Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd really enjoy a single player LONG story driven ARPG, think Dragon Age, or the Witcher, but set in the Diablo Universe.

It would have some online elements, but there would be a solid single player campiagn before you could get to that.

And it would have gods damned Druid as a playable class!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I would love anything isometric. I still go back to MU online from time to time... I like this style of gameplay.

I do hope they're not working on something completely different, like a TES/dark souls/monster hunter mix 3rd person open world. I would like to see isometric mmo and it would make sense having a few of those on the horizon and seeing how PoE is doing relatively well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    *snip*
    I am not saying it was perfect, it definitely had some issues. In my opinion, kicking out guy because he doesn't have right class for the encounter is bad design of entry content.

I also think fewer classes, the better because you can streamline the design and embrace certain ideas. They could still make entry content for smaller groups to be more general and introduce raids with moments for specific classes. Not only it increases a pride for playing a class, but also raises general knowledge of community.

I really hope there will be no trinity if they decide to make a Diablo MMO of some sort. Being tanky, explosive or whatever should be a class identity.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to explain what I mean.

My default position is: we are owed one more D3 expansion, which is already about a year late. If that comes out, add about 5 years until Diablo 4. Minimum.

Or maybe they'll change course on that and drip release D3 content via expanded patches. That seems to be working better as a distribution method so far. If so I'd give it maybe a few years less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    My default position is: we are owed one more D3 expansion, which is already about a year late. If that comes out, add about 5 years until Diablo 4. Minimum.

Or maybe they'll change course on that and drip release D3 content via expanded patches. That seems to be working better as a distribution method so far. If so I'd give it maybe a few years less.
    To be honest... The way Reaper of Souls ended, making another expansion feels like beating the dead horse.

Franchise is basically reset, there is no better opportunity to take a new direction. I already think the extra zones they added in last few patches were meant to be part of scrapped expansion, just as is Necromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    To be honest... The way Reaper of Souls ended, making another expansion feels like beating the dead horse.

Franchise is basically reset, there is no better opportunity to take a new direction. I already think the extra zones they added in last few patches were meant to be part of scrapped expansion, just as is Necromancer.
    Mmm, I'm not convinced. I feel like RoS was a definite "middle chapter". Also there's a lot of life left in DIII, I don't see them replacing it with a sequel any time soon. Blizzard doesn't really operate like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm, I'm not convinced. I feel like RoS was a definite "middle chapter". Also there's a lot of life left in DIII, I don't see them replacing it with a sequel any time soon. Blizzard doesn't really operate like that.
    How could it be a middle chapter?

All Evils are free again as Malthael shattered the Black Soulstone during his fight with Nephalem. Even Tyrael has doubts now.

How could it be a middle chapter?

All Evils are free again as Malthael shattered the Black Soulstone during his fight with Nephalem. Even Tyrael has doubts now.
    Well it ends on an inconclusive note, and the events of RoS weren't all that consequential. If they're going to follow up on the dubious nature of the Nephilim, that'd be a good cliffhanger to end on. Kind of like the end of Diablo 1.

Although I guess you could argue that inconclusive endings are not uncommon for Blizzard, eg Diablo 2 + LoD and Starcraft 1 + BW.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how anybody can't see that D3:RoS was basically a reset button. The game ended with all of the evils being released (whatever that means). Tyrael looks upon us cautiously optimistic, noting that we have the power for great good, or potentially great evil.

As far as plot goes D3 really didn't add much to the established story aside from building up some areas we haven't been to before and establishing what the player characters actually are. Aside from that it just establishes that the boundaries between Sanctuary, Heaven and Hell are pretty paper thin now, given the world stones destruction at the end of D2:LoD. Although Warcraft had a bit more of an established story, the end of D3 certainly sets up boundaries and factions (most of which did exist before, I mean, duh, Angels vs Demons) to where you could have a world ripe for an MMO.

I don't know what's best for the series but it's pretty plain to me that you COULD have an MMO based on the premise above. Given that we the playable characters can essentially be good or evil sets up factions right from the get go. Whether it be separate factions, or just a way of customizing your character (akin to like Jedi/Sith) is entirely up to them. The established world in Diablo is pretty giant considering you have loads of places in Sanctuary, Hell and Heaven.

On the MMO note, given that they basically reset the story, you can make up any plot and make it fit the narrative without fucking anything up. Over zealous angels, essentially anything from Hell, or fellow factions of Nephalem that went off the deep end could carve out pretty good story.

To me D3 is over though. Diablo 2s story was a quest to follow the dark wanderer, and eventually destroy all of the prime evils soul stone. It ended with us destroying two, which lead us into an obvious expansion to destroy the last remaining one. Diablo 3 started in unknown territory as we had no idea what destroying the world stone would mean for sanctuary. Eventually the plot moves to finding a vessel for Diablo once again, with the plot piece generally surrounding the black soul stone. D3:RoS concluded the black soul stone arc and much like Diablo 2 left a giant question mark as to whats next. I mean, they could pull out anything and justify an expansion, but to me, Diablo 3s as a whole seems done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it ends on an inconclusive note, and the events of RoS weren't all that consequential. If they're going to follow up on the dubious nature of the Nephilim, that'd be a good cliffhanger to end on. Kind of like the end of Diablo 1.

Although I guess you could argue that inconclusive endings are not uncommon for Blizzard, eg Diablo 2 + LoD and Starcraft 1 + BW.
    All Diablo games ended inconclusive to be honest, it is part of the franchise.

There was just no proper story to expand upon after RoS ending that would feel right. Anything after Malthael who was missing for years to learn means how to end eternal conflict would feel forced, especially when it has to feel stronger than him.

