Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That's because people voted for various reasons
    Of course. But the "main reason" seem to shift alot, depending on what fits the discussion at hand. You guys have a really hard time justifying/realizing why people voted for a Brexit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    So their country too can turn into a shithole and get collectively buggered by the rest?

Nah, the EU needs to quell the rise of secessionism in much the same principle as america did when their southern states tried. They won't do a war, because that's untenable in our current modern times, but they'll use everything in the book to make the britons feel their mistake and (ideally) to have them come scampering back so they can put on a draconian deal with them that really squeezes them in an effort to make anyone else considering really think twice.

Nobody said international power politics are pretty or fair, but it's the game the world plays.
    And if UK is a-ok after EU bully tactics?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Or maybe because they can see competition for employment has driven down wages and further immigration will do the same.

I voted Remain, cheap labour is good for me, but there is no benefit to Britain in importing Bulgarians to wash cars in Tesco car park and unrestricted EU movement is poorly thought out.
    My dentist wanted 10K to get my teeth fixed. Got them fixed in Slovakia for 3K. They did a brilliant job. Case closed.

You'd think a conservative would understand the value of choice in a free market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Of course. But the "main reason" seem to shift alot, depending on what fits the discussion at hand. You guys have a really hard time justifying/realizing why people voted for a Brexit.
    TBF unless somebody asks every LEAVE voter why then nobody knows. The xenophobic card was just an easy reason to throw from the opposition because it sells

7+ Year Old Account
    Why do they have to justify it to others?

When regular negotiations is called bully tactics because it doesnt suit you.

They'll turn up the bully tactics until it works, of course.

And if nothing works they'll make up some BS about abuses and pressure international partners into sanctions.

You give the EU leaders too much credit if you think they're above making stuff up to get their way.

The UK is getting screwed one way or the other. Legitimately or illigitimately. To see what happens when a government denies EU interests for too long, look to Ukraine and how the few protestors managed to compel what the media portrayed as a people's revolution. Do you think they're above doing that to britain? No, of course not.
    Last edited by Magicpot; 2017-06-12 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    Oh no, I'm being harangued by a small Belgian!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Why do they have to justify it to others?
    They don't. But i figured that's one of the reasons why the main goal of the Brexit is changing everytime we discuss this shit.

Deleted
    You don't think the hypothetical "we must punish the UK so others won't dare leave" is bully tactics?

7+ Year Old Account
    They don't. But i figured that's one of the reasons why the main goal of the Brexit is changing everytime we discuss this shit.
    Has it ever struck you that different people have different reasons for it? Or that there's several reasons?

Deleted
    That's because people realize xenophobia wasn't the main focus

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear, everytime Brexit is discussed there are new reasons as to why people voted for Brexit.
    Anti-EU immigration is hardly a new reason that people voted for Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    My dentist wanted 10K to get my teeth fixed. Got them fixed in Slovakia for 3K. They did a brilliant job. Case closed.

You'd think a conservative would understand the value of choice in a free market.
    Slovakia is not in the UK, not really sure how that is relevant to a conversation about immigration into Britain. Not everyone who voted Leave was a conservative, many were from the traditional Labour support, including probably Corbyn, he has been anti-EU/EEC since forever.

And you needed £10k worth of work? Were you trying to get into the Pogues?

You don't think the hypothetical "we must punish the UK so others won't dare leave" is bully tactics?
    I mean it's not even true, so no. The fact that they don't accept every demand the UK is making is considered a "punishment" is fucking ridiculous. I said it earlier, anyone who thought that the UK would get easy leave negotiations were deluding themselves.

Or, and bear with me here

you just get up and walk away from the EU.

Deleted
    I mean it's not even true, so no. The fact that they don't accept every demand the UK is making is a "punishment" is fucking ridiculous. I said it earlier, anyone who thought that the UK would get easy leave negotiations were deluding themselves.
    Did you read the person I was quoting?

Did you read the person I was quoting?
    Yea and he/she is wrong, but it seemed like you bought into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Anti-EU immigration is hardly a new reason that people voted for Brexit.

Slovakia is not in the UK, not really sure how that is relevant to a conversation about immigration into Britain. Not everyone who voted Leave was a conservative, many were from the traditional Labour support, including probably Corbyn, he has been anti-EU/EEC since forever.

And you needed £10k worth of work? Were you trying to get into the Pogues?
    You can tell you haven't lived here for a while, they charge that for a filling.

The point about Slovakia is that foreigners don't charge you rip-off prices and do a decent job.

If you prefer ask any one actually living in Britain whether they would prefer a Polish plumber to our lazy-arsed British equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Because it's of course not at all due to UK's childish behaviour.

Of course the UK got everything its way for the 40 years it spent whining to get a special treatment in the EU, I understand it's so used to it that it has some trouble getting the concept of not having your cake and eat it.
    The EU really needs to learn that lesson as well tbh so no ones blameless here lol
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Deleted
    Yea and he/she is wrong, but it seemed like you bought into it.
    No I was saying he was been silly. Obviously the EU will be difficult but it would be suicidal if the EU proposed a punishment stance. Personally I think some people just desire UK to burn which speaks volume... I honestly believe after the innitial humps the UK will be just fine outside of the EU