Poll: Is modern WoW the same WoW you fell in love with?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has been with me with 12 years, I havent given up on it yet... I put too much time and effort into this game lol.

I may not play it as much as I used to but its still WoW, its not completely alienated me from what I loved about it. Unfortunately growing up has kind of drifted me away from WoW, but thats not really Blizzard's fault, thats more real life's fault :P

My abilty to love the game like I used to has been skewed . Fuck you real life :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-06-14 at 01:50 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Yes and better.

But hey, people who lurks here are grumpy old people anyway.

Then we have a whole OTHER community, who are online, enjoying it everyday.
    Not sure if its better lol, remeber when wow had 12 million... oh yea i do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    If it was I'd still be subscribed.

Deleted
    It ain't the same but it doesn't have to be.

I'm not the same person 12 years ago. This whole concept of keeping things the same over decades is absolutely retarded. Like some sort of coddling sensation because people are scared of change.

Get over yourselves. The people lamenting over days long gone are worse than the people who defend the game over every little aspect. At least they're progressing rather than kicking and screaming.
    Last edited by mmoccad4d490dd; 2017-06-14 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Yeah i agree, in fact the first expansion and best expansion was on Azero.... oh wait...... Anyway this damn Burning Legion! It's all Wrathion fault and damn Pandas.... what?.... are you sure? Burning Legion is as old as WoW itself?............
    Do you have an actual point for your post? Prior to the Burning Crusade, the Draenei didn't exist as we know them, the Burning Legion was merely a demonic army with no development, and the bulk of the lore was... for all intents... non existent.

Wow is far better.

I am a lot different.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post

I'm not the same person 12 years ago. This whole concept of keeping things the same over decades is absolutely retarded. Like some sort of coddling sensation because people are scared of change.

Get over yourselves. The people lamenting over days long gone are worse than the people who defend the game over every little aspect. At least they're progressing rather than kicking and screaming.
    So, in other words, people can't discuss the current state of the game. Gotcha!

Unless you started playing in Legion of course it isn't. That isn't a good or bad thing, but a game of this age is going to change and reinvent many features over and over.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Do you have an actual point for your post? Prior to the Burning Crusade, the Draenei didn't exist as we know them, the Burning Legion was merely a demonic army with no development, and the bulk of the lore was... for all intents... non existent.
    Well, you are complaining about Burning Legion, and well that's actually a HUGE part of WoW story since Vanilla...... In every expansion the Burning Legion is wihtin use, WoTLK, Cata and so on.....

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    No, it isn't

The only thing redeeming World of Warcraft at the moment is the existence of LFR. I can't imagine WoW without LFR in it's current state. It would be a sight to most definitely avoid.
    Someone praising LFR while also (seemingly) making it sound like they prefer WoW when it was better? A rarity for sure. I do much prefer the old LFG though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I was talking with some friends recently, one of which is actually new to WoW as of Legion. They were wondering why so many players were negative against what they consider a great game. Ultimately we came to the conclusion that its not so much that Legion is a bad expansion, but its simply not the WoW the veteran players fell in love with.
    Or, the answer is right there in the question. There are very few games, changed or otherwise, that evoke the same response 10+ years later as they do when new. Same goes for players: game changes, players change too. There are people who were 17 or 18 when they started that are now nearing 30.

I can guarantee you one thing: If the game hadn't changed over time, it would be dead now.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-06-14 at 03:06 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    So, in other words, people can't discuss the current state of the game. Gotcha!
    You're free to discuss it just as much as I'm free to tell people to get over themselves. I understand that people have their feelings for WoW but jesus christ if people are gunna be such a crybaby about a video game like they lost an old friend then that's just pathetic.

If you want to accept me as the authority on the situation then by all means.
    Last edited by mmoccad4d490dd; 2017-06-14 at 03:07 PM.

I can still enjoy retail from time to time, but its definately not the game that it used to be. If anything I would almost consider it a whole different game, considering how much the focus has shifted where its just the end game that matters with repeatable content. I miss the community aspect of the game when you were rewarded for being nice and punished for being a dick. This is what makes a MMORPG great imo, but the game today feels to much like a singleplayer with some raiding.

WoW has completely changed since its beginning. It's absolutely not the same game at all (though it obviously share many core design).
    Some will prefer the new version, some will prefer the old.
    Today's WoW certainly feel much more "World of Diablo" than "World of Warcraft", that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post

This argument is what is retarded. It just repeats mindlessly the trite slogan that "things must change" without actually providing a real reason why it should be so.
    There is nothing intrinsically good about change itself (changing for the better is good, but changing for the worse isn't, it's not change itself but the kind of change which counts), and there is no logical reason why a game should morph into another game.

Nope.

Which is why I'm not playing Legion... but well... since we can't mention it here, it involves Lich Kings and Northrends.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Not really, actually WoW today have nothing to do with WoW when i started in TBC. Its like a different game that use the same name.

When WoW came along, it was a game miles ahead of any other comparable MMO, and the community was awesome.

Then over the expansions, Blizzard decided to try make WoW more accessible for the facebook generation, by adding all sorts of incentives for instant gratification.
    These changes transformed the community into the social-media trolls that it mostly consist of today.

So even if some good improvements ofcourse has been added aswell, Blizzard should really never have listen to people who were not interrested in playing the game.

No, it's very different, mostly in positive ways(and most of that positive change being from pre-Legion)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Survival hunters are dead
    Retribution paladins are dead

Nope, it's not the same WoW.
    Well, retribution paladins did not exist when I started playing, so it's only a good thing that this made-for-clowns spec is dead, if it is really dead but I doubt it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    This argument is what is retarded. It just repeats mindlessly the trite slogan that "things must change" without actually providing a real reason why it should be so.
    There is nothing intrinsically good about change itself (changing for the better is good, but changing for the worse isn't, it's not change itself but the kind of change which counts), and there is no logical reason why a game should morph into another game.
    You want arguments as to why things should change? Ok lets see...

• Subjectivity as to whether change is good or bad.
    • Shifting market demands and demographics.
    • Need for industry innovation which is largely trial and error.
    • Need for story continuation which can lead to the development of new mechanics (Artifact weapons, new classes, new races).
    • Hardware/software improving at an exponential rate.
    • The game is twelve years old.

etc, etc, etc.

The game at its core is still the same, and while Blizzard is responsible for a lot of changes it also comes down to public perception of MMOs in general. My main argument is that...it's a fucking game. The people who act as if it's the worst thing to happen clearly have perspective issues.

People are free to argue their reasoning but they should stop confusing objectivity and subjectivity because it makes them look like idiots bickering on a tabloid newpaper comments section.

As to whether it's morphing into another game? No. It's still an MMO based in the Warcraft universe. Come back to me when it becomes a top down hack n' slash dungeon crawler then I'll accept this whole "world of Diablo" shite that people spout. The claims of people saying it's turning into another game are gross exaggerations done by people who are trying to be witty and poignant.
    Last edited by mmoccad4d490dd; 2017-06-14 at 03:28 PM.