Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

AP/AK catch up for non-twinks?

hey,

i played at the start of legion but quit early. got 3 chars to 110 though with different levels of AK and AP.

i read that there are good catch up mechanics for alts, being able to boost their AK to max, but that requires a main with max AK, if i understood it correctly? my 'main' now has 26 AK and research takes 2days. why are twink allowed to get this massive AK catch up, while my main is stuck at low AK with long research times?

or am i missing something?

thanks

edit: yea i mean alts, no idea why but in germany they are often called twinks.
    Last edited by mmoc703b55f91f; 2017-06-12 at 09:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By twinks I assume you mean alts?
    I guess the reason why you would be able to jump to 35 (or 40?) with alts is because you have already done all the research on one of your characters and it would be a pain in the ass to wait all that time on your alts. As far as your main goes.. we all had to wait to get to the next levels.
    Faith Alone is Not Enough to Stop all the Enemies of the Light!
    - Retribution Paladin since 2007.

Burning Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Jesus christ, I just agreed with Jaylock. I need to go and have a shower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gbtg View Post
    hey,

i played at the start of legion but quit early. got 3 chars to 110 though with different levels of AK and AP.

i read that there are good catch up mechanics for twinks, being able to boost their AK to max, but that requires a main with max AK, if i understood it correctly? my 'main' now has 26 AK and research takes 2days. why are twink allowed to get this massive AK catch up, while my main is stuck at low AK with long research times?

or am i missing something?

thanks
    2 days per AK level? How horrible, people that have been playing since legion launch had to suffer thru 5 days per AK level. at AK 26 you can still buy AK20 books and send to your alts.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

When I was AK 26 my research took 5 days. You are experiencing a catch-up mechanic. Once you get to 35 and 40 you can buy the upgrades for your other characters as well.

At AK lvl 40 you can buy a tome that grants your alts AK lvl 40. Before reaching AK 40 on your main you get 5 lvls lower tomes for alts, every 5 AK levels on main. So if main is at AK 30, then your alt gets AK 25. At AK 35-39 your alt gets AK 30. You can send multiple tomes to one alt - I boosted one of mine to 25, did research on that alt to 27 and then mailed another tome with AK 40.

Mechanism is, as stated - a catch up. With main sitting at AK 40, getting millions of AP per token, with 40+ traits unlocked, switching to alt would feel like picking totally gutted class. With catch up mechanism you don't have to spend weeks and tonnes of resources to do researches on alts. 1k of resources gives you a book (until AK lvl 40 5 lvls lower than main, mind. Every 5 AK levels), then you do one or two AP token quests and you can unlock all 4 initial gold traits along the rest.

I have AK 40 on main and I left researches on alts knowing how it would work. I mailed AK 40 tome to my alt, finished ONE AP token hall mission (6M AP) and that token alone unlocked ENTIRE artifact. I was like 500k of power short to get 4th gold trait. This mechanics means I can do comparable damage on my fresh alt without having to spend weeks on farming AK levels and/or AP tokens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone know exactly how long it would take for someone who just came back to the game (or just started playing for that matter, since you can get AK25 instantly now right?) to go from AK25 to AK40 with the catch up mechanic?

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    Does anyone know exactly how long it would take for someone who just came back to the game (or just started playing for that matter, since you can get AK25 instantly now right?) to go from AK25 to AK40 with the catch up mechanic?
    3 days per AK level. Do math yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    3 days per AK level. Do math yourself.
    Don't think it's that simple, is it? Doesn't each level take longer and longer the higher you get?

Deleted
    Don't think it's that simple, is it? Doesn't each level take longer and longer the higher you get?
    No it's 3 days for every level except for the last ones.

I wasn't subscribed when 7.2 hit and when I came back I had 3 days/AK rank until I was some 4 levels behind everyone else. From there on it was the full 5 days.

But the rank at which it slows down is shifting as time goes by. My priest, who started one or two weeks later, is now only 1 AK rank behind my mage (who's 39). So it's safe to assume that with tomb it'll be 3 days/rank all the way through, possibly going even lower as time goes by to make the catchup easier.
    Last edited by mmoccdde410f5d; 2017-06-12 at 12:39 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    People hit AK40 last week, so the longer you are behind, the more chance the time will be 3 or 4 days instead of 5.

It's all relevant to the max of the playerbase and the time since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like 3 days per level all the way to AK40 is likely for someone starting out at 25 today then.

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    No it's 2 days for every level
    Wrong. If you are basing that 2 days on whatever you see in game, then you see rounded down time (if it's displays 2 days then it's actually 2 days 0...24 hours). If you start researching now, by the time you finish all levels will be 3 days (research time is solely depends on how far behind you are, but never goes lower than 3 days no matter how behind you are, imo this is bad, blizz should make it go as low as 1 day to help new and returning players).
    Last edited by TOM_RUS; 2017-06-12 at 11:55 AM.

AK40 is op for alts.... still wish they had left it at 50 regardless.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. If you are basing that 2 days on whatever you see in game, then you see rounded down time (if it's displays 2 days then it's actually 2 days 0...24 hours). If you start researching now, by the time you finish all levels will be 3 days (research time is solely depends on how far behind you are, but never goes lower than 3 days no matter how behind you are).
    Yup it's 2 days 23 hours (actually 3 days minus a second rounds it down to that)

Same way shops try to price things at 2,99

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I managed to get AK 49 on the PTR before the change. It was insane. You could not complete your artifact (35 traits) in less than 10 tokens back when you had AK 25 but with AK 50 you could reach 52 traits like that easily.
    I just hit 110 on my priest a couple of days ago and with AK40 I maxed my weapon out immediately, with AK50 it would have been ridiculous. I think with just a few AP tokens on my holy weapon it went to old 47 traits before I upgraded it on the broken shore.

Deleted
    Wrong. If you are basing that 2 days on whatever you see in game, then you see rounded down time (if it's displays 2 days then it's actually 2 days 0...24 hours). If you start researching now, by the time you finish all levels will be 3 days (research time is solely depends on how far behind you are, but never goes lower than 3 days no matter how behind you are, imo this is bad, blizz should make it go as low as 1 day to help new and returning players).
    Where the hell did you get that quote? I clearly wrote 3 days several times..

Where the hell did you get that quote? I clearly wrote 3 days several times..
    You wrote 2 days and then edited it. Simple.

Deleted
    You wrote 2 days and then edited it. Simple.
    In that post I wrote 3 days 2 times and 2 days 1 time (which I edited) and yet you somehow felt the need to lecture me when it was obviously a fucking typo. Don't be that guy.

In that post I wrote 3 days 2 times and 2 days 1 time (which I edited) and yet you somehow felt the need to lecture me when it was obviously a fucking typo. Don't be that guy.
    Your belligerence here is what stands out the most. You made a mistake. Get over it.

Deleted
    so say i got 2 chars, both have not been played since shortly after legion. would it be wise to focus all my efforts into one char until he reaches the 40AK cap, so i can boost my 2nd chars AK?