Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    In 2050. LOL. Cheap. LOOOL. You millennials live in quite the dream world huh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Probably. Healthy food just tastes better for me personally.
    Oh gawd, what a joke. Im sure if you have children tyey ate 9erfect angels because youre just so good at raising them. If only we could all be like you.

Even if fillings were 100% free I'd still try to manage my diet and brush my teeth because fillings freaking suck.

Even if they could resurrect me from death, I'd still do my best to avoid it because death, as far as any of us can tell, freaking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    In 2050. LOL. Cheap. LOOOL. You millennials live in quite the dream world huh.
    After seeing the unprecedented explosion of growth in technology just during my lifetime I'm not ruling anything out. Plus it's a thought experiment anyway, so lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Please don't tell me that's actually a thing... Sounds as uncomparably delicious as deep fried twinkies at carnivals.
    Fixed. You have not lived until you have eaten a deep fried twinkie.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-06-10 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gael40 View Post
    There is an interruption of consciousness when you die and your clone wakes up. It seems that you care only about your information, not your actual self, and in a sense this is correct because we are nothing but information, but this goes against every instinct a human has.
    Meh, I have an interruption of consciousness almost every day. Most people call it sleep. Some call it one too many shots.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Could you be more explicit in your definition of "unhealthy" here? I honestly feel great when I eat a burger and fries.
    You just don't know what it feels like to not have saturated fat clogging your arteries and bloating your intestines. That's not to say people don't feel great in the moment where they eat sugar or fat, of course you do, but you will have less energy, your brain will experience withdrawal and you'll feel like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    sounds like one of those cop out excuses people use to justify eating junk food over healthy food.
    As I've seen from your posting history, you don't live in America, so I highly doubt you know much of the situation here, especially in poorer states.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    When it comes to cooking, I think the average person would be well served to place a very low marginal value on their time. Most people have plenty of time to cook a reasonable dinner and the full extent of the obligation here would be giving up 15-20 minutes of TV or internet time (assuming ~15-20 minutes prep time and an hour cook time for a typical meal).
    Even cooking, buying healthy ingredients is often more expensive than cheap processed foods. Then there's the concept of time, where a lot of people at or below the poverty line are working multiple jobs, leaving little time to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Holy fuck. If we banned everyone that simply posted for attention-whoring purposes half the site would go dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    if they could reverse Carbs to have a fat burning effect, I would live on Fried Chicken Donut Burgers.
    This looks like something I have to try at least once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think that at some point in the 2030s or 2040s we'll have injectable nanobots that will effectively keep your cholesterol in check and body fat % in a healthy range. Once that's proven technology, you can bet your ass I'll live off bourbon, beer, wings, pizza and steak.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    But it's still not you. It is not your consciousness.

This isn't difficult.

How does cloning yourself after death benefit you in any way? You won't know that "you"(the clone) are still alive, you're dead, your consciousness has ceased to exist. The you that died gains nothing from a clone continuing to live without a transfer of consciousness, it is a completely separate entity, your existence has ended.
    Except that the original you wouldn't know that you are dead. Direct transfer of consciousness or a copy implanted into the new body? Doesn't make one shred of difference, it would still be YOU waking up in the new body, as if you just woke up from a nights sleep. Ofc there would be the lingering thoughts about how your original body is gone, and it would probably feel weird at first, but that's not what you are arguing against.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    As I've seen from your posting history, you don't live in America, so I highly doubt you know much of the situation here, especially in poorer states.
    I actually live in Australia, which has one of the most expensive food industries in the World.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    This looks like something I have to try at least once.
    You would be amazed at just how good it is. But 1 is enough for like 3 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that the original you wouldn't know that you are dead.
    Yes, because you're fucking dead, you don't know anything anymore because you have ceased being alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    it would still be YOU waking up in the new body
    No, it would be a COPY of you waking up in the new body... YOU are the original, not the copy. If you die, and the copy gets created to replace you, YOU, the original, will not suddenly start experiencing life through the copy's body, you are fucking dead, your existence is over. This system does not extend your life past death if you take additional risks and end up getting yourself killed... You still have every reason to fear death, because if you die, you are gone, a copy is created to live on as if it were you, and it would believe it is, essentially only accomplishing making your friends and family not feel like you have died... But you, the original consciousness, have died, your life is over, your journey is done.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

So what if I told you that you were killed at night while asleep once a week, and replaced with a clone who had your memories. It's the exact same principle.

