Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question FellowLoreNerds! Does Illidan....

So I love the lore of Warcraft. Romantic Lore is especially "squee" to me.

I've read 2 novels but I'm saving up to afford more. This leads me to my question:

The Illidan of the current content: Does he still "love" Tyrande? (Bonus question: Did he ever actually love her? Or just want her?) CAN he still love?

I understand this is mostly speculative. But I WANT MOAR! lol

Follow up: Illidan and Malfurion's feels?

Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    So I love the lore of Warcraft. Romantic Lore is especially "squee" to me.

I've read 2 novels but I'm saving up to afford more. This leads me to my question:

The Illidan of the current content: Does he still "love" Tyrande? (Bonus question: Did he ever actually love her? Or just want her?) CAN he still love?

I understand this is mostly speculative. But I WANT MOAR! lol

Follow up: Illidan and Malfurion's feels?
    He definitely loved her.

Now whether or not he still has a soft spot for her is questionable after everything he's been through and what he's working to achieve.

There maybe still some love in his demon heart for her but he must realize that ship sailed centuries ago!

His last thoughts before going into the crystal were for her. Then a whole lot of nothing until this expansion. I'm fairly certain he still has the hots for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    This, essentially.

It's possible this will become a central theme of where Illidan goes in the future - Seeing as we're essentially dismantling the Legion at this point, what does Illidan do from here on?

Adding to this: Maybe instead of Illidan or Malfurion's feels, we should be considering TYRANDE'S feels? Which are already clear - She loves Malfurion. Case closed.
    Yeah there's really not much of a discussion to be had here. Tyrande was always a one-elf girl and Illidan was going to be a workaholic no matter what.

...It was his, destiny?

Granted, so is Malfurion. He left dat ass on hold for many moons to go surfing in some stupid dream. At least Illidan did something with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    He definitely loved her.

Now whether or not he still has a soft spot for her is questionable after everything he's been through and what he's working to achieve.
    DID he love her? I know I'm getting a bit deep here but he claimed to love her as he did things he knew would drive her away from him. Did he love her or just WANT her? As he wants power, as he wants acknowledgement, as he still does both?

I've no doubt he cared for her in his own way but what I do doubt is that his several complexes combined with his self-imposed competition with Malfurion is that he was capable of loving himself let alone Tyrande.

Yes, he probably still does love her, but not in the romantic sense anymore. I'd guess that after being rejected that many times, he's realized that it won't happen. But as a person he's loved for ten thousand years, he probably will always hold a place in his heart for her.

i hope he doesn't.

i want that shit over with, it's dumb, it's annoying. it's the one real flaw in an otherwise cool character(well, the big thing that might happen to him is a flaw too, but this is kinda worse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Adding to this: Maybe instead of Illidan or Malfurion's feels, we should be considering TYRANDE'S feels? Which are already clear - She loves Malfurion. Case closed.
    Well yes, obviously this. Illidan's unrequited...whatever it was is interesting but no one can ever deny Tyrande's stance on it. Malfurion is her mate, in lore and in game. They compliment each other: the patience of nature and the inevitable coming of Moonlight. Stoic vs a timely hurry.

He definitely did and does love her.

Have you checked out warcraft 3? Here are some of the quotes

Tyrande first speaks to Illidan before freeing him: "Tyrande... it is your voice! After all these ages spent in darkness, your voice is like the pure light of the moon upon my mind"

After Tyrande says the demons have returned: "Because I once cared for you, Tyrande, I will hunt down the demons. But I will never owe our people anything!"]

When Malfurion says that Tyrande is dead because of their chase of him his "What?!" sounds like he's almost gasping for air. He then says "Believe me, brother, despite all our differences, you know I would never lead Tyrande to harm. Let me help you. My naga can scour the river for us! Let me do this, at least."

I mean the last thing he saw in his mind before he died was Tyrande. I'd say he definitely does.

