Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yeah ive seen worse and this isnt uncommon anywhere in the world. Its common in U.S,U.K any 1st world nations slums/ghettos
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin
    They have come to the point where they will purposely back up and run over again to make sure the victim is dead because it's cheaper for them to compensate the family rather than be stuck with their medical bills...and i'm not sure if it's still working this way but the person that brings them to hospital are responsible for paying their medical bills
    Posting without additional comment: http://www.snopes.com/chinese-drivers-kill-pedestrians

It’s not uncommon for egregious misinterpretations of Chinese life and culture to filter into mainstream Western news sources; and that problem has intensified with social media’s boundless appetite for offbeat news. Slate‘s piece on why Chinese drivers purportedly kill the pedestrians they hit proved popular on social media, but its claims were weakly supported.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    I think the title means chinese people are shocked by the video (Meaning, they're shocked by the fact that the woman was hit and nobody gave a fuck), not the people in the video per se.
    Yeah, and my point was that why would Chinese people watching the video be any more shocked than Chinese people walking by the lady. It's easier to be shocked at home at your computer than right next to the person who just dies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö
    It's easier to be shocked at home at your computer than right next to the person who just dies?
    Also without comment: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...s-hit-and-run/

With the introspection comes who or what to blame for the degradation of “Chinese morality” and there seems to be a consensus about the perceived source of the current state of apathy. One netizen wrote, “Don’t blame the passersby; it was a Nanjing judge that killed this little girl.” [YueYue is still alive.]

The “Nanjing judge” refers to an infamous 2006 incident where a young man named Peng Yu went to the aid of an elderly woman who had fallen down on the street in the eastern city of Nanjing. At the woman’s request, Peng helped take her to the hospital only to have the woman turn around and accuse him for being the person who knocked her down. A Nanjing judge then ruled that “common sense” suggested that Peng only took the woman to the hospital because he was guilty and ordered him to pay her medical expenses.

The story was picked up by the Chinese media and quickly became a cautionary tale for many Chinese: no good deed goes unpunished.
    ABC on the current accident and how China is responding: http://abcnews.go.com/International/...death-47963597

Chinese scholars say many issues that leave the middle class disillusioned are a result of lagging government regulation and the dislocating forces of swift development.

"In the West, law, faith and morality are a three-legged stool," said Ma Ai, a sociologist at the China University of Political Science and Law. "Our legal system is catching up, but we don't have religion and a new moral system has not established after China transformed away from a traditional, collectivist society."

A debate flared following a similar case in 2011, when an unattended 2-year old was hit by a truck on a busy street in Guangdong province and laid in a pool of blood without any help from bystanders for seven minutes. She died later. In the following years, several cities, including Beijing and Shanghai, enacted Good Samaritan laws.

To be sure, examples of bystander apathy are ubiquitous, from the case of Kitty Genovese, the woman stabbed to death in daylight in a New York City apartment complex in 1964, to last year in Chicago, where a man who was knocked unconscious in an assault was run over and killed by a taxi after a group of bystanders walked away from him.

In India, a video showed a man unsuccessfully pleading for help following a road accident that killed his wife and child in 2013. That same year, passers-by refused to stop to help a naked, bleeding gang-rape victim after she was dumped from a bus onto a New Delhi street. The 23-year-old student died of her injuries.

But the Chinese have been particularly self-critical on the matter.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I think in China it's a law for the person to pay for the damages and medical bills etc. for the victim for the rest of their life, which is very costly...

I suppose they just let them die instead. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens
    I think in China it's a law
    From the previously linked Snopes article on this point:

the legal maxim that it’s better (from a liability standpoint) to kill someone rather than merely injure or wound them is common in many parts of the world (including the U.S.), so public knowledge or repetition of such a notion isn’t evidence in itself that people are commonly acting on it.
    Yep, this used to be discussed as a point in US law schools, it was Torts I for us.

What did you expect from a society that routinely skins and boils animals alive because "their suffering makes them more tasty" ?

With a lot of Westerners now visiting China, I wonder if they would get into trouble for helping the victim ?

I wonder also, what would happen if it was a westerner who was lying injured on the road.. Would anyone help?

If I had been there, I would have blocked traffic and called an ambulance.

