Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Burnout & Uncertainty

I know you encounter this in every game but my burnout from Overwatch is sourced a bit differently...

It has to do with the fact I almost have 300 hours invested into it(which I find personally insane) but I'm still running across players, readily, that have several times that investment and a whole wardrobe of gold guns to go along with it. It absolutely kills my own self-esteem and deflates any sense of self-worth I might have going into a match.

This is because it's often accompanied by a huge skill differential. While I might obliterate newbies and heavily challenge more average players regularly, they make me look like I've never played a day in my life more often than not. It's almost insultingly frustrating to encounter. Can't imagine how it is for others arguably beneath my skill level.

It's this disparity of investment that is gradually making me lose interest. I always enjoyed games as a pass-time. Something to alleviate my woes and help me to relax. I'm not getting that anymore. Instead I am getting this strange, bizarre sensation that repeatedly creeps up on me in which I could be doing more with my life if I'm going to take it that seriously in the first place rather than attempt to compete with individuals who clearly do not put value on anything but the game itself and their performance.

...and it'll mean nothing beyond that game. That's the critical difference between that kind of investment in a game and life itself.

So I stand at a crossroads:

* One path, I choose to accept the idea that maybe I will be crushed. That there is a sect who simply will invest every waking hour and breadth of their existence into this game and I will not be able to fairly compete. Is what it is. Yeah it might ruin my fun at times(because who finds simply being stomped enjoyable?) but I can try to siphon joy out of the mere sport of the game itself and all the details therein.

* Second path, I choose to forgo my life and join these people. People mind you that I tend to personally loathe as they are self-destructive unto their own being whilst simultaneously making other people miserable because the skill gap is so immense it isn't really "sporting" at all. You have to surrender so much just to be even remotely competent comparatively.

Third path, I choose to quit. Determine what values I desire in a game and why and also certify that this is possibly something that needs to be extended towards a myriad of multiplayer titles. Particularly ones that get really into the whole "e-sport" mentality of it all in which helps to drive that insatiable desire out of a given group of individuals who will stop at nothing to attain superiority and compound upon it -- even if merely for the sake of.

Anyone else feeling this way or has felt this way? I get that I can't always be "top dog" but Overwatch seems to take things a little too far and the disparity is soul-crushingly bad as a result. It's even better when you actually seem to be putting up a challenge initially(still losing ultimately) only to get the old, "I'm just warming up for the day," taunt. Awesome. Way to shit all over me and my effort. Saying I should simply do emotes and accept inferiority?

I'm probably overthinking this. I tend to do that. Doesn't change how I feel though. Really disappoints me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Play comp, get matched with people of roughly comparable skill, have fun (or not, depending on the group).

I find it funny that what you do to noobs, when done to you, makes you post something like this. There will always be people better than you in any game you play. Either get over it or move on.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    Play comp, get matched with people of roughly comparable skill, have fun (or not, depending on the group).

I find it funny that what you do to noobs, when done to you, makes you post something like this. There will always be people better than you in any game you play. Either get over it or move on.
    Noobs don't care because they haven't invested much if anything. It's like expecting to be good at pool first round. Simply doesn't happen otherwise you have unreasonable expectations. Trust me, I ate plenty of shit from what were likely average players early on. I knew though that I was just starting. Needed to spend at least some amount of effort before I could anticipate much else.

BUT there comes a point where you're willing to invest time only to realize you'll still get crushed the same because there are some who don't have jobs, wives, family, or really much of anything(or so it would seem) and drop all of their being into the game. At which juncture, you already know, you can't possibly compete. Even if you were to continue stretching and working your availability to play more, you won't be able to catch up, because you're not quite willing to simply drop all else.

I don't see why a game must be a religion or prepare to be stomped and humiliated. That seems extreme and it does detract from the ability to find a satisfactory median where all-in-all it feels more competitive. Instead it often devolves into you stomping or being stomped. There is hardly a middle ground to be found. You either invest everything or little to nothing. It'd be as if my friends(let's use pool as an example again) quit their jobs or took a lot of time off just so they could practice when I wasn't around. So when we do all get together, I'm so far behind the learning curve that it's no longer fun nor competitive.

It ultimately saps the energy out of the experience when you realize what individuals are doing to get that advantage and why you won't be able to follow suit.

Please don't be dense in your future posts. There's a little more to this than, "Oh I lost, this sucks," mantra. I've eaten plenty of defeats and didn't care one iota. What I am lamenting is a trend I'm beginning to see as a clear gap between players and why that gap exists and it isn't simply because somebody put in more time or practiced. There is almost this sacrificial pact going on with one's self in which they put into it everything they have to get an advantage at the cost of all else.

How is that fun? That's really, I guess, what my question is in all of this.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-06-12 at 06:27 PM.

You sound like a person that should stick with PvE MMO or Single player games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitdealer View Post
    You sound like a person that should stick with PvE MMO or Single player games.
    That's a possibility!

Not an ideal one but it's something I've definitely been considering. I love video games but I don't want them to absolutely consume me in order to just merely be on par!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    ~snip~
    Like I clearly said, and you ignored, go play competitive and you will get matched with people of your skill level. Gasp all of your problems solved. QP is about the only place it can be that unbalanced and if you get matched up vs a group that stomps your team, you wait 2 minutes before you requeue and you get new people.

It sounds to me like you just want someone to tell you it will be ok and pat you on your head. Go play single player games if you handle losing. As I also said, there will always be people who are better than you and who invest more time than you in any multiplayer game that you play.

You either accept that or don't play.
    Last edited by xerus; 2017-06-12 at 06:52 PM.