Oh right and this line after he's already become a demon after consuming the skull: "Whatever I may be--whatever I may become in this world--know that I will always look out for you, Tyrande."
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2017-06-11 at 05:40 AM.

There's a line between love and obsession, that Illidan clearly crosses.

The problem with Illidan is his arrogance. He thinks himself worthy of grovelling before. Someone to whom all others are lesser. That doesn't really lend itself to befriending anyone. And he's not had a lot of time to date either. I mean, he was a young guy, not long of age. Then there was war and his quick rise to power. Then 10.000 years in a cage. Then another war in which he became demon. Then pretty much desperate conflicts, an obsession with a plan, and death again.

So pretty much, the only two women he's spend any real time with in his life, are Tyrande, and Maiev.

So, can you call it love? It was certainly a crush. I've had that quite a few times. In a few of those instances, I'd have even called it love. But Illidan was rejected. His anger as a result is a part of the coping process, so he may have moved on. Or he may be obsessed. It's unclear how he currently thinks of her. If she is still in his mind as the one source of friendship he's known in his life, or if he still longs for her. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Honestly if Illidan ever does some big redeeming act, I can see Maiev and Illidan hooking up, even if only for a night or two. Big obsession between those two. If that ever moves away from hatred... They'd both regret it afterwards, no doubt.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-06-11 at 06:05 AM.

He absolutely loved her, but he is on the verge of realizing that there's always been someone else, someone who's thought about him night and day, someone who would follow him to the end of the world (and has)... "Illidan & Maiev sitting in a tree..."

"I'll shackle you like the beast you are."
    "Do what you do best and follow me."

There is still time for a happy ending.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2017-06-11 at 06:13 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

He's clearly still in love with her. Revealing the last thing he thought of before dying in BC was her, and how he's only fighting to save Azeroth because she's on it indicates this.

Illidan's a selfish asshole. I really don't think he'd be spearheading the fight against the Legion if she was dead. At most, he'd go for revenge against whomever killed her and then just gave up. Probably would kill himself or just resign the fate of the world to destruction, like Ra-Den does when we first encounter him.

He still loves her but it's likely that he has given up trying to win her over already. Tyrande chose Malfurion before the competition even began.

Illidan aint some horny teenager any more trying to compete with his brother for the love of a woman.

He knows Tyrande belongs to malfurion now and that his mission in life is to destroy the burning legion.

You guys are misinterpreting his vision before he died in the Black Temple. His (and by extension all demon hunters') main thing is sacrificing EVERYTHING to defeat the Legion. When he was dying he was confused as to why he was defeated, and then he realized that he forgot to sacrifice one last thing. His personal feelings. That's why he bears no grudge towards Maiev or anyone else for that matter in Legion, he has sacrificed his ego.

To sum it up, no, current Illidan no longer loves or even cares about Tyrande or anyone else for that matter. His sole goal is to defeat Sargeras at any cost.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    DID he love her?
    yes, else his last thought when he died in the black temple wouldnt be about tyrande.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    He's clearly still in love with her. Revealing the last thing he thought of before dying in BC was her, and how he's only fighting to save Azeroth because she's on it indicates this.

Illidan's a selfish asshole. I really don't think he'd be spearheading the fight against the Legion if she was dead. At most, he'd go for revenge against whomever killed her and then just gave up. Probably would kill himself or just resign the fate of the world to destruction, like Ra-Den does when we first encounter him.
    Hes' what you get when you juice up 10,000 years of friendzone with fel energy. I really don't know why people like this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Hes' what you get when you juice up 10,000 years of friendzone with fel energy. I really don't know why people like this character.
    I'm with you. He sucks. And their "bandaid" to the abomination that was Burning Crusade was somehow even worse, and I didn't think that was possible.

I must say the amount of 'courtesans' i killed in Black temple must tell me the dude has a sexual appetite like Charlie Sheen but clearly even with all the sex in the world Tyrande is still the one he wants. Clearly that girl must swallow or something!