10+ Year Old Account
    When human life reaches the point where it can mean 0, this is the kind of things you are going to have happen. It isn't because they are evil or their culture, or hell even money. This is a values thing.

Every culture does and it and still does it in the modern age and under the right circumstances, hell during the famine in Russia during the second World Wars human beings left without resources to feed themselves, did the one thing only some could do, eat each other.

I guess what shocks me is why in the 21st century are people so blind and willfully stupid that they say "I'm so shocked human beings out of desperation would snap or behave a certain way" after being conditioned like any other animal.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

From the several dozen other videos just like this that i've seen, the same comment always gets echoed - this is due to their culture of not wanting to be 'better' than each other.

If you help the person on the floor, they take it as you having better morals than them, and thus they ostracise you.

Obligatory "don't worry it was a girl" joke

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    With a lot of Westerners now visiting China, I wonder if they would get into trouble for helping the victim ?

I wonder also, what would happen if it was a westerner who was lying injured on the road.. Would anyone help?

If I had been there, I would have blocked traffic and called an ambulance.
    Locals are chased out of their neighbourhood if they are known to have helped someone dying on the ground - i'm pretty sure they would just kill a foreigner. Racism is insane in southeast Asia

In Norway, while taking the drivers license, you learn that you MUST stop at a site where a accident with another car has occurred.

If you just drive past without stopping, there is a chance that you will be charged for it.
    Maybe that is a result of our free healthcare system, but hot damn, I'd stop helping in any place of the world. Only humane thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    When human life reaches the point where it can mean 0, this is the kind of things you are going to have happen. It isn't because they are evil or their culture, or hell even money. This is a values thing.

Every culture does and it and still does it in the modern age and under the right circumstances, hell during the famine in Russia during the second World Wars human beings left without resources to feed themselves, did the one thing only some could do, eat each other.

I guess what shocks me is why in the 21st century are people so blind and willfully stupid that they say "I'm so shocked human beings out of desperation would snap or behave a certain way" after being conditioned like any other animal.
    The Chinese people don't have a culture, the communist party took great effort dislodging people from the traditional chinese culture

shocked? looks like shit that happens all the time there.

weird how people can just not give a shit about someone on a large scale like that.

I have been to China many times, and the main culprit is the young people are taught to be selfish and self-preservation comes as #1 priority. With such a huge population and the economic ravages wrought by Communist rule, this is one of the end results.

You can see it in display whenever you go to any major city in China, people don't bother forming lines to get on buses, they all rush to be first so they can get the seats. Same for metros and subways, you very rarely see young people yielding seats to the elderly. This is what happens when you replace sources that teach you morality (religion, family, community) with government.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Deleted
    It happens all the time there. Remember that video where they left a dead baby in the streets? No one did anything.

Maybe it's the nature of the people, maybe because there are over a billion of them or maybe because of decades of communism I am not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    In most West-European nations it's law that you 'must' help someone in a medical emergency and call the ambulance etc.

This is a law that does not exist in the UK and USA, iirc.
    I can only speak for Spain, but the law here dictate that if you stumble upon someone in the need of aid, and unless assistance is already present on-site, you must stop and then proceed to:

1. Secure and signal the area as to avoid any danger to regular traffic and the victims.
    2. Assist those in need of help until professional aid arrives.

Not doing so is a criminal offense and can send you to jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    The Chinese people don't have a culture, the communist party took great effort dislodging people from the traditional chinese culture
    Communism can't do that, neither can any other ideology, which I don't know that they ever tried, but I am sure as a people they developed a culture intentionally or unintentionally. I am not a believer that the only democracy or vote comes in the form of a ballot. Sometimes all it takes is the over all populations lack of will to demand anything else, and for others to take over and solve all their problems.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

We have seen that alot in China, i think this quote fits quite well.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    The video looks fake.
    It's too disgusting to look real

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Communism can't do that, neither can any other ideology, which I don't know that they ever tried, but I am sure as a people they developed a culture intentionally or unintentionally. I am not a believer that the only democracy or vote comes in the form of a ballot. Sometimes all it takes is the over all populations lack of will to demand anything else, and for others to take over and solve all their problems.
    No but the chinese party can and did, because in their views the old ways and cultures held them back. In china human life is not a valuable commodity