I mean, yes. Nephalem could still go to ravage High Heavens, but would it be a great ending for the franchise? Not sure as it would change a lot for Angels how they view Sanctuary and it's denizens. The game is just too deeply rooted in Demons trying to corrupt humanity and Angels indecisiveness to take a stand.

Or they could expand on Inarius and Lilith, but I really like the mystery behind it. Sometimes a story needs something left only for speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    can you imagine a first person diablo skyrim style game
    I'd like more a Dark Souls point of view. Third person = i can see my glorious transmog.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Would like Diablo / Dark souls game.

10+ Year Old Account
    'World of Diablo' MMO feels like cannibalizing their own market. Unless they intend to wither down WoW at some point and hope to transfer people over to this WoDiablo, which would either be F2P or still sub based. I think the chances of both co-excising would be very slim. And on top of that I don't think Blizzard would ever create and run two games of the same genre.

I'm guessing they intended another xpac for D3, scrapped that and poured it into what will become D4. With the Necro coming out my though is they'll want to stretch D3 for another two years before dropping or even mentioning D4.

Or they could expand on Inarius and Lilith, but I really like the mystery behind it. Sometimes a story needs something left only for speculation.
    Yeah, i would really like that too.

Story-wise, RoS basically paved a way for an MMO imho. All prime evils and lesser evils are basically free. Heavens are no more a safe nest - and Imperius pretty much is blaming the Nephalem. Sanctuary itself is no more hidden from the hells and demons can easily come and go and try to lure/corrput Nephalem, as it's stated that more and more are recovering their original power after the destruction of the Worldstone. The Angiris council is left broken after Malthael's demise.

So basically we're in a world full of heroes where Hell is trying to invade us and Angels very likely prefer to obliterate everything (since we're not exactly pure given how we're born from Lilith and Inarius) than reasoning with us.

To me is looks like a really good MMO setup. I hope it doesn't turn out to be an MMO though.

i like to think that class DLC and stuff for D3 is b.c. they have scrapped the 2nd xpac to focus on a wither/skyrim style D4. though if i recall from many blizzcons ago D3 was supposed to wrap up the IP's story so who knows.

ok find that was easier than i thought it would be..

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/game...-but-26598480/

sadly most other links are blocked by my work >.< /runs off to pester info sec.
    Last edited by cuafpr; 2017-06-13 at 02:53 PM.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yeah, i would really like that too.

Story-wise, RoS basically paved a way for an MMO imho. All prime evils and lesser evils are basically free. Heavens are no more a safe nest - and Imperius pretty much is blaming the Nephalem. Sanctuary itself is no more hidden from the hells and demons can easily come and go and try to lure/corrput Nephalem, as it's stated that more and more are recovering their original power after the destruction of the Worldstone. The Angiris council is left broken after Malthael's demise.

So basically we're in a world full of heroes where Hell is trying to invade us and Angels very likely prefer to obliterate everything (since we're not exactly pure given how we're born from Lilith and Inarius) than reasoning with us.

To me is looks like a really good MMO setup. I hope it doesn't turn out to be an MMO though.
    I simply can't see them developing competition to one of their long tenure cash cows...although perhaps it's part of a plan to replace WoW?

Nah. I'm thinking the backlash to such a thing would make the old Real ID backlash from years ago sound like a whimper in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I simply can't see them developing competition to one of their long tenure cash cows...although perhaps it's part of a plan to replace WoW?

Nah. I'm thinking the backlash to such a thing would make the old Real ID backlash from years ago sound like a whimper in comparison.
    They can make the game different enough to avoid direct competition.

The game can be buy to play with all the stuff that goes along side it, no trinity, no factions, open world with events and maybe even isometric view.

Basically a combination of Guild Wars 2 and games like Lost Ark or Lineage Eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    'World of Diablo' MMO feels like cannibalizing their own market. Unless they intend to wither down WoW at some point and hope to transfer people over to this WoDiablo, which would either be F2P or still sub based. I think the chances of both co-excising would be very slim. And on top of that I don't think Blizzard would ever create and run two games of the same genre.

I'm guessing they intended another xpac for D3, scrapped that and poured it into what will become D4. With the Necro coming out my though is they'll want to stretch D3 for another two years before dropping or even mentioning D4.
    I agree with this. The chances of making a Diablo MMO are very very low because WoW still exists and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future.

However, I think the chance of making D4 the same old ARPG in the footsteps of D3 is also unlikely. The loot-focused ARPG genre just isn't that popular anymore. Even PoE despite being the superior game right now still has a relatively small playerbase compared to Overwatch or Hearthstone. Blizzard likes to think big and expects big audiences.

I expect a D4 that is significant departure from the traditional ARPG concept.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I agree with this. The chances of making a Diablo MMO are very very low because WoW still exists and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future.
    Well, given how nowadays the "MMO" tag is applied to everything that isn't an MMO, they can simply design a game where there's a persistent world and zones are phased so you don't see anyone or only your group, while the "central hub" will make everyone or so visible.

If the playstyle is still tied to "can do everything solo with occasional co-op" then the game can be labeled as they want, and it won't be a WoW competitor.

All Diablo games ended inconclusive to be honest, it is part of the franchise.

There was just no proper story to expand upon after RoS ending that would feel right. Anything after Malthael who was missing for years to learn means how to end eternal conflict would feel forced, especially when it has to feel stronger than him.

I mean, yes. Nephalem could still go to ravage High Heavens, but would it be a great ending for the franchise? Not sure as it would change a lot for Angels how they view Sanctuary and it's denizens. The game is just too deeply rooted in Demons trying to corrupt humanity and Angels indecisiveness to take a stand.

I was thinking more that we defeat Diablo or whatever villain the storyline points us to next, but plunge the black soulstone into our heads in the end cutscene. Queue Diablo 4 speculation for 10 years :P