When you wake up tomorrow, you don't know that anything has changed. You might be the 500th clone for all we know, but you still think you are the original.

Also, the OP was about transferring the original consciousness directly into a new body, not copy/pasting it, so that kind of makes all your complains and arguments invalid anyway. Actually, when I think about it, we are already doing this, just on a smaller scale. We are already replacing individual faulty organs, the only difference is that in this example the entire body is replaced.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2017-06-11 at 06:02 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I don't think we will have that kind of tech by 2050, maybe by 2150 if we don't all die from disease and famine brought on by climate change before then.

Even if something like this were available (and affordable) within my lifetime, I would probably eat healthy with the occasional burger or pizza. I hate how sick I feel when I eat too much junk food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    So what if I told you that you were killed at night while asleep once a week, and replaced with a clone who had your memories. It's the exact same principle.
    The tech doesn't exist, so, no. and you say that as if I shouldn't be bothered that someone is sneaking into my house once a week and murdering me.

When you wake up tomorrow, you don't know that anything has changed. You might be the 500th clone for all we know, but you still think you are the original.
    Correction, when the clone wakes up tomorrow the clone doesn't know anything has changed, but the original entity is still dead, their consciousness was destroyed and replaced with a copy, they do not suddenly start living on as the copy, they are dead... Just because the clone doesn't know any different doesn't make the original any less dead.

I seriously don't get how people continually fail to grasp the concept of this.

If I clone you while you're still alive, you don't experience anything the clone does, it's a completely separate entity, that holds true if you are dead. You and the clone have different consciousness, if you die, you are dead, you don't start experiencing life as the clone, the clone is not you, it is a separate entity.

Also, the OP was about transferring the original consciousness directly into a new body, not copy/pasting it, so that kind of makes all your complains and arguments invalid anyway.
    Not in the event of death, that is in the event of "hey I want a new body because I got fat/broke my leg/whatever, cook me up one and transfer me in"... Re read the OP, he specifically mentions a backup copy stored "in case of sudden death", that is copy/paste, not transferal, and that sudden death contingency is what this entire comment string you jumped into is about.

Actually, when I think about it, we are already doing this, just on a smaller scale. We are already replacing individual faulty organs
    Except it isn't, because those organs don't contain our consciousness.

the only difference is that in this example the entire body is replaced.
    and the entire body being replaced, without a transferal of consciousness, is death of the original.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-06-11 at 07:04 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Yes I would still eat healthy because I want muscular arms and shoulders and a lean, narrow waistline as opposed to being a blob on life support hoping I don't die changing bodies/bodyparts (doesnt matter if its fuckin free)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    You just don't know what it feels like to not have saturated fat clogging your arteries and bloating your intestines. That's not to say people don't feel great in the moment where they eat sugar or fat, of course you do, but you will have less energy, your brain will experience withdrawal and you'll feel like shit.

You realize that dietary fat doesn't "clog your arteries" the moment you consume it, right? I do feel a bit fat lately because I've let myself get carried away and am up to ~13% body fat, but under no circumstances would anyone that knows me characterize me as fat and low energy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    Even cooking, buying healthy ingredients is often more expensive than cheap processed foods. Then there's the concept of time, where a lot of people at or below the poverty line are working multiple jobs, leaving little time to do anything.
    This is mostly false. As I laid out in this post:
    They don't work much, on average. Per CBPP (a pro-SNAP entity):
    About 93 percent of SNAP benefits go to households with incomes below the poverty line, and 58 percent go to households below half of the poverty line (about $10,080 for a family of three in 2016).
    Some quick math tells us that $10K/year at minimum wage is 1390 hours of work (less in many states). That's a shade under 27 hours/week.

Put another way, more than half of SNAP spending goes to households that work less than 27 hours/week.

Put another another, it's wrong to say that SNAP recipients don't work, but accurate to say that they don't work much.
    I'd have to go find the data, but my recollection is that the average person watches ~5 hours/day of television and that the number is higher for the low income. The average poor American literally spends more time watching TV than working. They're not that busy for the most part.

Also, by definition, working a large number of hours puts someone above the poverty line.

since healthy food tastes better to me, than fast food - yeah, probably
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Deleted
    Id rather have it run on petroleum or coal but whatevs.. yea I'd still eat healthy. Id feel less guilty about drinking moonshine though.. and home made wine, cider and all the other stuff.