The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Is ones identity unique?

It is often said that it is critical that voices from different perspectives be heard, but I wonder if people can tell the difference between an authentic identity and a fake identity. This brings us to the story of Yi-Fen Chou who is actually just the pen name of a distinctly not Asian American person named Michael Derrick Hudson. A white guy wrote a poem that admittedly contained no specific cultural elements (It wasn't written in a particularly Asian style) but had trouble getting it published under his name so he invented the pen name of Yi-Fen Chou. It was then more readily accepted, and the person accepting it even admitted to finding the poem more amenable because of who the editor THOUGHT wrote the poem. In fact it is now one of the best poems of 2015 apparently.

This begs the question, was there anything especially unique about a particular perspective or identity considering how easy it was for Michael Derrick Hudson with only a pen-name to effectively trick the editor? Can you tell a genuine perspective from a well crafted fake?
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2017-06-12 at 05:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, a barely stealthed race discussion. Pass. Thanks.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    "How to create a race thread by starting with "unique identity"".

If you want an answer, you should ask some social bots on social media if they believe they really are Tiffany from North Dakota while posting racist threads with muslim meme images.

If you can keep the fake up who can tell? There are so many things that can be faked, but really does it even matter?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    "How to create a race thread by starting with "unique identity"".

If you want an answer, you should ask some social bots on social media if they believe they really are Tiffany from North Dakota while posting racist threads with muslim meme images.
    Why would you use Muslim pictures in a Racism thread? Seems a bit odd since they are an ideology and all.

On-topic- Pseudonyms have been used for centuries. So People doing this doesn't surprise me. It's like when people criticise things then retract all criticism when they find out its made by someone they are meant to like. or Vice-Versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not a person's work gets accepted by publishing companies has little to do with 'identity' and much to do with marketing. Your topic has no relation to the post.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I was unsure if there was a show called Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    I thought that this was going to be a thread about the shrinking lack of individual identity

I wonder if identical twins have a unique identity? Probably, once their memories become different.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Why would you use Muslim pictures in a Racism thread? Seems a bit odd since they are an ideology and all.
    Only because you pretend ethnicity is not covered by racism doesnt make your alternative fact true.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The poem, afaik, isn't the dude's identity.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you are like many I have met before.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    The poem, afaik, isn't the dude's identity.
    It is not. But the opinions others had of it changed depending on who they thought wrote it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No actually it isn't in fact it's pretty common, which is why I don't put much stock in things like say Race and I.Q scores or experiments. Mostly because your identity is made up of many parts the main are your external influences (Environmental) and your internal (Generic) along with close family and friends.

Meaning mostly there is very few or almost no corners of the world you can go and hide from who you are, AND how the world sees, feels and treats you. One of the thing that always puzzled me growing up was the mentality of those that if they were one color or another often times being given grief if they closer identified with a culture that was generally seen as only identified group or another.

Which I think is silly regardless if it's authentic or not, because there is no amount of delusion that can ever last which makes you unaware of who and what you are, NONE.

Except maybe drugs, however the Irony of that is the least inclusive groups and most affluent seem to struggle with drugs and identity more than those that truly don't care one way or another.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is not. But the opinions others had of it changed depending on who they thought wrote it.
    But your opinions about anyone can change based on what you know about them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Only because you pretend ethnicity is not covered by racism doesnt make your alternative fact true.
    Muslims aren't one ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I wonder if identical twins have a unique identity? Probably, once their memories become different.
    I can gaurentee you this. I have worked with identical twins for 20+ years. One is a homosexual and one is not. Go figure on that one.

Deleted
    but who said that ? for one , if you read the article it even says that after getting rejected 40 times under his own name he got rejected 9 times under his pen name aswell, for all that it's worth his 50th try was simply his lucky day. Yea , the guy who accepted it said that the "fact" it was from someone chinese affected him, you know why ? because he (as he put it himself) was a brown poet thinking he would be doing a brown poet a favor.

that's like a female editor giving something a pass because omg a woman wrote this!!! or an angry old white dude thinking he found someone who hates all those dirty damn niggers just as much as he does. we all do this, and this has nothing to do with your own identity, if anything it has to do with other peoples perception of your identity which is something entirely different

Actors and Writers change their names to appeal to different audiences ?

I am shocked.