Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    you say that. But they don't need to shut down nexus. If modders want money for their mods and stop using nexus. Then what ? If no one makes free mods it doesnt matter if we get 100 new nexus sites.

However this looks to be more of a microtransaction system. You buy mini dlc's made by bethesda developers and a few modders from the community. I only fear that they will take all the premium modders and make their work cost money.

Only thing we can do is to simply not buy a single mod. Vote with the wallet
    Coders are a fun bunch typically, in that more often than not they see something like this, a corporate cash grab, and they go underground rather than sell out. Pretty sure most of the truly talented mod makers will keep their stuff far away from this system. Also, whenever an actually pertinent mod, like CBBE, Place Everywhere, Scrap Everything or something like that, moves on over to the sellout side, there'll be someone waiting to replace that mod with a free (with donations) of their own.

Look at Kinggath, for example. He's revolutionizing the settlement system in Fallout 4 singlehandedly, and quite a few people are already making addons to his mods. There are some truly talented people out there, still active in the modding scene, both for Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Bethesda would have to take a razorwire-covered baseball bat and smash the head of the modding scene in for there to be any true changes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Eh?? I assume those that were hired willingly decided to join their creators club and you still get to have free mods if you don't like the ones Bethesda offer.
    I'm completely okay with paying money for certain Mods. Hell I've even donated to some of the bigger Skyrim mods on Nexus. What I'm NOT okay with? 75+% of a purchase going in to greedy ass Bethesda's pocket... And don't for a second tell me that's not going to happen. It happened with Mods on Steam. It will happen again. So even if the Mods on Bethesdas store are great I won't ever buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    I'm completely okay with paying money for certain Mods. Hell I've even donated to some of the bigger Skyrim mods on Nexus. What I'm NOT okay with? 75+% of a purchase going in to greedy ass Bethesda's pocket... And don't for a second tell me that's not going to happen. It happened with Mods on Steam. It will happen again. So even if the Mods on Bethesdas store are great I won't ever buy them.
    Whatever the terms are modders that participate do so willingly and until we get to see the how the whole thing develops I'm not buying information assimetry arguments.

I don't get the pissing and moaning about this. It's community created DLC. It won't interfere with free mods in any way. The developers that choose to join this program will benefit from a wider audience (most people who played skyrim and FO4 probably don't even know what Nexus is) and if you don't want to, you never have to buy a single thing from this program. All the opposition in this thread seems way off the mark.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I don't get the pissing and moaning about this. It's community created DLC. It won't interfere with free mods in any way. The developers that choose to join this program will benefit from a wider audience (most people who played skyrim and FO4 probably don't even know what Nexus is) and if you don't want to, you never have to buy a single thing from this program. All the opposition in this thread seems way off the mark.
    Community shouldnt be the one creating a DLC in 1.st place. Thats the Beshidia job. If they want DLC, hire those programers and pay them a full price.
    Right now, this is just pure greed and a way to get it the chapest way posible.

And if someone makes, lets say Batman mod for Skyrim and they try to sell it that way, it could cause a huge lawsuits. As a modder, you dont have this problems.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just sooo weird that Bethesda is cracking the whip on its modding community to keep two games alive until something else comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Community shouldnt be the one creating a DLC in 1.st place. Thats the Beshidia job. If they want DLC, hire those programers and pay them a full price.

And if someone makes, lets say Batman mod for Skyrim and they try to sell it that way, it could cause a huge lawsuits. As a modder, you dont have this problems.
    Yeah so it really seems like you don't get this program at all. One, lots of games have community created DLC. Two, this content will be created in partnership with Bethesda, so your example of a Batman mod opening the company up to lawsuits makes zero sense. It's not like Bethesda is gonna be like "oh no this guy that we've been working with for three months was secretly making a Batman mod and we accidentally sold it what do we do????"
    Beta Club Brosquad

Bethesda curates it. So I don't think lawsuits will be a problem.

