Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

If you have a home robber at your mercy, should it be a crime to execute him?

Basically, someone or few people armed with any weapons invade your home at midnight, and you whip out a shotgun to get the jump on them. Assuming you haven't killed them on the spot and force them to relinquish their weapons and get on their knees, should it REALLY be considered a crime to kill them in these instances?

I've read on stories where these scenarios did happen (the execute part) and, while the person that killed his assailants don't really ever get crazy punishments, they still go to jail for a time. Like, why?

Threat is over at that point so yes.

I despise "what if" scenarios. The actual event is rarely ever so neat. (Yes, you could get away with executing them if they had weapons...)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recon it takes a good dose of 'psychopath' to not understand why executing people is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Threat is over at that point so yes.
    no it's fucking NOT. What is stopping these people from coming back? The moment they invade your home to hurt you, the moment they lose their rights as human beings and revert to wild animals for putting down.

That is the justifaction I recall for a man that heard noises and set bear traps in his home the robbers stepped on. After which, he showed up guns blazing and killed them. He was sent to jail.

If you enter someone's home, you forfeit your life right there. Should be legal to kill them. Letting them go only leaves the threat alive.

Yes, of course.
    You don't shoot an unarmed person.
    This would be a crime even in war, of course it's a crime when it's a simply thief.

You won, it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    no it's fucking NOT. What is stopping these people from coming back? The moment they invade your home to hurt you, the moment they lose their rights as human beings and revert to wild animals for putting down.

That is the justifaction I recall for a man that heard noises and set bear traps in his home the robbers stepped on. After which, he showed up guns blazing and killed them. He was sent to jail.
    You never said you let them leave. You have them at gunpoint on their knees. The threat is over.

And you don't think there's anything wrong with his justification when you wrote out what the outcome was?

If they're 'at your mercy,' you call the police. You don't execute them. Or do you not have a phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The why part: because the homeowner is not longer behaving in a posture of self-defense.

The OP:

Yes it should be a crime, because you are taking the law into your hands rather than submitting yourself and the criminals to justice, and giving them a chance to better themselves.

This however, I think, should only apply if they submit to your authority (the gun in hand) and surrender. If they don't surrender and are an active threat (attacking you, rather than running away), go for it. Just remember peroxide is the best things to remove blood stains from clothes and carpet. I know about the cloths, from a paramedic after a car accident.

Be prepared though, most people who kill in self-defense need counseling afterwards. Taking a life isn't an easy thing but, if they are attacking you or invading your home, well it's them or you.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    The threat is gone at that point, the cops show up, the intruder goes to jail... Yes, it should absolutely be a crime to execute someone who isn't currently a threat.

You are the kind of person that give gun rights advocates a bad name.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

They are at my mercy if they enter my home uninvited. Killing them is a bit much, but I will not shy away from breaking their bones if there is a need to.

Deleted
    Dunno... If you are some frail old lady who's "apprehended" a few thugs in your house, how do you go about making a phone call without fearing that these thugs somehow overpower you. If you are in fear of your life what are our rights in this case? Can't say I have an opinion, seems too situational to have a say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    I'd recon it takes a good dose of 'psychopath' to not understand why executing people is wrong.
    Depends on the situation. Killing always does. That's why some killing isn't labeled murder. No one should ever be obligated to cater to the well-being of someone who poses a threat.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-06-14 at 12:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it should be a crime. If the threat to your life is no longer there then you have no justification in shooting them and would just be a murderer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Depends on the situation. Killing always does. That's why some killing isn't labeled murder.
    Executing is always wrong.

Killing can be OK (in self defense/defense of another), but never as anything other than a last resort.

Basically, someone or few people armed with any weapons invade your home at midnight, and you whip out a shotgun to get the jump on them. Assuming you haven't killed them on the spot and force them to relinquish their weapons and get on their knees, should it REALLY be considered a crime to kill them in these instances?

I've read on stories where these scenarios did happen (the execute part) and, while the person that killed his assailants don't really ever get crazy punishments, they still go to jail for a time. Like, why?
    If they are not armed then you can get charged for murder because that is what you did. You can't claim self defense since they weren't a threat. Are you nuts? No amount of mental gymnastics will get you to a conclusion it is rational and justified to pull the trigger.

Deleted
    If you kill someone after they surrender you just committed murder. Killing them before any surrender, we call that self defense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, it all depends on how they behave. If they shoot at me, i'm gonna fucking shoot back. If they get caught and they don't try to do anything, and they are very very sorry for what they have done, i'm just gonna call the police and let them deal with it. Or... if they have a gun pointed at them and they are acting like dickheads i'm prob gonna shoot their kneecaps off, and contact the police and then call selfdefense. It's all in the person/people....