Like I clearly said, and you ignored, go play competitive and you will get matched with people of your skill level. Gasp all of your problems solved. QP is about the only place it can be that unbalanced and if you get matched up vs a group that stomps your team, you wait 2 minutes before you requeue and you get new people.

It sounds to me like you just want someone to tell you it will be ok and pat you on your head. Go play single player games if you handle losing. As I also said, there will always be people who are better than you and who invest more time than you in any multiplayer game that you play.

You either accept that or don't play.
    An investment of more time and a blood sacrifice to heathen gods are two different things. People need to start figuring out why and how.

15+ Year Old Account
    An investment of more time and a blood sacrifice to heathen gods are two different things. People need to start figuring out why and how.
    You sentence doesn't even make sense. The game has multiple play modes, one that specifically matches you with people of your skill level where player level has no real meaning.

What else do you need to feel good about yourself? A puppy?

Deleted
    'Anyone who's better at this game than me has no life and plays games every minute of every day, this makes me sad, boohoo.'

Deleted
    Levels don't mean shit rank does. Like if you're not having fun in game you wont improve as a player and playing something you don't find fun is idiotic just quit or take a break. Play competitive and climb the ladder, when you hit a roadblock find out what you're doing wrong and continue climbing.

You sentence doesn't even make sense. The game has multiple play modes, one that specifically matches you with people of your skill level where player level has no real meaning.

What else do you need to feel good about yourself? A puppy?
    Matchmaking doesn't work that well believe it or not and even then you still have to wonder where these people are coming from that can expend so much time. Enough of it in fact that you begin to wonder if they're even feeding themselves. This is what makes "competitive" games not competitive but the complete opposite. An exercise in what one can instead sacrifice to attain the meaningless. So the question was; join them, ignore them best you can, or quit entirely?

It does get boring. Let me run down this same street one million times and shoot at the same thing. Same brain as a hamster on a wheel but the hamster on the wheel is at least getting exercise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Matchmaking doesn't work that well believe it or not and even then you still have to wonder where these people are coming from that can expend so much time. Enough of it in fact that you begin to wonder if they're even feeding themselves. This is what makes "competitive" games not competitive but the complete opposite. An exercise in what one can instead sacrifice to attain the meaningless. So the question was; join them, ignore them best you can, or quit entirely?
    If you play comp, you won't (anywhere near often) match up against the no-lifers you bemoan.
    Your choices are keep playing QP so you can get yourself off stomping newbies, and deal with the stompings that go with it; or play comp and get matched with people near your rank.

Or keep crying and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    If you play comp, you won't (anywhere near often) match up against the no-lifers you bemoan.
    Your choices are keep playing QP so you can get yourself off stomping newbies, and deal with the stompings that go with it; or play comp and get matched with people near your rank.

Or keep crying and quit.
    Why am I surrounded by dickheads? Most of my QP matches aren't newbies but roughly equal or way above unless I group with other players then all the sudden the balance shifts like crazy and you're either stomping or being stomped.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are either completely ignoring what I said, are too dense to get it, or just posting for attention at this point.

Play competative. Get matched with people of your skill level (and yes this works fairly well barring some who haven't settled down to their SR yet). Actual player level doesn't matter with this matching.

Or you can keep posting on the forums about how the game is too unfair to you while everyone else keeps playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Why am I surrounded by dickheads? Most of my QP matches aren't newbies but roughly equal or way above unless I group with other players then all the sudden the balance shifts like crazy and you're either stomping or being stomped.
    So play competitive. If you are in QP and expect consistent balanced matches you deserve what you get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're complaining about a problem, and ignoring the solution. If you're in a match of QP that's balanced, then you're lucky. The MM for QP is about filling games as quickly as possible; level and SR have almost zero impact.

You're complaining about skill, and then avoiding the area that balances that out.

Because you're complaining about a problem, and ignoring the solution. If you're in a match of QP that's balanced, then you're lucky. The MM for QP is about filling games as quickly as possible; level and SR have almost zero impact.

You're complaining about skill, and then avoiding the area that balances that out.
    Because I enjoy not being screamed at or hearing other people scream at one another. I have almost zero interest to do competitive. Got to Diamond for the limited time I played last season and I'm struggling to muster up interest for another go. I'm burning out on the shitty fucking community. The shitty fucking atmosphere. The shitty fucking behavior. Some of which I've seen bleed over here when all I am doing is questioning why these games have devolved into this choice where you either accept brutal mediocrity or absurd(though meaningless) empowerment but only if you're willing to forsake all else.

I'm beginning to question. In its entirety. The whole point of gaming at its core and maybe more to the meat of the matter, the assholes that circle around it. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to just be able to enjoy myself and have fun. There is no middle-ground. There is no reasoning. That's what it comes across as.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I enjoy not being screamed at or hearing other people scream at one another. I have almost zero interest to do competitive. Got to Diamond for the limited time I played last season and I'm struggling to muster up interest for another go. I'm burning out on the shitty fucking community. The shitty fucking atmosphere. The shitty fucking behavior. Some of which I've seen bleed over here when all I am doing is questioning why these games have devolved into this choice where you either accept brutal mediocrity or absurd(though meaningless) empowerment but only if you're willing to forsake all else?

I'm beginning to question. In its entirety. The whole point of gaming at its core and maybe more to the point, the assholes that circle around it.
    Pretty sure the existential crisis thread is in another sub-forum

Pretty sure the existential crisis thread is in another sub-forum
    Cool. Don't give a fuck. Back to the subject matter.

Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool. Don't give a fuck. Back to the subject matter.

Why?
    There's a solution to your problem. You don't want to use it.
    You have to live with he problem.