If you bothered to read the FAQ, most of the CC content will be handled by Bethesda itself and the rest is either collaboration with modders, or their approved mods.
    This will solve the problem with the PS4 mods, because for CC content, the publisher will be Bethesda. So Sony will not be able to make excuses about security or what not to decline mods.

And Batman mods will never be able to make it past curation in the first place.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

7+ Year Old Account
    Community shouldnt be the one creating a DLC in 1.st place. Thats the Beshidia job.
    You mean like those unofficial patches that solves game-breaking bugs which stops any progress in the main story - which was quite common in a sewer section with a man behind a door? Or trying to beat the last boss in the last DLC and... nothing happened...?

Boy, wouldn't THOSE be amazing to buy. >_> "5,99, we'll FIX ALL YOUR BUGS!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Wouldn't be such a big deal if there wasn't the fact that Bethesda shit is unplayable without mods that fix most of the game breaking bugs.

you mean features.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    you mean features.
    my bad, thanks for pointing that out =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    you mean features.
    IT JUST WORKS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    So, what's the problem? It seems like people are feeling entitled.
    There are many, many problems with paid modding. Where to start?

The biggest one is probably mod compatibility/stability. It will be entirely possible to purchase two mods that are completely incompatible with each other, or to purchase a mod that no longer works in a future update. Unless Bethesda plans on putting serious time, effort and money into curating this alone will make it a shitfest. It seems they intend on taking this approach, but only time will tell. Their last paid mods effort does not leave me very optimistic.

The argument is never that modders don't deserve compensation, it's that modding is inherently risky. Too many things can go wrong, and I for am sure as hell not going to pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    There are many, many problems with paid modding. Where to start?

The biggest one is probably mod compatibility/stability. It will be entirely possible to purchase two mods that are completely incompatible with each other, or to purchase a mod that no longer works in a future update. Unless Bethesda plans on putting serious time, effort and money into curating this alone will make it a shitfest. It seems they intend on taking this approach, but only time will tell. Their last paid mods effort does not leave me very optimistic.

The argument is never that modders don't deserve compensation, it's that modding is inherently risky. Too many things can go wrong, and I for am sure as hell not going to pay for that.
    People should definitely be cautious, but most of the concerns that come from the previous iteration are largely addressed in the FAQ. As for that specific concern, I don't think there are issues like this in DLC (which is the most similar thing to this) and if they are they are quickly fixed.

If i download a mod that looks like it had effort and time put in it i will more likely than not donate or become a patreon of said modder, but this?Screw this, this is just super greed from Bethesda i thought we were over this bethesda?I guess you just like digging the grave deeper.I will just keep my business with CD Projekt Red were mods aren't how they see then next way to shank money from its fan base.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of on the wall about this. I wouldn't mind as long as their approval process is extremely restrictive. The mods need to be like approved DLC that has zero foot print on free mods as well.

I don't know how hard that is. Texture packs with extreme resolution would be something I would pay for, but how is the free modding community going to function when they have to worry about constant updates for this approved DLC that will likely create never ending conflicts with their content.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Modding has never been about making money or receiving compensation. Bethesda wants to monetize something we've been doing for free for the simple joy of improving existing games for years.
    I mean, you can say this about pretty much fucking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I'm kind of on the wall about this. I wouldn't mind as long as their approval process is extremely restrictive. The mods need to be like approved DLC that has zero foot print on free mods as well.
    Just the requirements to submit a mod to CC is enough to deter 99% of the beginner and amateur mod authors. You need to submit a document pitch for your mod, you need to follow a set schedule with Alpha, Beta, and Release milestones. Only experienced and/or professional modders can do that without any trouble. It's too much of a hassle for your Average Joe modder.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I don't know how hard that is. Texture packs with extreme resolution would be something I would pay for, but how is the free modding community going to function when they have to worry about constant updates for this approved DLC that will likely create never ending conflicts with their content.
    How is this any different from mods needing to resolve conflicts with the more popular mods that are considered staples by the community like AWKCR, SkyUI, Homemaker, etc, etc? The modding community will adapt as always.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    An excuse for cheap labour for profit margins.