Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Making fun of somebody's race isn't quite on the same level as making fun of somebody's complete disregard for everything that isn't him.
    Making fun of the President by school children is same level no matter who the president is.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Trump weren't portrayed as a pig, it would've been a very clever and innocent meme.
    So much potential... wasted.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Oh my fucking god, we truly live in 1984.

I wonder if the left would be spewing the same "free speech" cliches if it would've been a painting depicting Obama as a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebleeds View Post
    Oh my fucking god, we truly live in 1984.
    Yeah, a school removing a pointedly vulgar reference is absolutely the same as Orwell's dystopian societies.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

10+ Year Old Account
    This was a topic on the radio again last night, and a caller made a good point. This is a sexual vulgarity, which is not permitted in school. The missile painting should be allowed, but the one with the cat should have been removed as it is a crude sexual reference.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Something got lost in translation I believe? The guy I quoted was bringing up Obama and people being racist against him, while comparing that to the insults that our current president, for the most part, brings onto himself almost daily.
    No, I was agreeing with you. Trump being depicted in this manner, has nothing to do with race. The people claiming it does are only trying to fool themselves, and the person you quoted is one of them.

Man - who cares? Beheading him is clearly over the line, but this is just making fun of him. What is he? The Dear Leader? You can't make fun of your own leader now? Cmon America

Oh, oh, I get it, he is grabbing the pussy.

Wasted potential for clickbait title.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Man - who cares? Beheading him is clearly over the line, but this is just making fun of him. What is he? The Dear Leader? You can't make fun of your own leader now? Cmon America
    I must have imagined the literal deluge of TV/social media/websites making fun of him to this point, and I guess I missed the part where a single high school in NJ is shorthand for "America." Not to mention, as I said above, it's a vulgar reference if you consider why he's holding the cat. As a political cartoon it's really well-done. as a HS art project it's not appropriate.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    White people are often referred to as pigs or "pinky" by black people.

Thats why one of the slang terms that black people use for money is "pig faces"
    It also is a derogatory term for cops or people who engage in poor behavior. I'm fairly certain the pig part painting has nothing to do with race (or cops), more Trump's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...sident_tr.html

MORRISTOWN -- A Morristown High School student's controversial art project featuring a porcine version of President Donald Trump holding an agitated cat has been removed from the school's annual Art & Design Show amidst complaints.

Liam Shea's other work -- a painting of Trump on a missile taking a selfie -- was also removed, according to a report by MorristownGreen.com. The theme for the show was "America Takes a Selfie."

Despite the removal of her son's paintings from the show, Kelly Zeis Shea said her son will abide by the principal's decision.

"Although I was disappointed that the school decided to remove both pieces, Liam welcomed the controversy," she said. "He holds no ill will over the decision and has the utmost respect for the principal and all his teachers at MHS. He has no intention of demanding it be returned to the display or causing any trouble for the school."

To quote a wise philosopher, "That's just funny, right dere. I don't care who you are."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It also is a derogatory term for cops or people who engage in poor behavior. I'm fairly certain the pig part painting has nothing to do with race (or cops), more Trump's behavior.
    Sexist pig is what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    Wow the student's reaction to them taking it down was quite mature. With that mindset and talent, that kid's going places.
    I agree. No matter where you land on the political spectrum, I like this kid's attitude.

In a way, the controversy just makes his/her art way more prominent. If the controversy didn't happen, we would never see his work or know even who he is. Now he/she gets their 15minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    To quote a wise philosopher, "That's just funny, right dere. I don't care who you are."

- - - Updated - - -

Sexist pig is what it means.
    Yeah that is how I interpreted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Again, Freedom of Speech doesn't mean it doesn't have consequences, or that you're free to hang your free speech wherever you want.
    Of course, you're right.
    It's just a tad ironic when the people that are first to defend this are the same people that explode all over the forums when racist comments or things of that nature are removed or rewarded with an infraction.

It's odd that free speech is only ok when it servers your own agenda, thats all.
    Last edited by Aggrophobic; 2017-06-14 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Of course, you're right.
    It's just a tad ironic when the people that are first to defend this are the same people that explode all over the forums when racis comments or things of that nature are removed or rewarded with an infraction.

It's odd that free speech is only ok when it servers your own agenda, thats all.
    That's just the reality. People can't be consistent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Illustration and cartoons are one of the oldest tools of political satire/criticism, i like the way this kid's showing his stance towards Trump.

The school should not be afraid of showing this kid's artwork unless its against the contest's rules.