posted to bash one game or the other in their comparison now that would be blatant game vs game posting.
    It's against the rules of the forums. Game vs game threads aren't allowed. We just wanted to discuss FFXIV but you just can't help yourself can you?
    Last edited by Echo of Soul; 2017-06-11 at 03:28 PM.

It's against the rules of the forums. Game vs game threads aren't allowed. We just wanted to discuss FFXIV but you just can't help yourself can you?
    Then report it as such or use ignore. Healthy discussion of 2 games systems is perfectly fine on this forum as long as it doesn't devolve. If a mod comes in and tells me to stop comparing the style features of 2 different games in terms of a healthy discussion then I will. Until then I will have the discussion with other posters unless it devolves into blatant game bashing.

Also I never brought WoW in initially but nice try with that whole "you can't help yourself" line. I was mainly discussing and comparing how each game handles it's style with someone as well as discussing some of their points with what I like about BOTH games.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-11 at 03:37 PM.

I always laugh when people try to tell me this game is not as successful as wow.

It's got that old school style and doesn't deliver 6 modes of difficulty to you as "content". And the team isn't giving the raid community the middle finger by axing it's most popular form of raiding and defaulting to the less popular platform of raiding for no fucking apparent reason. It's no surprise they have been very successful.
    It's not as successful. Whether you think it is better or worse is irrelevant.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Funny because on Reddit when new Diadem came out there were people calling for him to be sacked among other things. Not saying Yoshida-San is a bad Director but he and his team have made choices I do not agree with. Specifically new Diadem and the idea that RNG should be playing a part in that place. I have the utmost respect for him but he and the team have made some questioning decisions over the 3 years.

As for future stuff. This whole 1 dungeon per Odd numbered patch has me a bit sceptical because if the new content is unpopular then it will have all been for nothing. Aka Verminion or Diadem style stuff.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-11 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah thats how the japanese gaming media sells things that in the west we call "lifetime players". Thats not the same as active players. Its not in a slump or a user decline so servers are packed and thats good enough, i'd rather not see it become the next mainstream casual infested shithole
    "I don't want this game to be popular"? Is this a poorly disguised "I don't know why people prefer WoW and it bothers me"?

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah thats how the japanese gaming media sells things that in the west we call "lifetime players". Thats not the same as active players. Its not in a slump or a user decline so servers are packed and thats good enough, i'd rather not see it become the next mainstream casual infested shithole
    So you would rather the game risk dying than it having a chance to bring in more players? I've heard this in another forum before and it's a very silly stance to take. I would rather bring in more kinds of players than just appeal to one kind. FF14 does that well and it can do it even better as well as appealing to hardcore players.

Deleted
    . This gear wasn't going to be available to players who didn't do challenge modes. I mean, that is what they said... Isn't it?
    The gear yes but no one says anything about skins
    Back to topic
    MMOchamp should create subforums for that much players then.Personally i believe that this is more commersial trick

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Funny because on Reddit when new Diadem came out there were people calling for him to be sacked among other things. Not saying Yoshida-San is a bad Director but he and his team have made choices I do not agree with. Specifically new Diadem and the idea that RNG should be playing a part in that place. I have the utmost respect for him but he and the team have made some questioning decisions over the 3 years.

As for future stuff. This whole 1 dungeon per Odd numbered patch has me a bit sceptical because if the new content is unpopular then it will have all been for nothing. Aka Verminion or Diadem style stuff.
    Oh of course, the new Diadem blew up in the teams face, I was not claiming Yoshida-San was perfect, it's just when he's brought up it's almost always in high regard.

Perhaps respected is the better word.

Honestly, what I'm more curious about is the Super Savage, and the fact the team is shooting around the idea of Savage level small group content.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    "I don't want this game to be popular"? Is this a poorly disguised "I don't know why people prefer WoW and it bothers me"?
    The issue comes in how the game becomes popular, if you become popular by shitting on your existing loyal community then the sentiment is understandable.

I can think of tons of decisions during my long time playing WoW that slowly pushed me away making me realize the game just not for me any more. (Which is fine.) However when you're invested and loyal to a game it's not a pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Where does it come from? They have been up front about what counts as a subscriber, right? But from the moment MMO C reported subs in the quarterly reports, people went in and claimed "Oh, they lie"
    Well any one who thinks Blizzard lied about their Subs is fooling themselves.

The answer of where does the mistrust/reputation come from? Disconnect between the developers and the people who play the game would be my guess.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-06-11 at 04:10 PM.
    I AM the victim.

Oh of course, the new Diadem blew up in the teams face, I was not claiming Yoshida-San was perfect, it's just when he's brought up it's almost always in high regard.

Perhaps respected is the better word.

Honestly, what I'm more curious about is the Super Savage, and the fact the team is shooting around the idea of Savage level small group content.
    Honestly 24 man Savage is fine, Savage dungeons even better but 8 player seriously needs a 3rd difficulty if Savage right now can be cleared in a day or two.

I don't particuliarly see anything wrong with discussing how different games do things when it comes to Transmogs and the like. If it was a post breaking down each different and listing which game did it better or whatever then I could see the need to take offense to it. But as others have said if you think it crosses the line report the post.

I mean to me the more important thing to discuss is you know, the thread title and that topic.

FFXIV, like Rift, will always have a special place in my heart. It seemed like a great game, and while I've been told numerous times I need to level higher than (20 I think was the trial?) the combat just felt so slow with the GCD or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    FFXIV, like Rift, will always have a special place in my heart. It seemed like a great game, and while I've been told numerous times I need to level higher than (20 I think was the trial?) the combat just felt so slow with the GCD or something.
    Lower level content is slow but it's true FF14 as a game gets better the further along you get. Around level 54(*COUGH* Felcleave *COUGH*) was when I really fell in love with my own job WAR.
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 million, well i don't think and pretty much i don't know, it happend the same than WoW, they dont really realease sub numbers anymore
    The New World of Warcraft Expansion: "Corgis Unleashed"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The Orgrimmar chestpiece + transmogging feature, says hello.
    it's literally one piece of gear, the only piece of gear lol and it really doesn't look very savage compared to artwork of orcs.

I have always been disappointed in wow, ever since I started playing, when gear didn't look like the icons they were given. how lazy is that? i think the death knight set from throne of thunder is one of the most atrocious low quality pieces of garbage wow ever pushed. when you get a piece of class gear, i think it is okay if someone says "i like this more so this is what i am going to wear over it" but i think if your playerbase is saying "wow thanks blizz for transmog id be so upset right now if i didn't have it" you have basically failed as a designer.

I have seen some gear like that in FFXIV before, but syrcus tower was a long time ago and honestly players dont really say things like that because there is so much to choose from. But I personally think it's pointless to make a video game and not make your art a key element of it. That game should be seeing a lot more culturally relevant gear that looks good.

It's not as successful.
    It's been very successful at being successful.

Having an MMO go and look like it is going to keep going is the definition of being successful. But who'd want to be the definition of successful as presented by wow anyway? All that money, not doing anything with it. It ain't coming back to your game or is, by and large, being wasted on a small minority of players.

The fact that a game that would have been "successful" at launch with "only" 500k subscribers (which is a number that was well exceeded requiring the implementation of new datacenters) is boasting a similar level quality product compared to this invincible unstoppable titan really says a lot about development at Blizzard.

Class quests were a big thing to people the last time I played. Something FFXIV has so effortlessly delivered. Just feels like World of Warcraft got too big to listen to anybody outside of their building.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-06-11 at 04:22 PM.